• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would definitely be worth asking them directly if they can fit on or take orders for Atelier de Luca. A friend who is one of the best dressed guys around, Paul, wears a lot of the atelier stuff. I am à deeply insecure person so always ordered the OG Camps de Luca line but he looks great.

Yeah I met Paul from Luxembourg a number of years ago and he spoke highly of CdL. CdL offered to let me pick up my Atelier de Luca order during this trip but sadly I’ll be out of town. So I imagine there’s a good chance they’ll offer the AdL option too.

The AdL basted fitting stage seemed to me like a regular bespoke fitting. I don’t mind the machine work since it saves me so much $$$. I’ll have to see how I feel about it after I’ve lived with it for a while.

Old Red

Reaction score
The other day I mentioned to the wife I was thinking of going to NYC to begin fitting for a De Luca suit with a follow up in Paris. She was fine until I mentioned the price; I think I heard her teeth grinding. This morning she said she was okay with it. I won't do it yet but I will be stopping with her into the atelier next month to get her used to the idea that it could happen.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day I mentioned to the wife I was thinking of going to NYC to begin fitting for a De Luca suit with a follow up in Paris. She was fine until I mentioned the price; I think I heard her teeth grinding. This morning she said she was okay with it. I won't do it yet but I will be stopping with her into the atelier next month to get her used to the idea that it could happen.
Did you tell her it’s an investment that will last a lifetime as long as you don’t gain or lose too much weight?

Old Red

Reaction score
Did you tell her it’s an investment that will last a lifetime as long as you don’t gain or lose too much weight?

Being someone who remembers working steam engines that argument will draw much laughter from my wife.

My son could inherit; my grandsons are all inches taller than I am.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Old Red

Reaction score
I finally got through the whole thread. Really enjoyed it. A question, is the half cutaway collar quite common? More so than I see on this (the west) side of the Atlantic?

I wish we could see more discussion on shirting.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I finally got through the whole thread. Really enjoyed it. A question, is the half cutaway collar quite common? More so than I see on this (the west) side of the Atlantic?

Not sure what you mean by half cutaway, but the col francais is basically a normal English spread collar with a lower profile, so nothing cut away. If by shirting you mean shirt cloth (the correct meaning of shirting), there have been threads about that stuff. Shirtmaking is something that can be discussed on this thread inasmuch as it relates to the Paris shirtmakers.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this post is good for Parisian shirt makers.

I had some shirts made by Mary Frittolini and I consider them the best shirts I own. I had Geneva duplicate the collar shape. I like a high spread collar with long points. The other detail to Marys shirts is the curve made at the elbow that I have not seen anyone else replicate. I think she cuts a wide elbow and narrows it at the wrist with 3+4 pleats. Perhaps that’s the way they made sleeves at Lanvin (She trained with someone who used to work there).

Nico

Reaction score
Talking about Parisian shirtmakers, has anyone tried Lauwers, now via Smalto? Does he travel at all?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Talking about Parisian shirtmakers, has anyone tried Lauwers, now via Smalto? Does he travel at all?
He is my shirtmaker and the best currently working that I have used. I don't think Smalto travels at all unless you're some kind of potentate who flies the tailor or shirtmaker over.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up my Atelier de Luca coat and I like it. The silhouette is quite different from anything else I have (Steed, NSM, Chan, Formosa). The combination of fish mouth lapel, slight positive lapel belly, strong shoulder and built chest gives a more angular shape (vs say Steed that is a bit more round).

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1568A76D-8F5C-46F7-89EF-236D7711B91E.jpeg

AdL with Milanese button hole, cran de Luca, cigarette shoulder

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.