• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
First of all, let me say that the First picture is not very flattering look. It may be the camera angle (everybody else around here blames it, so you can too!
smile.gif
), but you look like you've got a big head, is 5" tall, and has a 12" drop with two twiggy sticks for legs. The pose you strike reminds me of an ex-forumite (forgot his name) who has a body-builder physique and always look funny in posts.

You would have done better going with a black bowtie. The silver colored bowtie you've got on is huge, and just brings attention to the head/neck area (making you "top heavy")

I'm not a fan, at all, of a tuxedo shirt being patterned like yours. And if you are going with such traditional looks, why skimp on the shirt studs?

Please tell me you are NOT wearing a pair of monkstraps?
frown.gif

Drzzt, I was thinking the exact same thing.

The OP should have indeed gotten pleated pants to fill out his legs some.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
First of all, let me say that the First picture is not very flattering look. It may be the camera angle (everybody else around here blames it, so you can too!
smile.gif
), but you look like you've got a big head, is 5" tall, and has a 12" drop with two twiggy sticks for legs. The pose you strike reminds me of an ex-forumite (forgot his name) who has a body-builder physique and always look funny in posts.

You would have done better going with a black bowtie. The silver colored bowtie you've got on is huge, and just brings attention to the head/neck area (making you "top heavy")

I'm not a fan, at all, of a tuxedo shirt being patterned like yours. And if you are going with such traditional looks, why skimp on the shirt studs?

Please tell me you are NOT wearing a pair of monkstraps?
frown.gif

Originally Posted by M.D.
Are those brown monkstraps?

No worries, I lost the monkstraps in favor of my (unfortunately ugly) black shoes. Let's say that picture was a first draft.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between the decision of a cummerbund or a waistcoat, are there any pros or cons of the two? I have a TaT tuxedo which is a rather fashion forward cut but with traditional detailing and I can't stand wearing it without some waist covering.

cnh121

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
I'm torn between the decision of a cummerbund or a waistcoat, are there any pros or cons of the two? I have a TaT tuxedo which is a rather fashion forward cut but with traditional detailing and I can't stand wearing it without some waist covering.
Read the section about waist coverings in the Black Tie Guide first. "Either covering may be paired with either style of dinner jacket lapel, but the expert consensus is that the formality and pointed tips of the waistcoat harmonizes best with the angularity of the peaked lapel while the informality and curved outline of the cummerbund best complements the streamlined shawl collar." All in all, the cummerbund is less formal. But I think a nice looking low cut waist coat is harder to find. Most of the waist coats sold look like a suit vest. And you can easily end up looking like a prom date. "The obsequious high-buttoning formal vests available from today's formalwear retailers are essentially glorified three-piece suit vests and as such are definitely not classic. Rather, the traditional evening waistcoat is distinguished by a low-buttoning design that is intended to conceal the trouser waist (thus its name) and the suspenders without obscuring the formal shirt’s elegantly decorated bib." - BTG

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I guess there ARE true black tie events in DC-- maybe a tuxedo is a required staple here, after all. VERY few at the party last night without a tux or some version of it.

my buddy's double vented peaked lapel tux was really stellar-- complete with cream silk vest, john hardy studs and links, and a glen plaid pocket silk.

for me, same brioni tuxedo, borrellli shirt, Talbott tie, cheany patent leather shoes as prev posted
gray brioni cotton pocketsquare
Asprey silver double sided oval cufflinks
JLC steel reverso classique
silver and gold waterman pen

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JMP

Reaction score
I have the same one, and it shouldn't be too hot for year round wear. I think that the 2% really adds a soft feeling is worth it. I am extremely satifsied with mine.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to throw my hat in the ring:

L1030757.JPG

L1030762.JPG

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Attachment 46139 My son before his performance with the Cincinnati Pops, performance this past spring.
I hate criticizing when the poster is not actually the person in the picture... seems kind of wrong to rip on someone when they're not the actual party putting themselves up in front of the ruthless members of SF. That said... if this is a formalwear pRon thread, that's the equivalent of granny pRon. It's painful, but you can't look away. Jacket has notch lapels, bowtie looks like a clip-on (I hope it's not), flap pockets instead of jetted pockets and the entire jacket looks two sizes too big - noticeably the shoulders which seem 2 inches too wide. I'm guessing it's a rental? Much like the granny. Oh, snap.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Recent acquisition, not very traditional.
O8.jpg

TC you look incredible! You are the present day Tyrone Power!

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Time to throw my hat in the ring:

L1030757.JPG

L1030762.JPG

Nice, clean. The wing collar looks great in this ensemble. Good amount of cuff showing too. Wish shoes were visible, and I think maybe a little more waist suppression could make a good thing even better, but it's hard to tell with the poses if that's necessary.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing TC and intent pictures juxtaposed like this, it seems to me that it's very clear that black studs add a lot to a formal outfit. Makes a big difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads