• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Very nice. You are going to be the best dressed for sure
smile.gif
What is the suit?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You still didn't tell us who the maker is...or is that you secret?

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
I PMd the guy who asked, but it's no secret. It's just off-the-rack from M&S, a high street retail store in the UK (don't know if it exists in the US?)

In any case, I'm pleased with how the whole thing came together.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite an old pic, bad quality but somehow cool, unfortunately no detail shots.
Giving lessons in advanced douchebaggery.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Are you wearing a diagonal ribbon across your chest?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Kind of double post...discovered that thread too lately^^.

2me4pll.jpg

1z73swk.jpg

35n207n.jpg

Where, oh, where did you get that evening shirt? And where can I get it? Is it custom-made? I'm in love.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's ideed custom made, (vintage hand me down with single link cuffs, boiled front and no collar).
You even have put it on over your head as it doesn't button below the starched front!
I'm using a less anachronistic attachable collar piquee-front shirt (or a normal turn down collar double cuff pleated front evening shirt) mostly now as it is easier to cope with...most dry cleaners don't know how to starch properly a boiled front evening shirt.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
I have a school leavers' prom in the next few days (a load of 17/18 year olds doing 'black tie' - how bad can it be?
biggrin.gif
), and have just finished putting the final touches on my 'ensemble'.

ok27b8.jpg

35hqv7l.jpg

30k4msp.jpg

nvbgco.jpg

That's awesome
worship.gif

Details?

And can I have permission to plaster this in every "I need help for prom thread!!!" in response to all the posters who say "You can't look good, you're young, just go and have a fun time"?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Where, oh, where did you get that evening shirt? And where can I get it? Is it custom-made? I'm in love.
http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/list_ewear.php I have the first shirt and if you want to go for the look CN is wearing, it should do the trick. The second one is also quite stiff and maybe easier to starch at home, but the bib front shirt is the real deal! Stiff attachable collars are to be had in the collar section.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/list_ewear.php

I have the first shirt and if you want to go for the look CN is wearing, it should do the trick.
The second one is also quite stiff and maybe easier to starch at home, but the bib front shirt is the real deal!
Stiff attachable collars are to be had in the collar section.

Thanks! I wonder what the fit is like.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie

You can also get one here.

I have this one. My only objection to the BB shirt is that the collar that comes with it is really short. I bought a couple of taller collars from a seller in London that I wear with it. Here are two pics of the shirt, one with the BB collar and one with the taller collar.

006_6-1.jpg
Formal1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads