• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding Bigfoot

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Dr. Melba is going to prove the existence of Bigfoot and 2013 will be the "Year of the Sasquatch." Somehow, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I note that Dr. Melba keeps saying the BF is a hybrid of human and "something else"...well what else?

Moldy fake fur?

:lol:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took a trip to Denali with a guy who could spot a caribou on a mountainside from several miles away, without binoculars, or a bear in dense brush from a good mile off. I'm generally pretty good at spotting wildlife, and "Trapper Ito" blew my mind with how quickly he could spot things. He's seen pretty much every large mammal in North America, including a number of wolverine sightings, which is widely regarded as the most elusive animal on the continent. I never asked him specifically about Bigfoot (didn't want to seem like an idiot), but I did ask what have been the hardest animals for him to spot - he mentioned wolverines and jaguars. If he hasn't seen a bigfoot, I'm pretty confident that there aren't any to be seen.
These marsupialed videos just reinforce how stupid the whole Bigfoot thing really is, it's essentially a marketing scam. One that you've fallen for, hook line and sinker.

I was reflecting on this this morning. For all their elusiveness, these animals turn up regularly on wildlife cameras with excellent images. "Buddy," who may be the lone wolverine in the Sierras of California, was discovered via a wildlife camera. I am a supporter of the Northern Jaguar Project, who are buying up habitat for the northernmost breeding population of jaguars in Sonora. They get all kinds of good pictures of jaguars on their wildlife cameras..

Yet somehow Bigfoots never show up.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jan,
I read an article recently and thought of you. A Bobcat attacked a man in his garage in Massachusetts. The got pretty beat up, scratches everywhere. The cat then attacked the mans wife and his nephew or son, he was able to get the cat off them and the wife got a gun and killed the cat. My question is, they said the animal was about 30 pounds and they showed a picture of a bobcat which looked like an overgrown cat. I would've thought you could just punch out something that size :confused: are these things that vicious and how common are they in the northeast?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobcats are plenty tough. Braggartly men used to claim they could "lick their weight in wildcats." I doubt if anyone could in reality. A 30-pounder is a pretty good-sized one although rare specimens get considerably larger. However, they are usually very shy and elusive animals, and attacks on humans are very rare. Most of those involve rabid animals. I suspect that the cat in question somehow got cornered in the garage and decided that a good offense was the best defense. There are supposed to be somewhere in the vicinity of a million bobcats distributed over much of North America. At one time they were thought to be extinct in large tracts of the Northeast, but with the re-forestation of much of the region, they are evidently making a comeback.

I have seen a couple of bobcats in the wild--one in Sycamore Canyon in Pt. Mugu State Park, another near Idlewild, California.

Some men have killed leopards with their bare hands, so I suppose any active, vigorous man would get the best of a fight with a bobcat, but he would sure get torn up pretty well, as happened here. It is very possible that the cat in this incident was rabid. I gather tests are being conducted.

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I saw the pictures of that guy's face. Rough. Given the bobcat had the element of surprise, the guy didn't exactly look like he was in any sort of active shape, I'm not surprised he got worked over. Think about how hard it is to hold a pissed-off housecat. Now double the weight, lengthen the claws and teeth, and you'd get pretty fucked up.

As for men killing leopards with their bare hands - I'm sure it's been done. But I'd wager it's a very short list. And I doubt the leopards were completely healthy in most cases.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really sure how you kill a leopard unless you get very bloody lucky and it's a smaller animal.

Those bobcat wounds look no worse that those from a good-sized housecat. Some time ago I placed a dog with some people who had a cat. I told them not to put the animals together for a month or so. The same day the woman decided to "introduce" them and held the cat in her arms as she bent over the dog. Naturally the dog tried to take the cat's head off and the cat raked the **** out of the woman's face and arms trying to get away. Put her in the hospital for two weeks. I took the dog back.

lefty

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I took a trip to Denali with a guy who could spot a caribou on a mountainside from several miles away, without binoculars, or a bear in dense brush from a good mile off. I'm generally pretty good at spotting wildlife, and "Trapper Ito" blew my mind with how quickly he could spot things. He's seen pretty much every large mammal in North America, including a number of wolverine sightings, which is widely regarded as the most elusive animal on the continent. I never asked him specifically about Bigfoot (didn't want to seem like an idiot), but I did ask what have been the hardest animals for him to spot - he mentioned wolverines and jaguars. If he hasn't seen a bigfoot, I'm pretty confident that there aren't any to be seen.
These marsupialed videos just reinforce how stupid the whole Bigfoot thing really is, it's essentially a marketing scam. One that you've fallen for, hook line and sinker.

That's the problem. The assholes that make those videos keep honest research at bay. Its definitely the most elusive animal on the continent, probably the world. There are tens of thousands of hunters and outdoors-men that have never seen a BF. There are so few that it's statistically less likely to see it than the animals you quote. Not to mention they're nocturnal and know you're there ages in advance of any approach. I'm being speculative here, but ya, its not surprising to me he's never seen one.

They are smarter then the average bear. :crackup:

Gotta give that credit. Touche.

In all seriousness (in this very serious thread), if they are in fact mostly hominid, they they are way smarter than forest animals. Can't find that vid but it was of SAS soldiers hiding with people walking within 12 inches of them. Plus, the BF supposedly sees like a cat at night. Its very explainable why it is so rarely seen.

Jan,
I read an article recently and thought of you. A Bobcat attacked a man in his garage in Massachusetts. The got pretty beat up, scratches everywhere. The cat then attacked the mans wife and his nephew or son, he was able to get the cat off them and the wife got a gun and killed the cat. My question is, they said the animal was about 30 pounds and they showed a picture of a bobcat which looked like an overgrown cat. I would've thought you could just punch out something that size :confused: are these things that vicious and how common are they in the northeast?

Size is meaningless. Look at the Honey Badger. I saw a doc where a leopard fought that ****** for an entire hour before it killed it. How long would it take to shred one of us? 30 seconds.

That bobcat might have been rabid. But wild animals are very strong, so much stronger than humans. Just look what a chimp can do.

I saw the pictures of that guy's face. Rough. Given the bobcat had the element of surprise, the guy didn't exactly look like he was in any sort of active shape, I'm not surprised he got worked over. Think about how hard it is to hold a pissed-off housecat. Now double the weight, lengthen the claws and teeth, and you'd get pretty fucked up.
As for men killing leopards with their bare hands - I'm sure it's been done. But I'd wager it's a very short list. And I doubt the leopards were completely healthy in most cases.

I had to wash a cat with fleas once, I couldn't hold it down in the bath. And this was a lazy ass sleeping cat that just ate and **** and didn't even chase bugs around the house. Scratched the **** out of my forearm and then bit my wrist, deep ass bite too.

Didn't Manute Bol claim to have killed a lion the same way?

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the problem. The assholes that make those videos keep honest research at bay. Its definitely the most elusive animal on the continent, probably the world. There are tens of thousands of hunters and outdoors-men that have never seen a BF. There are so few that it's statistically less likely to see it than the animals you quote. Not to mention they're nocturnal and know you're there ages in advance of any approach. I'm being speculative here, but ya, its not surprising to me he's never seen one.
In all seriousness (in this very serious thread), if they are in fact mostly hominid, they they are way smarter than forest animals. Can't find that vid but it was of SAS soldiers hiding with people walking within 12 inches of them. Plus, the BF supposedly sees like a cat at night. Its very explainable why it is so rarely seen.

And they supposedly have cloaks of invisibility (just being speculative here).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is real man, not Harry Potter :embar:

Or its

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Or, you know, they don't exist.

I love all this rationalization after the fact stuff. It's hilarious. You should pick up a couple more mythological creatures and come up with elaborate fantasy explanations for why they might exist too, based solely on total lack of evidence . How about unicorns? My Little Pony?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seriously? Did he pump it full of ketamine first?

I didn't remember the story correct. It was actually a spear....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manute_Bol

Or, you know, they don't exist.
I love all this rationalization after the fact stuff. It's hilarious. You should pick up a couple more mythological creatures and come up with elaborate fantasy explanations for why they might exist too, based solely on total lack of evidence . How about unicorns? My Little Pony?

There is a lot of evidence, its just not indisputable yet.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, there are about 15 million licensed hunters in the U.S. Let's add to that an enormous number of other outdoor enthusiasts--campers, hikers, mountain bikers, rock climbers, etc.--as well as people whose work takes them into the woods. An absolutely minuscule percentage of these so much as claim to have seen a Bigfoot.

There have been maybe two or three jaguars that have entered the USA in recent years, yet these elusive animals, with much better natural camouflage than a BF is supposed to have, were photographed and documented, yet the "ten thousand" Bigfoots you claim manage to avoid ever catching a bullet or even getting an unimpeachable photo taken of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads