• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding Bigfoot

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I said north of Frederick near the PA border.

Over much of which area, near the PA border, the population density varies between 250 and 1,000 per square mile! In the less densely populated areas, it is, as i said, between 50 and 100.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Over much of which area, near the PA border, the population density varies between 250 and 1,000 per square mile! In the less densely populated areas, it is, as i said, between 50 and 100.

I agree, there are less people on the western edge of MD and eastern shores. I've no specifics on the location.

Much of the land looks farmed, although there is a pretty large state park(s) there:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fred...ox-a&hnear=Frederick,+Maryland&gl=us&t=h&z=10

From this higher level view, you can see how it connects to larger swathes of forest land:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fred...fox-a&hnear=Frederick,+Maryland&gl=us&t=h&z=8

My guess is if it was real it happened more west, towards Hagerstown, you can see a lot more contiguous forested land in that direction than around Frederick. Like here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.5...312&spn=2.709367,4.460449&num=1&t=k&gl=us&z=8

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I saw the pictures of that guy's face. Rough. Given the bobcat had the element of surprise, the guy didn't exactly look like he was in any sort of active shape, I'm not surprised he got worked over. Think about how hard it is to hold a pissed-off housecat. Now double the weight, lengthen the claws and teeth, and you'd get pretty fucked up.

As for men killing leopards with their bare hands - I'm sure it's been done. But I'd wager it's a very short list. And I doubt the leopards were completely healthy in most cases.

Killed him a ba'er, when he was only three.
Daveeeeeey, Davey Crockett! King of the Wild Frontier.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The noted naturalist, taxidermist and wildlife sculptor Carl Akeley killed a leopard that jumped him by forcing his fist down its throat and then crushing its ribcage with his knees. The leopard was not a huge one, only about 80 pounds according to some accounts, but Akeley wasn't in very good shape either, having just recovered from a bad bout of malaria.

American frontiersman, African adventurer and professional hunter "Bwana" Charles Cottar was once jumped simultaneously by two leopards. Cottar, a large, powerful man, grabbed each of them by the neck and killed them by bashing their heads together repeatedly. I suspect the leopards may have been subadults, but even so, it would be a very impressive feat. Cottar was eventually killed by a charging rhino.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will read up on Cottar.

The fist in mouth thing works on dogs as well. You just have to be willing to suffer the damage that comes from getting into the mouth.

lefty

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The noted naturalist, taxidermist and wildlife sculptor Carl Akeley killed a leopard that jumped him by forcing his fist down its throat and then crushing its ribcage with his knees. The leopard was not a huge one, only about 80 pounds according to some accounts, but Akeley wasn't in very good shape either, having just recovered from a bad bout of malaria.

American frontiersman, African adventurer and professional hunter "Bwana" Charles Cottar was once jumped simultaneously by two leopards. Cottar, a large, powerful man, grabbed each of them by the neck and killed them by bashing their heads together repeatedly. I suspect the leopards may have been subadults, but even so, it would be a very impressive feat. Cottar was eventually killed by a charging rhino.

I'm surprised either one of them could walk, with balls that big.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
This i

I agree, there are less people on the western edge of MD and eastern shores. I've no specifics on the location.

Much of the land looks farmed, although there is a pretty large state park(s) there:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fred...ox-a&hnear=Frederick,+Maryland&gl=us&t=h&z=10

From this higher level view, you can see how it connects to larger swathes of forest land:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fred...fox-a&hnear=Frederick,+Maryland&gl=us&t=h&z=8

My guess is if it was real it happened more west, towards Hagerstown, you can see a lot more contiguous forested land in that direction than around Frederick. Like here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.5...312&spn=2.709367,4.460449&num=1&t=k&gl=us&z=8

Almost all of this is second, third even fourth growth forest. Where was BF hiding out when the entire eastern seaboard was logged over repeatedly during the 18th and 19th centuries and was just vast areas of open farmland with small wood lots?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

IDFNL if you aren't already an attorney or a lobbyist, you should consider those fields.

You kidding, the way I get shredded in CE?

The noted naturalist, taxidermist and wildlife sculptor Carl Akeley killed a leopard that jumped him by forcing his fist down its throat and then crushing its ribcage with his knees

Will read up on Cottar.
The fist in mouth thing works on dogs as well. You just have to be willing to suffer the damage that comes from getting into the mouth.

****. This thread just got serious. I guess I know what to do now.

This i
Almost all of this is second, third even fourth growth forest. Where was BF hiding out when the entire eastern seaboard was logged over repeatedly during the 18th and 19th centuries and was just vast areas of open farmland with small wood lots?

Well, unless The Once-ler is also real and it wasn't all chopped down simultaneously to make Thneeds, I would imagine they chilled on the next mountaintop while they chopped the other hill. Forresting is a slow process.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the Eastern and Midwestern Bigfoots go, a correspondent of mine, who is also a BF buff, opined that the BFs returned to the area with the reforestation. I mean, moose have certainly done it in the Northeast, and mountain lions seem to be re-colonizing the eastern part of the country as well, so I suppose some of the big guys, assuming they existed, could have sneaked down from the boreal forests of Canada as well.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

:rolleyes:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find my source for the story of Cottar and the two leopards. Cottar had a couple other close-contact encounters with leopards, one of which precipitated his having a stroke.

Among other feats, Cottar used a .32 Winchester Special (a cartridge now regarded as sort of minimal for deer) to kill lion, rhino and Cape buffalo. I believe it also was Cottar who once killed a charging rhino with pickaxe! I know that it was done, and I believe Cottar was the guy who did it (although I'm not certain).

In any event, "Bwana" Cottar was definitely a real man.

I note that his family are still offering guiding and tourist services in Africa more than a century after he came out there.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In any event, "Bwana" Cottar was definitely a real man.

Reposting this gif.... another real man, how many here could stand still with this monster charging you?

In other news, Miss Idaho and oregon give a shout-out to Bigfoot at 3:00 and at 7:00

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

As far as the Eastern and Midwestern Bigfoots go, a correspondent of mine, who is also a BF buff, opined that the BFs returned to the area with the reforestation. I mean, moose have certainly done it in the Northeast, and mountain lions seem to be re-colonizing the eastern part of the country as well, so I suppose some of the big guys, assuming they existed, could have sneaked down from the boreal forests of Canada as well.

Those sneaky bigfeet!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those sneaky bigfeet!

Of course they're super-sneaky! How else could an eight-foot-tall creature avoid detection and classification by science over the past 400 years while living all over North America right under our very noses, it would seem.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrankArand