• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tekaddict

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I really like the look of the 72/24 hour bag with the 2 outer pockets. Looking at the green one now although the navy looks nice too.

milw50717

Reaction score

Visited the Filson factory in Seattle and the Bellingham Outlet store over the weekend. Bought a couple of items, including a tote bag, for the wife's birthday but nothing for myself which is a turn-up for the books as I usually find something or other that interests me. Is it possible that I have enough/too much Filson gear ? :D

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking of buying a bag for luggage.  I'm torn between the medium duffel and the Pullman.  Any suggestions?  I like the look of the pullman more but the strap anchor points on the back may be annoying.  The duffel seems more versatile but more of a pain to get things in and out of it.  Just my thoughts of the two without seeing them in person.  I also need them to fit in airline carry-on storage and I believe that they both will.  My edc is a 257 and I love it.

I saw Soletrane replied to this too, but thought I'd add my 2c.
I have both a large duffle and original size Pullman. I just did 2 weeks around Europe from Australia via Asia. I did the whole trip with the Pullman and 258 computer bag. The Pullman is awesome. Took it as carry on, and had no trouble carrying it through airports, train stations etc. it swallowed 2 suits and business gear, shoes, casual stuff, and still had room for a couple of purchases along the way. I don't find the strap attachment on just one side to be a problem, in fact I like the way it sits closer to the body.

The other thing for the Pullman is the clamshell. Super easy to open and pack, and the internal straps keep it all in place.

The medium duffle is a nice looking bag, but has fewer pockets and smaller opening to get stuff in and out of. It's perhaps a more 'classic' Filson item, than a Pullman. I use my duffel for trips where I have to check a bag, or situations where I'm happy to abuse it and get it dirty and beaten up. The Pullman is a prettier piece ;-)

Both are excellent and I don't think you'll regret either. If there is any time you want to feel a bit dressier then the Pullman works beautifully.

Have fun!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happened to be in London last week so stopped into the Filson store there. Thanks to Aimee who helped me out!

Scored a lovely Mackinaw wool vest (on sale!), and also the small travel kit. I've never been a fan of the large Dopp kits generally, so when I saw the small version on the Filson site I was interested.

I thought I'd post a couple of pics because I coudn't see many online.
Overall - very much as you would expect - solidly built twill with chunky zip. Leather strap at end is a little thinner than the bridle leather used for handles etc, but that's fine. Shape is good - sort of a trapezoid that means when the zip is undone the top is slightly open. Best of all for me, it compresses quite well, so doens't take up too much room. Equally, there is lots of space inside.

No internal pockets, but it is fully lined with nylon to allow wiping out when the inevitable leaks and spills occur.

This Filson thing is becoming a problem. Just ordered the classic Tin Cruiser (25% off at Backcountry.com)....

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw Soletrane replied to this too, but thought I'd add my 2c.
I have both a large duffle and original size Pullman. I just did 2 weeks around Europe from Australia via Asia. I did the whole trip with the Pullman and 258 computer bag. The Pullman is awesome. Took it as carry on, and had no trouble carrying it through airports, train stations etc. it swallowed 2 suits and business gear, shoes, casual stuff, and still had room for a couple of purchases along the way. I don't find the strap attachment on just one side to be a problem, in fact I like the way it sits closer to the body.

The other thing for the Pullman is the clamshell. Super easy to open and pack, and the internal straps keep it all in place.

The medium duffle is a nice looking bag, but has fewer pockets and smaller opening to get stuff in and out of. It's perhaps a more 'classic' Filson item, than a Pullman. I use my duffel for trips where I have to check a bag, or situations where I'm happy to abuse it and get it dirty and beaten up. The Pullman is a prettier piece ;-)

Both are excellent and I don't think you'll regret either. If there is any time you want to feel a bit dressier then the Pullman works beautifully.

Have fun!

Pretty solid advice. I agree the Pullman is a dressier piece than the more casual duffle.

Last edited:

steve04KU

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a padded computer bag for Christmas to use daily for work. I chose the navy color, as it feels a bit less casual when carrying it into business meetings. So far, no complaints.

My wife just got me the medium duffle (20" new version) for work travel. When I travel, I usually am only gone for 1-2 nights so the size seems perfect. She got me it in tan. And it's beautiful.

My debate is this: Is it wrong to carry mismatching bags? Computer bag in navy and medium duffle in tan?!

I know it's probably just personal preference, but was curious to hear responses. To match or not to match?!

Thanks all,

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve
I don't think there is any right or wrong here, just preference. My guess is that Filson customers are a not very conformist - the brand is too niche and it takes a certain determination to eschew the wheeled carryon and actually carry your stuff.

Personally I regularly carry an otter padded computer bag alongside a tan Pullman. I enjoy the variation.

Enjoy your bags.

(Oh and a tip- I found the extra internal divider in the computer bag to be unecessary. It's easy to remove and leaves a nice big open space, but still with a divider front and rear. With careful packing I can do a 2 day /1 night business trip with laptop, cables, clothes and Dopp kit in just the padded computer bag. )

damn_hammer

Reaction score

Hi all,

I got a padded computer bag for Christmas to use daily for work. I chose the navy color, as it feels a bit less casual when carrying it into business meetings. So far, no complaints.

My wife just got me the medium duffle (20" new version) for work travel. When I travel, I usually am only gone for 1-2 nights so the size seems perfect. She got me it in tan. And it's beautiful.

My debate is this: Is it wrong to carry mismatching bags? Computer bag in navy and medium duffle in tan?!

I know it's probably just personal preference, but was curious to hear responses. To match or not to match?!

Thanks all,

On a recent trip I carried the zippered tote in otter green and the updated medium duffle in navy as carry-on and think they went perfectly together ... functionally and aesthetically. To me, all the same color seems a bit too much. I found this combination to work perfectly on a 7 day trip by plane, train, bus and tram. 1-2 nights you should have some room to spare. The capacity on the new medium duffle really surprised me as to how much it could take in. I think it could work for 2-weeks no checked luggage if I packed smartly.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve.
Interestingly enough, I've been thinking a bit lately about the "to match or not to match" issue. My usual short business trip bag is the Meridian Duffle - which has the lighter weight tin cloth (compared to the 22 oz heavy twill you find on the medium duffle, original briefcase, etc.).

I also just recently switched from a navy 24 hour bag as my every day briefcase to a tan 24 hour bag (due to a ripped zipper where the Detroit store gave me a brand new one right off the shelf!).

My issue is that I now feel TOO matched. The tan 24 hour bag plus the tan meridian bag makes me feel a bit like I TRIED to match - when in reality it was not really my intention.

That said, I really love both bags so I'll probably keep them - but if any of you see a guy walking through the airport with two tan Filsons, it might be me! (headed to Edinburgh, UK via Atlanta this weekend).

So, to answer your question - I usually choose to NOT match, but I now have a matching set of Filson bags so that went out the window.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think navy wouldn't go well with otter green, but aside from that I think not matching is better.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the inherently casual nature of Filson luggage speaks against a need for matching pieces.

I have bought rather randomly on color based moreover on availability. But the pieces that are most often checked or thrown in with other luggage have been green, by chance. And the color has hidden dirt, stains and scuffing very well. Especially the darker moss green of the limited heavy tin luggage.

milw50717

Reaction score

I think the inherently casual nature of Filson luggage speaks against a need for matching pieces.

I have bought rather randomly on color based moreover on availability. But the pieces that are most often checked or thrown in with other luggage have been green, by chance. And the color has hidden dirt, stains and scuffing very well. Especially the darker moss green of the limited heavy tin luggage.

I never really try to colour coordinate or accessorise, per se, so mismatched bags would not worry me at all. Like everything in personal fashion the answer will come down to what you think looks right. Some people may prefer the standardised look of one colour and some, as you and I appear to be, appreciate the variety of the colours. Either way Filson luggage does look better with wear and I'm with Soletrane on the practical aspects of the darker colours. All bar one of my bags that get a lot of use are OG. The one bag that I have in Tan - the workhorse 258 - that has seen a lot of airport floors and has a fair few stains (AKA wabi-sabi). The OG is just far better at looking business respectable despite having gone through the daily circus that we call life.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with those who have a preference NOT to match. All the colors coordinate, and the common leather and styling brings things together. I like all the colors, but have my own preferences as to what works best with different bag designs. I choose more based on that vs. with which other bags I'm likely to pair.

Also, as has come up a bunch in the thread, navy is flimsier than tan/otter/brown. Love the look of navy but tend to avoid it as I prefer the stiffness of the other colors.

For a larger bag that's going to really get beat on but still needs to look presentable, brown and otter will hide stains the best. If you're willing to embrace the patina, tan looks great after years of hard use.

Brown seems to rarely be brought up, but I really like the color. Very little contrast with the straps when new, but as with the other options, it does lighten over time.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using my medium (old larger version) green duffle right now on a road trip. Usually try to get away with a smaller bag for a trip of only 4 days but this one involves social events so have to pack a couple of pairs of shoes - which are usually the deal breaker for using a smaller bag.

A full medium duffle is not a bag I would want to haul around an airport terminal on a 6 hour layover but it is great for this type of trip. Load it up, easy to pack in car, easy to maneuver in small or crowded hotel elevators or up a flight of stairs, completely unpack, throw the deflated duffle in a small corner of a closet or under the bed.

gtrplyr8

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the zippers on my new Filson Original Briefcase - one zipper is smooth while the other is rough and loud. Are there any tips to make the one zipper smoother?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads