• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

milw50717

Reaction score

I have the same issue with the zippers on my new Filson Original Briefcase - one zipper is smooth while the other is rough and loud.  Are there any tips to make the one zipper smoother?

Use a hard wax to lubricate

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
graphite dust, ie rub a lead pencil along the teeth and that should smoothen out the action

Kailo

Reaction score
Hello there,

recently I've become a happy owner of Filson 256 (navy). My desire for this was bag long, but since I live in EU the price was always the problem - almost double to normal price in Filson store.

Anyway, I'm new here, but I've been lurking this forum for sometime. And there are really mixed opinions about how to take care of your bag. My OCD won't let me put my lovely bag on ugly floor, I'm periodicly checking if the rain is coming, etc.
To complete my addiciton I would love to know if it's alright to spray the canvas with some impregnation/water resistant spray for example with this https://www.collonil.com.au/dress-impragnierer-534.html or should I go for something different?

Also, would be ok to use this oil for occasional treatment of leather - I've read that that its ok (I know that mink oil will darknen the leather, but that's not a problem to me). https://www.saphirmedailledorshop.co.uk/lotion-125ml.html

And one last thing. After like 2 months of using it, I've noticed weird white/faded strain (I don't exactly know how to call it) behind the hand straps. I'm including picture and I hope it will speak for itself. Note that second photo is with flash on

I'm sorry for any typo you will find.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello there, recently I've become a happy owner of Filson 256 (navy). My desire for this was bag long, but since I live in EU the price was always the problem - almost double to normal price in Filson store. Anyway, I'm new here, but I've been lurking this forum for sometime. And there are really mixed opinions about how to take care of your bag. My OCD won't let me put my lovely bag on ugly floor, I'm periodicly checking if the rain is coming, etc. To complete my addiciton I would love to know if it's alright to spray the canvas with some impregnation/water resistant spray for example with this https://www.collonil.com.au/dress-impragnierer-534.html or should I go for something different? Also, would be ok to use this oil for occasional treatment of leather - I've read that that its ok (I know that mink oil will darknen the leather, but that's not a problem to me). https://www.saphirmedailledorshop.co.uk/lotion-125ml.html And one last thing. After like 2 months of using it, I've noticed weird white/faded strain (I don't exactly know how to call it) behind the hand straps. I'm including picture and I hope it will speak for itself. Note that second photo is with flash on I'm sorry for any typo you will find.
The fading looks normal and has happened on my olive 256 also. I use Obenauf's HDLP on the leather of my Filson bags.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kailo......

That's totally normal and what you're doing there is building up the "patina" which makes the Filson bags so awesome.

My recommendation: Drop it in some dirt, bang it around a bit, slam it in the car door, let the dog chew it, and let the rain come down on it...

That's what the Filson bags are made for, in my humble opinion!

gambit402

Reaction score
Almost pulled the trigger on a 24 hour briefcase until I pulled out my 70257. I think the rugged twill ones still look better. The 2 pockets popping out on the twill just doesn't appeal to me aesthetically, but I do like the practicality of it. Still considering the 48 hour duffle, even tho I have the small duffle right now. Still don't like the pocket look, but all the compartments make it appealing when I use it to pack my kids' stuff.

Kailo

Reaction score
Yeaah, you are right. I'm overreacting it. And it's true that whenever I saw older Filson they looked more awesome, than the new one.

Thanks, Churchill W for recommendation

mgrennier and cbfn thanks for such a great statement. It raised my smile.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I think the small duffle and the rucksack are a perfect pairing for a long weekend getaway.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
New Filsons are the ugliest Filsons.

Amen to that.... here's my 256 which is a few years old. Goes pretty much everywhere with me, from construction sites to the office and some travel even.
Great bag and getting better every year.

Come to think of it these pics don't do it justice, it's even more stained than it looks like below. Stupid lighting in my apartment washed it out.
Oh well.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Looks a bit like my green 257, but I've made it waterproof with Fjällräven's Greenland Wax which made it look even more stained and patinaed. I love it.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gambit - I agree with you on the choice of the heavier twill.

I have the 24 hour briefcase and I love it. The extra pockets on the front (compared to the Original briefcase, for example) just make it too damn convenient. I am always sliding in a water bottle, or my sunglass case in the slots behind the pocket and keep a small camera and other random stuff in the pockets.

BUT - the moment they come out with a similar bag with the heavier 22 oz twill, I'll probably buy it the day it comes out.

The lighter-weight cloth on the 24 hour bag is awesome, but just not quite as awesome as the 22 oz twill.

gambit402

Reaction score
gambit - I agree with you on the choice of the heavier twill.

I have the 24 hour briefcase and I love it. The extra pockets on the front (compared to the Original briefcase, for example) just make it too damn convenient. I am always sliding in a water bottle, or my sunglass case in the slots behind the pocket and keep a small camera and other random stuff in the pockets.

BUT - the moment they come out with a similar bag with the heavier 22 oz twill, I'll probably buy it the day it comes out.

The lighter-weight cloth on the 24 hour bag is awesome, but just not quite as awesome as the 22 oz twill.
I really like the functionality of the 24 hour bag. If they came out with one in 22 oz twill AND made the the front pockets like an accordion style where the pockets are flat when empty and only extend out when thing are put in there (not sure what it's called), then I'd jump on that. I just don't want the pockets sticking out for no reason.

I have the lighter tin cloth on the Meridian duffle and love it. Not sure why Filson discontinued that model, but it's worked great for me.

rickyslam

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have just received my Filson 257 Briefcase today and could not wait to fill it up. I have a 15" MacBook Pro, an iPad Air with keyboard, a planner, and a tape measure. I think most of the weight is from the MacBook Pro. One concern I have is that I can't keep my chargers and wires organized in it. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advance and I love everyone's helpfulness and hospitality on this forum.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk