• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score

No longer have a small duffle. (...)

Thanks for the input, very interesting. I'd still love to see a load-out of the medium duffel, but I'm starting to think that I'll get a suitcase after all. As much as I like the look of traveling with a duffel bag, I fear I simply pack to much to enjoy the trip...

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input, very interesting. I'd still love to see a load-out of the medium duffel, but I'm starting to think that I'll get a suitcase after all. As much as I like the look of traveling with a duffel bag, I fear I simply pack to much to enjoy the trip...

It isn't about the capacity of the medium duffel - it can hold a lot more than most suitcases. And if not, there is a large duffel for not much more money.

It is more about how and where you plan to travel and how much you need to walk with a duffel vs roll a suitcase. A 40lb duffel plus a 15lb carry-on is a heavy AND bulky load for most people to carry beyond short distances.

Here is a medium (heavy tin moss) duffel. Not stuffed either. I just threw random stuff in there - sweaters, 4-5 pants, 10 tops, a full suit in its bag, gym clothes for multiple days, shorts, belts etc. Literally stacks of clothes. It felt almost bottomless compared to a Sportsman.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Letsi,
That is the discontinued compartment case. It comes in large and medium. I think Nevadabob posted a pic of a tan one a few pages back. I was trying to figure out a need for one (that isn't being met by my dozen other bags) so I could justify buying it! But no luck yet. I think it was intended to haul ammo for hunting.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could get by with two internal pockets on my small duffle. And the overall size was bang on for a gym bag. But with my normal gym load of a track pants, tee shirts, shoes, socks, jump rope etc., the bag looked very deflated and flat. On a whim, I threw the same load in the Filson tote and I haven't looked back.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd recommend a saved search on Ebay.  I actually own four 266s (I use 3 of them for work and one as actual luggage), and I've gotten them at reasonable prices each time.

Yup, I saw 3 listings for the old 266 on ebay just earlier, all of them TAN color iirc.

Thanks guys. I won a tan one Sunday and it'll be here tomorrow.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to throw this out to the folks on this thread first. I'm selling a rustic, vintage tan medium duffle. It's in great shape structurally, of course (duh, it's a Filson) but it's rather "aged". Has a really rustic feel to it - would be very cool to carry to camping trips, hiking, etc. It's just a bit too rustic and aged for me to use for business travel.

Let me know if any of you have an interest and I will take some pictures of it. It's a great bag - i've conditioned the leather straps so they're in great shape...

letsi

Reaction score

Hi folks,

Here's identify another interesting filson bag.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252040584858?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anyone knows what bag is this? It's like a hybrid of the 266 Sportsman and the 246 medium travel bag.
Letsi,
That is the discontinued compartment case. It comes in large and medium. I think Nevadabob posted a pic of a tan one a few pages back. I was trying to figure out a need for one (that isn't being met by my dozen other bags) so I could justify buying it! But no luck yet. I think it was intended to haul ammo for hunting.

Soletrane,

Knew I could count on you to advise the correct model :) Will be interesting to see how much people are willing to pay for this. Thanks again :D

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That moss 256 is the heavy tin version

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That moss 256 is the heavy tin version

I have the tote and the medium duffle in moss heavy tin. It is difficult to overstate how much more rigid and tough it is than the regular twill. The wax is also much more evident. I love it in the tote as it gives the tote structural integrity (no floppiness) and in the duffle as the dark heavy waxed surface shows no perceptible stains or wear from being used as a checked bag. But this comes at a cost of looking (much) more rustic than the regular twill luggage. Despite liking the heavy tin briefcase - not sure how that material translates into a briefcase which for most people (unless you are a surveyor or a geologist) means use in an office environment.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had the opportunity to peruse the new Filson dealer catalog (from a local shop owner). Most of the products were going be released in early spring 2016. Quite a cool crop of products coming out. Some of the things I saw:
- 48 hour bag. Looked very similar to the 72 hour tin cloth bag except it has a bigger main compartment for clothes, etc.
- new travel bag- looked like Filson is looking to lighter-weight materials to make the bags easier to carry.
- "Meridian" bag - (I think that's the name). This looked like the long awaited "in-between" duffle bag that is bigger than the small duffle but not as huge as the Medium duffle.

There were a few others that I saw in my quick glance through the catalog. Some of their new products had release dates of this fall, but I also saw some with a March 2016 release date.

Will be fun to watch.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, I saw pics of the 48 hour and the Meridian duffles on Hank's Clothing website. The "48 hour" name confused me as it looks bigger than the "72 hour" briefcase until I saw that the 48 is a duffle. It seems to be made of lighter weight material (tin cloth?) than the Meridian which looks to be the regular twill with more leather detailing. In both cases, it seems they are steering towards very much a "weekender" or "carry-on" look and a step away from the more outdoorsman styling of the medium travel or regular duffles. Both look pretty nice and are priced at (or just above) about what I see for the better made, US sourced & manufactured waxed canvas "carryall".

However, my thinking is that at nearly 400 and 500 respectively for these two bags, personally I would be much more inclined to just get a medium duffle on an online sale or a power eBay seller for around half that price. Maybe get it in navy if I wanted a more urbane look. But yeah, if someone has the cash, I could see how these bags might scratch an itch not quite scratched by the current lineup.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads