• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Interested to see what other bags are in the collection.
This story has a good info with a picture (below) showing other items. I must be a bit of a plonker because I do not see how that large travel bag opens the bottom section with the leather straps wrapping around like that. Perhaps it simply extends the height somewhat... 🤔

Chris-Stapleton-x-Filson-a-billboard-1240.jpg

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Could someone post pics (not stock photos) of either a tote or a duffel bag?
Just a regular Zippered / Non-Zippered Tote and one of the Duffel sizes? There are a mcmillion images online already; is there a specific view or context of use you need to see? I don't own either, but it'd be easier for folks here to help if you give more information.

WJR

Reaction score
This story has a good info with a picture (below) showing other items. I must be a bit of a plonker because I do not see how that large travel bag opens the bottom section with the leather straps wrapping around like that. Perhaps it simply extends the height somewhat... 🤔

Thank you for sharing that info and the article link.

originalhype

Reaction score
Time to change backpack and now using my filson rucksack in otther green. I only use this in spring and summer and sometimes fall. Not a good idea using this when you have big jackets as it SAGS.
WOW, this has the 22 oz twill and I can feel the difference! Not as stiff as it was new but you can feel the weight.
Too bad filson do not use the 22oz anymore.
f1.jpg

Fade and seeing the real otter green color under the strap.
f2.jpg

Finally found an organizer for the rucksack! From tom Bihn. New Item and ironically, also made in seattle! Freudian slip in synapse 19.
f3.jpg
f5.jpg

originalhype

Reaction score

I want the garment bag in the back.

The large bag is the filson outfitter bag. You can see a lot of pictures and sizes on this bag. Great for road trips.

originalhype

Reaction score
New bags at filson website. Their tin cloth will now be their lower price materials as they are moving the rugged twill as their higher price fabric. I will not say the tin cloth is cheaper price as it is still expensive and it not made in USA. They made tin clothes before in classic briefcase, duffles, and tote bags. This time they are going full force as they finally have a reason to go all out on tin cloth.
See it this way
1. Tin cloth made will be lower price
2. rugged twill is higher price.

1694108311335.png

Stratkat

Reaction score

there are snaps on the keepers. unsnap them and the handles fall away, you are free to access the bottom compartment.

rezzor

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new Filson bag in a really, really long time. I have an otter 257 and 242 as well as a tan 262 but I've always missed the tan 261 I sold about 15 years ago. I just ordered one from Sam's club of all places which is a bit weird but we'll see what it looks like when it arrives. There aren't any around me so I don't have a membership which adds a bit to the price but it was still pretty cheap. They have number of bags. https://www.samsclub.com/p/filson-twill-tote-bag-zipper/PL980436229?xid=plp_product_5

TheRolls321

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new Filson bag in a really, really long time. I have an otter 257 and 242 as well as a tan 262 but I've always missed the tan 261 I sold about 15 years ago. I just ordered one from Sam's club of all places which is a bit weird but we'll see what it looks like when it arrives. There aren't any around me so I don't have a membership which adds a bit to the price but it was still pretty cheap. They have number of bags. https://www.samsclub.com/p/filson-twill-tote-bag-zipper/PL980436229?xid=plp_product_5
Ditto to Sam's Club Filson products. I ordered the large rucksack as its essentially half off msrp right now. 1st quality and don't regret it one bit. Tags still attached and everything's in order. Now part of my daily carry

vulford

Reaction score
What is the verdict between the Made in USA tin cloth pieces versus the Made in Vietnam ones? I have a 24 hour Dark Tan Briefcase that I bought in 2019 and got the email about their new tin cloth duffles, and I have been looking to add one to my collection, maybe even finding a new old stock 48 tin cloth hour duffle (the grail!).

I have heard that it's just the same from Filson directly- which I don't know if I believe given outsourcing is bound to change something. I have also heard that the leather handles are no longer from Wickett & Craig (for the 48 hour duffle) and that the tin cloth is different (no longer from the British Millerain mill) and not as heavy duty.

Again, not sure how accurate these are but it's not outside the realm of possibility that Filson would cut corners even more. I did meet someone fairly recently with an otter green 24 hour twill briefcase that he had bought new and been using for 3-4 months and the green twill was of a much lighter shade and he was lamenting the removal of the interior pockets (and I forgot to ask about the key leash but feel like that's gone as well).

TheRolls321

Reaction score
Always a Filson fan but haven't started collecting their luggage until recently spurred by the Sam's Club Large Rucksack offerings. A few years back I lived near the Seattle Outlet store and bought the best deals I could find, from $10 hoodies and sweaters that are MiUSA (down from msrp of $160-$200), tin cloth trucker jackets for $20, to a Chelan Chair for $40 which I had shipped for free to my place down here in SoCal.

Wanted to share my latest pickup of a NOS Filson 242 Large Carry-on Bag in Tan. Some sun wear, most likely a store display, but the leather is still supple. Full set of tags and shoulder strap to boot. Date code puts a build date of December 2007. Kicker is I paid $150.

Comparing the "nos" Rugged Twill of 2007 to today's new Rugged Twill I find no noticeable difference. Both thick and sturdy...ready to be broken in

This addiction is dangerous. Now I'm eyeing an XL Outfitter...but that Chris Stapleton edition Outfitter is hard to ignore

IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

rezzor

Reaction score
Ditto to Sam's Club Filson products. I ordered the large rucksack as its essentially half off msrp right now. 1st quality and don't regret it one bit. Tags still attached and everything's in order. Now part of my daily carry
It arrived and the only odd thing is that it doesn't have the key lanyard which I seem to remember the other bag having. Also seems to be old stock with a $275 price tag. The key holder is handy, wonder if they stopped adding it to some versions or if it's just missing.

Pic of the other bags after unpacking
eaIy0i3l.jpg

Last edited:

TheRolls321

Reaction score
It arrived and the only odd thing is that it doesn't have the key lanyard which I seem to remember the other bag having. Also seems to be old stock with a $275 price tag. The key holder is handy, wonder if they stopped adding it to some versions or if it's just missing.
EDIT: Did not fully understand that what you ordered from Sam's Club was a 261 and not a Large Rucksack. Disregard below

Hold on, sounds like you received an old stock regular sized rucksack? To my (limited) knowledge and referencing the Filson website, the large rucksack doesn't come with a key lanyard. I'd like one on mine ha!

Does the size measurements you received match up to the Filson website for the large rucksack?

I'll post my tag when I get home. Genuinely puzzled

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads