• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

builder

Reaction score

Otter Green 256 (original briefcase) 3 years in, office, site, bus commute, etc

I had a local shop put on the snap handle enclosure to make it easier to grab the bag & go quickly.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me this is proof that they absolutely could go ahead and make a 24 hour or 48 hour rugged twill briefcase which would be a much better product!

I don't recall any of us clamoring for a Rugged Twill Cruiser, but at least they are thinking outside the box again, who knows, maybe a Rugged Twill 24/48 is in the books. I'd even take a partial version like the Journeyman, which is tastefully done and tough as nails (first/second generation).

Thanks OMG. I have only had mine for 6 years. Bought with 245K and now have almost 295K.

That's great! Is that done on the same engine or a rebuild? Any chance we could see a picture...I'm wondering if it looks any different then the one I have in my mind already ;)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Filson thinking outside the box. Did anyone see the new Special Edition Rugged Twill Collection

Filson Out of the Box Thinking.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Otter Green 256 (original briefcase) 3 years in, office, site, bus commute, etc

I had a local shop put on the snap handle enclosure to make it easier to grab the bag & go quickly.

Welcome aboard. Nice No.256 mod! I recall a time when Filson offered this modification at the time of purchase for a small fee. The strap keeper on my well over 20 year old Talon 257 is buttery soft. There is more then one advantage of the snapped keeper aside from user comfort; you can roll up a light jacket or sweater and place it between the straps, for those days the weather won't seem to make up its mind.

IMG_4621.JPG

Last edited:

Treble

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Nice No.256 mod! I recall a time when Filson offered this modification at the time of purchase for a small fee. The strap keeper on my well over 20 year old Talon 257 is buttery soft. There is more then one advantage of the snapped keeper aside from user comfort; you can roll up a light jacket or sweater and place it between the straps, for those days the weather won't seem to make up its mind.

View attachment 1989539

Will Filson sell these? The Europe customer service / website / physical retail presence is awful but I could get one shipped from the US domestically to a relative.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will Filson sell these? The Europe customer service / website / physical retail presence is awful but I could get one shipped from the US domestically to a relative.

It’s certainly worth calling them up and inquiring. I was able to score thread, buttons, snaps when I had a snap fall apart on my Navy Mackinaw Single Mack. Obviously I just needed the snaps, but that didn’t stop them from getting it wrong and sending me thread and buttons, all free of charge. I’m not saying they will send you a free bridle leather keeper, or that they would even sell you one, but it’s worth asking. You never know with this modern day Filson.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a new one for me. Apparently this eBay seller has listed what appears to be a Filson advertisement that was cut out of a catalog or magazine subscription. Coincidentally it's the very same advertisement that was the catalyst for my Filson affair. Does 10 years qualify you to use the abbreviation for the word "vintage" :lurk:

Filson huh.PNG

tad9403

Reaction score
Jumping on this thread after recently coming across some Filson bags secondhand! After diving deep into some older posts on this thread, it seems like these may be some “Early YKK” models?

#220 - 0604
#258 - 0706
#290 - 0604
#218 - 0607

Would like to try and find a medium duffle from around the same timeframe. Also interested in finding (possibly selling/trading) to get some Green bags.

IMG_1926.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

“The complaint claims that Lucasfilm and Filson are “two corporate juggernauts” that are “exploiting the hard work and intellectual property of Frost River, a small American company.” Devin McRae, a lawyer for Frost River, also wrote”

It’s strange hearing the word “Juggernaut” and Filson in the same sentence. Also I would like to think a major film franchise such as Indiana Jones, using a small company like Frost River with its antiquated advertising, would be very lucrative and something to be proud of. It’s like NASA using Omega without there say-so for such an important mission in 1962. Why would you fight against that, when it could take your company to the next level. I say embrace it! I don’t understand this, except for the concept of “Dial of Destiny” bombing at the box office maybe and having your brand image associated with such an atrocity (by comparison sake).

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping on this thread after recently coming across some Filson bags secondhand! After diving deep into some older posts on this thread, it seems like these may be some “Early YKK” models?

#220 - 0604
#258 - 0706
#290 - 0604
#218 - 0607

Would like to try and find a medium duffle from around the same timeframe. Also interested in finding (possibly selling/trading) to get some Green bags.

View attachment 1995897

Impressive diverse haul! Which secondhand market did you source these?

I concur, everyone needs a little Otter Green in their life. Go for the chestnut leather if you have the chance. My first edition YKK 258 (0802)

587466C1-4BDB-4F00-8ED7-824FD27D7904.jpeg

WJR

Reaction score
That's great! Is that done on the same engine or a rebuild? Any chance we could see a picture...I'm wondering if it looks any different then the one I have in my mind already ;)
Same engine. I have had to replace/repair other mechanical parts though. The engine is still going strong.

Here is a picture from the other day. Dirty and needs some exterior and interior work.

tad9403

Reaction score
Impressive diverse haul! Which secondhand market did you source these?

I concur, everyone needs a little Otter Green in their life. Go for the chestnut leather if you have the chance. My first edition YKK 258 (0802)

View attachment 1996455

Thanks! I actually was lucky enough to find these locally on FB marketplace.

That bag looks great!

From what I’ve seen and read across the internet, Filson quality material usage seems to be going down while the price tag is only going up. Is that the case? And if so, would it be recommended or suggested to steer clear of anything produced after a certain year?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same engine. I have had to replace/repair other mechanical parts though. The engine is still going strong.

Here is a picture from the other day. Dirty and needs some exterior and interior work.

Damn that looks good! Love the front bumper...back when bumpers actually could do what they were made to do...BUMP :fonz:

Just what am I looking at here...anyone anyone? Patina would lead me to believe it's original, when compared to the rest of this First Edition Duffel. Over the past 7 years I've observed well over 100K Filson eBay listings, and I don't reckon I've ever seen one like this before. Could be one of a kind, or a handful, either way it's rare.

Filson Duffel 1.PNG

The seller does not appear to be the original owner, so we might be left to our own devices here. But it's a Talon Era...of sorts...

Filson Duffel 2.PNG

My only theory is that whichever craftsman handmade this, prior to 1995; they must've confused zipper pulls, since this style is what Filson used for some of their garment items, namely their pants

Filson Duffel 3.PNG

Case cracked? This skinnier version was taken from a pair of Mackinaw Pants with a 1999 Build Date. I wonder if there is a pair of pants floating around out there with a zipper pull meant for this 1st Edition Flapless Duffel?

Filson Duffel 4.PNG

Last edited:

WJR

Reaction score
This thread first introduced me to the concept of packing cubes. I bought several sets of Eagle Creek packing cubes and have been using them in duffles and travel bags since.

I now also have a 70081 Large Carry-On and I wanted to get some opinions on using the packing cubes when you have straps. How has that worked for others? Anybody using packing cubes with their 70081 or Pullmans? Or when you have straps do you skip the packing cubes?

Thank you,

WJR

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members