• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excuses to wear a suit

Redbird13

Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question. For those of you who don't have to wear suits to work, where exactly DO you where them? I recently purchased my first suit, and I can't really find any excuse to wear it even though I'm itching to. I don't have any social events coming up, and the wedding I'm about to go to is strictly casual (the best man was instructed to wear khakis...)

Does anyone know of any creative solutions? I'm stumped. I suppose I could get symphony tickets?

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Good question.

First, even if you dont "need" a suit to to work, doesnt mean you cant wear one. I own my own business, so I can wear whatever I want. Im in a suit 4 of 5 days.

Outside of that, church/temple is a good venue to wear one. Anytime you go out at night on the weekend. Dinner. Drinks. I used to only wear the standard jeans and untucked collared shirt to clubs/bars in NY. Just recently, I asked myself - why not wear a suit? God knows I have enough of them. Well, since I have been, the response has been very favorable.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Become more popular and get invited to more weddings.

Become better connected and get invited to more boards, charitable functions, industry associations, etc.

Become the boss at your current firm, or join one where the dress code is more formal, or start you own.

Host cocktail parties and provide a dress code.

Or just take the path of least resistance and be "suit guy" at the office. Know that this choice comes at a moderate to significant social price. Be prepared to be incredibly interesting, good looking, brilliant, etc., in order to twist the dial from "weirdo" to "eccentric genius." (If need be, invent an interesting and sympathetic backstory, i.e., that you were homeless as a child and clawed your way up the ladder, pledging that you'd present yourself to the world as you'd like to become known.)

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Become better connected and get invited to more boards, charitable functions, industry associations, etc.
Become the boss at your current firm, or join one where the dress code is more formal, or start you own.
Or just take the path of least resistance and be "suit guy" at the office. Know that this choice comes at a moderate to significant social price. Be prepared to be incredibly interesting, good looking, brilliant, etc., in order to twist the dial from "weirdo" to "eccentric genius." (If need be, invent an interesting and sympathetic backstory, i.e., that you were homeless as a child and clawed your way up the ladder, pledging that you'd present yourself to the world as you'd like to become known.)

Haha I like the last one :slayer:

Tweedy

Reaction score

I agree, sound advice :)

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suit with more casual shirt and shoes, top two buttons of shirt left open.

Wear to any club or to work.

Problem solved.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I really don't see a problem with wearing a suit just when going out to dinner or for drinks.
Heck, I've even worn a suit when just going out for a coffee or something. Nobody will know you are not on your way to/coming from somewhere more important :happy:

erpet

Reaction score
I invented "Formal Friday" at work - allegedly as a joke, but the real reason was that I never got use of my ties. Now everyone has gotten used to it and does not react when I show up dressed like an adult.

It has lead to a state that allows me to wear suits in informal cloths (cotton, flannel, etc.) without a tie whenever I feel like it and even with a tie on Fridays.

I agree it is sad that I feel "not allowed" to wear suits to work, but one has to change in small steps for the crowd to maintain the feeling you are a part of the team.

Good luck!

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you look weird if you wear a suit?
If not, just do it. I don't have to wear a suit to work but many people around here are in suits, so I don't feel out of place...

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
Being a Mod I where suits everywhere except work. Most of them are made to measure or full on tailored suits, about 10 in all.

OlSarge

Reaction score
Develop a taste for classical music and wear it to concerts in the evening. Sport a good homburg and walking stick, if you feel like it, and attract the more stylish sort of lady friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads