• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather - English Handstitched Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate and Review Thread

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

I'm just about to put a Mailshot out with our Easter weekend discount, wanted to share it with you guys first.

We are offering 15% off all of our Bakers of Colyton belts using the code: BAKERS15

This offer includes our world famous Scott Harness Belt:

As well as the Bakers Oak Brown:

The Bakers Russet:

And the Bakers London Tan:

It's available now and will end the morning of Tuesday April 7th (which is incidentally my birthday!)

Dawn x

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Good morning everyone!

I'm just about to put a Mailshot out with our Easter weekend discount, wanted to share it with you guys first.

We are offering 15% off all of our Bakers of Colyton belts using the code: BAKERS15

This offer includes our world famous Scott Harness Belt:

As well as the Bakers Oak Brown:

The Bakers Russet:

And the Bakers London Tan:

It's available now and will end the morning of Tuesday April 7th (which is incidentally my birthday!)

Dawn x

For anyone not familiar with Bakers, they are the last Oak Bark tanners in the UK, and one of the best tanners in the world. They are particularly famous for their sole and insole leather and many of the best shoe makers use their leather - you might have some of their leather on your feet right now! That also make lovely leather for leatherwoods that we use. It has huge character and personality, ages and lasts exceptionally well. The colours are rich shades of tan and brown. Lovely stuff!

This is a video with an interview with Andrew Parr (the owner) that has some great stills of the tannery and their processes. As a community we're all very lucky to have access to skills like they have and one of the best aspects of what we do is being able to collaborate with companies like this.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Charlie

iVoRy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm wondering if it'll be possible to use Mayfair or Aspley buckle with Bakers strap?

rachdanon

Reaction score
Hi Charlie I was introduced to your belts from hardwarezone after I posted about looking for a durable dress/formal belt.

I'ved looked through your website and there is no mention of "full grain" at all. To be honest terms such as best or premium leathers are subjective and the lack of clarity is holding me back from buying one. I read about Bridle leather but that seems to have to do with the tanning than the leather itself.

Appreciate your clarification as I'm looking for full grain leather. I have purchased Saddleback products where I can attest to the durability of full grain leather.

Thank you.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hello, I'm wondering if it'll be possible to use Mayfair or Aspley buckle with Bakers strap?

The Aspley is nearly a little light weight for the heavier Bakers leathers, but can certainly work and be done. The Mayfair is absolutely fine - not a problem at all.

Hope that helps!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Charlie I was introduced to your belts from hardwarezone after I posted about looking for a durable dress/formal belt.

I'ved looked through your website and there is no mention of "full grain" at all. To be honest terms such as best or premium leathers are subjective and the lack of clarity is holding me back from buying one. I read about Bridle leather but that seems to have to do with the tanning than the leather itself.

Appreciate your clarification as I'm looking for full grain leather. I have purchased Saddleback products where I can attest to the durability of full grain leather.

Thank you.

Hi RD

They are all full grain. Non full grain leather are generally many many rungs down the leather social hierarchy :) We don't mention the term because its implicit really in our choice of tanneries - they are the best in the world and the leathers are designed to age and last well. The leather they produce costs probably 10x what an Mexican tannery would sell unfinished veg tan for for eg. (which would also be full grain) Take a look at the video of the Bakers tannery a few posts up, its really interesting and gives a good insight into the process. Our bridle leather tanneries are

http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk
http://www.je-sedgwick.co.uk

One thing I would say is look beyond the terms companies use as advertising. There are many aspects to quality of leather and using a term like full grain as a primary filter will only take out the very worst imported from third world for department store stuff. Its really easy and quite cheap to buy poor quality full grain leather. It'll last a while if you like the rustic look because the nature of full grain is its reasonably strong, and it'll last better than plastic clad rubbish, that doesnt make it good though. Its only the most marginal base that picking good skins, the whole tanning and finishing process and then being made into the finished item builds upon. There are some really good threads around here with a lot of information as to the qualities of various leathers etc etc.

I hope thats some help. Remember we have a sample service - you can see the leathers first hand.

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi RD

They are all full grain. Non full grain leather are generally many many rungs down the leather social hierarchy :) We don't mention the term because its implicit really in our choice of tanneries - they are the best in the world and the leathers are designed to age and last well. The leather they produce costs probably 10x what an Mexican tannery would sell unfinished veg tan for for eg. (which would also be full grain) Take a look at the video of the Bakers tannery a few posts up, its really interesting and gives a good insight into the process. Our bridle leather tanneries are

http://www.jfjbaker.co.uk
http://www.je-sedgwick.co.uk

One thing I would say is look beyond the terms companies use as advertising. There are many aspects to quality of leather and using a term like full grain as a primary filter will only take out the very worst imported from third world for department store stuff. Its really easy and quite cheap to buy poor quality full grain leather. It'll last a while if you like the rustic look because the nature of full grain is its reasonably strong, and it'll last better than plastic clad rubbish, that doesnt make it good though. Its only the most marginal base that picking good skins, the whole tanning and finishing process and then being made into the finished item builds upon. There are some really good threads around here with a lot of information as to the qualities of various leathers etc etc.

I hope thats some help. Remember we have a sample service - you can see the leathers first hand.

Charlie

Little photo to illustrate, picture worth a thousand words etc! This is Bakers Oak Brown - lovely stuff. Scar featuring in one of the photo just to prove its as it came from the cow! We'd cut around a mark like that, generally speaking we embrace the natural markings the hides have though.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just throw my personal experience in here.

My harness leather belts have taken more of a beating than any belts I have ever owned and show no sign of any kind of damage. In fact the colorations they have developed look great.

The bridle belts are a single piece, and while not suffering from the same constant abuse as my Scott, they look as good as when I started wearing them other than the natural curve them get from conforming to my body,

iVoRy

Reaction score

The Aspley is nearly a little light weight for the heavier Bakers leathers, but can certainly work and be done. The Mayfair is absolutely fine - not a problem at all.

Hope that helps!

Charlie

Thanks for your answer Charlie.
My last question would be How do I place order since there's no option for these buckle in bakers belt menu?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

^ thank you Charlie for that answer!

Glad to help! More photos below..

I'll just throw my personal experience in here.

My harness leather belts have taken more of a beating than any belts I have ever owned and show no sign of any kind of damage. In fact the colorations they have developed look great.

The bridle belts are a single piece, and while not suffering from the same constant abuse as my Scott, they look as good as when I started wearing them other than the natural curve them get from conforming to my body,

Thanks M - always helpful!

This is my own Scott, one of the first ever made so probably 4 years old. I wear it everyday in the workshop as well as on the hill in Scotland etc. It has been chewed by my (then) puppy, not cared for at all etc. Its my work belt, my companion in a number of adventures and goes everywhere I do unless Im wearing pinstripes, exactly the use I designed the Scott for. Photos where taken the day before yesterday for a little photoshoot.

http://www.equusleather.co.uk/belts...her-belts/the-scott-harness-leather-belt.html

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for your answer Charlie.
My last question would be How do I place order since there's no option for these buckle in bakers belt menu?

My pleasure! I think probably the easiest thing is to drop me a PM with the spec of the belt you want and we'll add your order manually and send over a invoice via PayPal?

Charlie

Skell6009

Reaction score
Hey Charlie,

I am looking to pick up a black dress belt. The Mornington Bridle belt looks like it would be perfect. Are there any other models I should be looking at?

What's the typical amount of time between placing the order to delivery in the USA (New York to be precise)?

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey Charlie,

I am looking to pick up a black dress belt. The Mornington Bridle belt looks like it would be perfect. Are there any other models I should be looking at?

What's the typical amount of time between placing the order to delivery in the USA (New York to be precise)?

Hi Skell

If you like the Mornington Id say the others on to look at is the Aspley, its single sided cousin, The Stratfield, its toungless cousin and also the Mayfair, a smart rectangular buckle.

Delivery to the US is typically 4-5 weeks for all of our bespoke stuff baring Lined and Raised and similar, varying a little depending on supplies of buckles and leather and our work load at the time. If you need the belt for a given date if you let us know when you order and we'll do our very best to get it to you in plenty of time or let you know if there are likely to be any isues.

I hope that help!

Charlie

Skell6009

Reaction score
Hi Skell

If you like the Mornington Id say the others on to look at is the Aspley, its single sided cousin, The Stratfield, its toungless cousin and also the Mayfair, a smart rectangular buckle.

Delivery to the US is typically 4-5 weeks for all of our bespoke stuff baring Lined and Raised and similar, varying a little depending on supplies of buckles and leather and our work load at the time. If you need the belt for a given date if you let us know when you order and we'll do our very best to get it to you in plenty of time or let you know if there are likely to be any isues.

I hope that help!

Charlie
I got a wedding to attend towards the end of May so that should be sufficient time. I keep going back and forth between the Aspley and Mornington. I might go with the Aspley instead. Thanks for the help.

edit: Just placed an order for the Aspley. Looking forward to getting it!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads