• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback, as always... it's invaluable to hear your opinions on everything. My apologies again to anyone who was let down by this makeup - it was certainly a surprise to us.

Couple of points from my side:

1) Just to repeat, if you have a deposit on this and you decide that you don't want it, we will refund the deposit. If you can let me know by Friday, that would be appreciated. That way we can put the stock online and have a chance to sell it. Shell boots are often bought as Christmas presents, so this is a crucial time.

2) I'm disappointed that we didn't receive the boot that was spec'd, but I don't personally agree that this is a bad makeup. I think the boot looks really beautiful, actually. And the black sole will make it easier and more versatile to wear, which is important for most guys when you're talking a price level over $700. This is my opinion FWIW:

I'm a fan of light contrast - so we often order antique welts on brown and color #8. But you're talking two colors that are in the same family. Black and medium brown is much more visible. I remembering ordering quite a few makeups like that with Carmina, and none of them were very successful. They looked cool in photographs, but many of our customers disliked the contrast when it was actually on their feet. Or they saw how it might clash with many of their outfits.

If your wardrobe is really casual, then this probably doesn't matter. Many Alden customers come from the Raw Denim / Free & Easy world, and dressing up a shell cordovan boot is not a consideration. But honestly, if you're looking to match these with flannels and tweeds & such, I think that the all-black design with just the eyelet pop is really excellent. It's clean without hooks. We've failed in the past when we've attempted strictly casual Aldens, so if this makeup had been up to me, I actually would have chosen the black sole. I would have ordered it exactly as delivered.

3) I honestly wouldn't recommend getting the edge refinished. Who knows how the work is going to turn out. I'd either take the boot as is or not.

4) It's no secret that the Alden trend is over. In many ways, the Americana trend is over - which has some really sad implications. As much as people liked to beat up on things like the Pop Up Flea or #menswear stuff that bordered on self-parody, the passion for American-made goods supported a lot of jobs and ambitions that I've personally seen. If we didn't have the ability to start our collection in the United States, I wouldn't have a business now. Things are not easy for any of my factories in the USA, and who knows if they'll still be here in 5 years. It's clear that many things have to change.

Alden is the best shoemaker in the United States. Admittedly, the competition isn't too rough. And I'd agree... with the current exchange rates, you can absolutely source a better-made product for the same money from Europe. Having visited both Alden and Vass, I will confirm that Vass products are made with an entirely different level of skill. But it's obviously much more expensive to employ people in Massachusetts than it is in the outskirts of Budapest.

That said... we're talking fashion here, so cold & logical comparisons are not really valid. Vass is cheaper than Edward Green by a huge margin, and I don't think that Edward Green is better. I don't think that Saint Crispins is better. But people buy what they like due to style, fit, and branding.

The Aldens that we carry have a distinctive look, fit, and shape that no one else delivers. Look at the shape of the Ryden. In my mind, it's a perfect chunky s***kicker of a boot. We tried to order things like that from Carmina on the Forest last, and it was never the same. Always a bit too sleek or "wrong" at the toe shape. Trickers makes a chunky boot, but sometimes looks a bit too chunky - and borders on clown shoe. Alden strikes a very unique balance in their design - which is why you can spot a pair of shell Aldens from a mile away. They stand out. And your money is going to an honest company - even if they are kind of lousy with communication. I don't get the impression that Alden's management is rolling in dough. I do get the impression that much of their revenue goes straight to their unionized workforce. I know that many customers choose to buy Alden products because supporting craftsman jobs in the United States is important to them. So that's my very long answer as to why someone might opt for a $775 Alden over a slightly more expensive European product that delivers with more speed and design flexibility.

5) I didn't take this an F.U. from Alden and I don't believe that you guys should either. They are stuck in the past, which is a big part of their appeal for many people. They've never treated me rudely or dismissively... and believe me, those attitudes are totally common in this industry. This is simply how they work and both vendors and customers can take it or leave it. They've certainly got challenges ahead of them - which we all do - so it's an open question as to how sustainable that position is. But it's not coming from malice, and they do take pride in what they make.

All that stuff said...I built out a stock Ryden item. I'll give you guys that same historic price, but they'll be the full $775 for any new dudes stumbling upon it. Here's the link:

RYDEN BOOT OPEN STOCK

And you can use this code to get $40 and make it the group buy price. We've got a 9.5D and an 8.5EEE so far:

Ryden for our friends

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4) It's no secret that the Alden trend is over. In many ways, the Americana trend is over - which has some really sad implications. As much as people liked to beat up on things like the Pop Up Flea or #menswear stuff that bordered on self-parody, the passion for American-made goods supported a lot of jobs and ambitions that I've personally seen. If we didn't have the ability to start our collection in the United States, I wouldn't have a business now. Things are not easy for any of my factories in the USA, and who knows if they'll still be here in 5 years. It's clear that many things have to change.
What we really need is for a certain somebody to send a few tweets out about this and make American shoemaking great again.

Edit: Made this snarky comment without fully reading the post. That genuinely is a shame.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What we really need is for a certain somebody to send a few tweets out about this and make American shoemaking great again.

Edit: Made this snarky comment without fully reading the post. That genuinely is a shame.

if he doesn't own stock in them or the parent company, then I wouldn't hold your breath

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Aldens that we carry have a distinctive look, fit, and shape that no one else delivers. Look at the shape of the Ryden. In my mind, it's a perfect chunky s***kicker of a boot. We tried to order things like that from Carmina on the Forest last, and it was never the same. Always a bit too sleek or "wrong" at the toe shape. Trickers makes a chunky boot, but sometimes looks a bit too chunky - and borders on clown shoe. Alden strikes a very unique balance in their design - which is why you can spot a pair of shell Aldens from a mile away. They stand out. And your money is going to an honest company - even if they are kind of lousy with communication. I don't get the impression that Alden's management is rolling in dough. I do get the impression that much of their revenue goes straight to their unionized workforce. I know that many customers choose to buy Alden products because supporting craftsman jobs in the United States is important to them. So that's my very long answer as to why someone might opt for a $775 Alden over a slightly more expensive European product that delivers with more speed and design flexibility. 

QFT

RuleOfRescue

Reaction score
After much obsessive reading and rereading of this thread over the last 24 hours, I'm keeping this baby. Just paid the remaining balance. I look forward to wearing the hell out of these boots as they deserve.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hertling Donegal vest and Russet Tweed Walts
ec818a54850e25cee9ca528a4848ff7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2013 factory finds rivet. Forgot about these hadn't worn them for a year or so until today.

In n out

Last edited:

zennypoo

Reaction score

Hey guys, 

Thanks for all of the feedback, as always... it's invaluable to hear your opinions on everything. My apologies again to anyone who was let down by this makeup - it was certainly a surprise to us. 

Couple of points from my side: 

1) Just to repeat, if you have a deposit on this and you decide that you don't want it, we will refund the deposit. If you can let me know by Friday, that would be appreciated. That way we can put the stock online and have a chance to sell it. Shell boots are often bought as Christmas presents, so this is a crucial time. 

2) I'm disappointed that we didn't receive the boot that was spec'd, but I don't personally agree that this is a bad makeup. I think the boot looks really beautiful, actually. And the black sole will make it easier and more versatile to wear, which is important for most guys when you're talking a price level over $700. This is my opinion FWIW: 

I'm a fan of light contrast - so we often order antique welts on brown and color #8. But you're talking two colors that are in the same family. Black and medium brown is much more visible. I remembering ordering quite a few makeups like that with Carmina, and none of them were very successful. They looked cool in photographs, but many of our customers disliked the contrast when it was actually on their feet. Or they saw how it might clash with many of their outfits. 

If your wardrobe is really casual, then this probably doesn't matter. Many Alden customers come from the Raw Denim / Free & Easy world, and dressing up a shell cordovan boot is not a consideration. But honestly, if you're looking to match these with flannels and tweeds & such, I think that the all-black design with just the eyelet pop is really excellent. It's clean without hooks. We've failed in the past when we've attempted strictly casual Aldens, so if this makeup had been up to me, I actually would have chosen the black sole. I would have ordered it exactly as delivered. 

3) I honestly wouldn't recommend getting the edge refinished. Who knows how the work is going to turn out. I'd either take the boot as is or not. 

Alden is the best shoemaker in the United States. Admittedly, the competition isn't too rough. And I'd agree... with the current exchange rates, you can absolutely source a better-made product for the same money from Europe. Having visited both Alden and Vass, I will confirm that Vass products are made with an entirely different level of skill. But it's obviously much more expensive to employ people in Massachusetts than it is in the outskirts of Budapest. 

That said... we're talking fashion here, so cold & logical comparisons are not really valid. Vass is cheaper than Edward Green by a huge margin, and I don't think that Edward Green is better. I don't think that Saint Crispins is better. But people buy what they like due to style, fit, and branding. 

5) I didn't take this an F.U. from Alden and I don't believe that you guys should either. They are stuck in the past, which is a big part of their appeal for many people. They've never treated me rudely or dismissively... and believe me, those attitudes are totally common in this industry. This is simply how they work and both vendors and customers can take it or leave it. They've certainly got challenges ahead of them - which we all do - so it's an open question as to how sustainable that position is. But it's not coming from malice, and they do take pride in what they make. 

All that stuff said...I built out a stock Ryden item. I'll give you guys that same historic price, but they'll be the full $775 for any new dudes stumbling upon it. Here's the link: 

RYDEN BOOT OPEN STOCK

And you can use this code to get $40 and make it the group buy price. We've got a 9.5D and an 8.5EEE so far: 

[COLOR=31373D]Ryden for our friends[/COLOR]

A great post in so many ways, I'll be keeping my RydenBoots.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "Ultraviolet" purple William Lockie Donegal sweater arrived yesterday and it's truly awesome. The material is so soft and it's surprisingly warm for being relatively lightweight. I really wish I would have also ordered one in the "Pacific Blue" or "Bordeaux" color as well.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet,

Is there a more definite ETA for the Somelos EFF?

@nickpapagiorgio yes sir, scheduled for pickup from Portugal next Tuesday. Hopefully arriving in LA right before Christmas.

After much obsessive reading and rereading of this thread over the last 24 hours, I'm keeping this baby. Just paid the remaining balance. I look forward to wearing the hell out of these boots as they deserve.

@RuleOfRescue excellent! I think that you're going to be really happy with them! Post up some photos after they arrive
smile.gif

Hertling Donegal vest and Russet Tweed Walts
ec818a54850e25cee9ca528a4848ff7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Don L really sharp Don! Love the color pairing on all that!

My "Ultraviolet" purple William Lockie Donegal sweater arrived yesterday and it's truly awesome. The material is so soft and it's surprisingly warm for being relatively lightweight. I really wish I would have also ordered one in the "Pacific Blue" or "Bordeaux" color as well.

@Michigan Planner excellent! Man, that was my favorite color of all time. I was able to photograph everything made up, so we'll see.. maybe it's possible to do a second round with delivery still in the Winter. I know that Lockie is pretty empty this time of year, just depends on how available the yarn is.

Thefenceposts

Reaction score
@epaulet quick bump for a question buried in the shell discussion - were the sweaters from past years also made by William Lockie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads