• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that Alden's non shell offerings being a bit overpriced. But Viberg is pretty damn expensive as well. Vass is the best when it comes to price/value when you buy direct from them.

But if you compare shell prices, the difference is much higher. Alden shell is around $700-775. Viberg is at $1100. Vass is just over $1000.

I like them all. Just have to deal with the quirks that comes with each brand. I will say that Viberg's CS beats the other 2 by miles. Very similar to Mike's CS here.

I bought the following boots directly from Vass for 750 euros:

Calf and suede is 440 eu. For MTOs.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Alden's non shell offerings being a bit overpriced. But Viberg is pretty damn expensive as well. Vass is the best when it comes to price/value when you buy direct from them.

But if you compare shell prices, the difference is much higher. Alden shell is around $700-775. Viberg is at $1100. Vass is just over $1000.

I like them all. Just have to deal with the quirks that comes with each brand. I will say that Viberg's CS beats the other 2 by miles. Very similar to Mike's CS here.
All true.

It's all relative depending on what you like.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet - With the new Alden arrivals, any word on the #8 Alt Wien boots?

FWIW - I think one of the reasons I originally passed on the Rayden Boot was that I didn't like the idea of an antique edge on the black shell. I like this version as delivered much much better. If anybody passes on a 7.5e, I might be interested. lol

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll likely pass on mine but they're 7.5D. I agree that the makeup is still nice enough but my wallet has learned it's lesson that if you have an inkling of doubt about a purchase, you probably shouldn't accept the compromise no matter how small.

And I totally agree on Mike. A+.

cyclohexane

Reaction score
Didn't realize there was an option to pass on these. Went ahead and paid the balance right away (hey, I commited way back then). Shows what I get for not following the thread religiously. Lol

I don't mind the black edging, though obviously antique is way better.

What I ended up doing, however, was whiffing on my size. I had tried on every Alden last, but never any Barrie tall boots. Apparently, I wear Barrie SHOES a half size down, but Barrie and TruBalance BOOTS are true to size for me.

I've got a pair of the Rydens in 8.5 EEE that are paid for but unshipped (at the moment) if anyone's looking. I can probably list it in the marketplace and move them given the width, but if someone in this thread needs this size...

I've also got a pair of the Taunton boot in the same 8.5 EEE that have never been outside and only gently tried-on on carpet. Lol

Thefenceposts

Reaction score
Non-Alden related question: have past EP sweaters also been made by William Lockie? with the exception of Northern Watters, obviously

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be extremely curious to hear what the issues is with shell and a black welt specifically. I've seen high-quality stuff done with black CXL and antique welt/edge - can't imagine shell is that different.

If they say shell and brass have some issues I can kinda see it (maybe), but the welt??????

[edit - I will say I'm not a black-leather guy, and that is a mighty fine-looking boot...]

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the debacle with the Alden black shell boots, Ryder nailed the design perfectly. The black reverse welt and edging negated the uniqueness of that design. I'm conflicted about what to do because of that. Someone said it's an easy fix but that's not the case. I'm not sure I want to pay to have the reverse welt replaced, which is what it would take to do it properly. What a disappointment, and just increases my frustration with Alden. I sympathize with what Alden stockists must have to go through.

Mike's transparency, honesty and customer service is just awesome.

cyclohexane

Reaction score
Just FYI if anyone wants the 8.5EEE black shell boot, Mike reached out and is taking care of it (EP'a number one customer service at work yet again), so get at @Epaulet if this boot sounds like something you would want.

I know I have not seen *any* EEE Barrie last shell tall boots from another retailer in the last two or three years, so this could be a great opportunity for someone.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to pile on here, I agree with everyone saying the black welt pretty much killed the design. Right now it's just a black boot. The combo with the brass eyelets, no speed hooks, and antique welt and edge trim really would have made it a unique one-of-a-kind makeup.

Maybe someone will have to work up a special makeup for a similar boot in something other than black shell. I know shell is worse than crack to an Alden addict, but I think if you take the same boot (with antique welt and edge) and use something like black calf or CXL, or maybe a black Regina grain, it would look pretty killer.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to pile on here, I agree with everyone saying the black welt pretty much killed the design. Right now it's just a black boot. The combo with the brass eyelets, no speed hooks, and antique welt and edge trim really would have made it a unique one-of-a-kind makeup.

Maybe someone will have to work up a special makeup for a similar boot in something other than black shell. I know shell is worse than crack to an Alden addict, but I think if you take the same boot (with antique welt and edge) and use something like black calf or CXL, or maybe a black Regina grain, it would look pretty killer.

That's exactly what Leffot did to try and make up for the fact that they had to change the Walter boot. Black Trapper leather.

The new version of the cordovan Walter boot, renamed the Hoodoo boot. Same fate as the Rydenboot.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be extremely curious to hear what the issues is with shell and a black welt specifically. I've seen high-quality stuff done with black CXL and antique welt/edge - can't imagine shell is that different.

If they say shell and brass have some issues I can kinda see it (maybe), but the welt??????

[edit - I will say I'm not a black-leather guy, and that is a mighty fine-looking boot...]

Alden glops on their own finishing substance (I don't know what the **** is it, say acrylic based stain or some ****) to the leather after the boot is welted. This gets on the welt, so black shell paint on antique welt makes the boot ugly and seconds.

#8 paint on antique is fine, blends in easier.

They don't finish CXL or apply any products to other leathers, and only apply the edge/welt stain after the fact. (as far as I know)

Who the **** knows.... When Alden is on and the QC is there, they make some really great products!

However, when they are off, it is frustrating for retailers and clients alike who wait long periods for what we see as basic orders (a plain toe black shell boot, 2.5 years come on....) with little or no updates on changes or completion dates.

Too bad all this happened, I was actually going to say if we want a boot for next winter, we should order now before all this **** hit the fan.

I would recommend we do:

Epaulet Ironside NST (Reverse Earth Cham, or Reverse Hunter Green Cham)
Barrie Last
360 Storm Antique
Commando

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads