• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, all of this is exactly why I have lost much of my interest in Alden. Hard to think of a clothing/shoe company that I am more "over."

Cost increases, insanely long lead times, and bizarre limitations on makeup configurations have really left me scratching my head. Add to that the fact that most new #8 shell is practically black and the fact that my last new pair of Aldens looked like absolute **** (not from EP, promptly returned) and I just don't see the point.

Much more interested in more affordable lines like EP's in-house stuff or going full tilt on EG or StC caliber stuff these days...

Yeah, it's a shame.

While my Ep x Alden Alt Weins are magnificent and I love 'em, my recent Navy Chamois Tankers (not Ep) had slices in the toe leather of one boot and had the top of the midsole and stitching on the other boot sort of crushed and run over with black dye. Got $250 off (and complimentary shoe trees) so they work for me.

That being said, where's the TANKERSHELL15 code?
mwink[1].gif

Nvspwndamnstr39

Reaction score
I have tanker shells in 8 and black on Barrie. Trying to convince myself I don't need a trubalance version. This why we can't have nice patina.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, all of this is exactly why I have lost much of my interest in Alden. Hard to think of a clothing/shoe company that I am more "over."

Cost increases, insanely long lead times, and bizarre limitations on makeup configurations have really left me scratching my head. Add to that the fact that most new #8 shell is practically black and the fact that my last new pair of Aldens looked like absolute **** (not from EP, promptly returned) and I just don't see the point.

Much more interested in more affordable lines like EP's in-house stuff or going full tilt on EG or StC caliber stuff these days...

EP is an awesome vendor and my statement is nothing against them.

I quit buying Aldens a few years ago and have sold off most of my shell. I have only really kept a couple pairs of ravello and those are currently collecting dust. I agree with prior statements that this is a big FU to their customers. 2 years for a boot just to be delivered something that is not what was ordered and with no communication. I really don't believe Alden cares. If I pass on the boots someone else will buy and life will move on. The Alden shell is in so much demand that they can do this and be fine.

I've bought probably 20 pairs of Aldens in my life. Whether I pick these up and attempt to get resoled.... or if I pass and apply my deposit towards ridiculously awesome EP goods, it's my last pair of Aldens I will purchase.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EP is an awesome vendor and my statement is nothing against them.

I quit buying Aldens a few years ago and have sold off most of my shell. I have only really kept a couple pairs of ravello and those are currently collecting dust. I agree with prior statements that this is a big FU to their customers. 2 years for a boot just to be delivered something that is not what was ordered and with no communication. I really don't believe Alden cares. If I pass on the boots someone else will buy and life will move on. The Alden shell is in so much demand that they can do this and be fine.

I've bought probably 20 pairs of Aldens in my life. Whether I pick these up and attempt to get resoled.... or if I pass and apply my deposit towards ridiculously awesome EP goods, it's my last pair of Aldens I will purchase.
Absolutely.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is something to think about that you could make a decent list of shoemakers that could very easily deliver a black shell boot with antique or natural edge, and in much shorter order, but then I guess those wouldn't be Aldens would they...? :rotflmao:

Not to make light of any disappointment people in on this order may be feeling.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is something to think about that you could make a decent list of shoemakers that could very easily deliver a black shell boot with antique or natural edge, and in much shorter order, but then I guess those wouldn't be Aldens would they...?
rotflmao.gif

Not to make light of any disappointment people in on this order may be feeling.
That's kind of why I've never been interested in Alden. Despite all the hype, I've never cared much for their designs, and they are becoming increasingly restrictive with what you can and cannot order. The wait times are ridiculous, I mean 2+ years for a shell boot when most other manufacturers could get that to you in two months. It's ultimately such a disappointing ordeal.

ino68

Reaction score
It's laughable that a highly respected shoe maker has such a problem making first quality shoes to a very basic spec.

But then even Edward Green has been known to take several attempts to make one first quality MTO pair.

Tough business eh!

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet you without antique edge this make would never materialized. Easy fix though and Mike is always A+ with his service.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was speaking with a very knowledgable friend about this, and he told me that B.Nelson in NY and Randy the Cobbler in AZ both offer edge refinishing. I imagine that the side is pretty easy and fast to do, but that black storm welt probably has to stay. So you'd most likely have a two-tone effect at the top. 

I can reach out to them tomorrow and get an idea on price and turnaround time. I'll see if they have any example photos as well. 

If anyone wants to use their service, we can certainly send the boots there, but I can't pay for or guarantee their work. So once it leaves our hands, the customer would have to deal with them directly. 

Although.. the upside is.. if you end up with a rare pair of post-2015 Black Shell Cordovan Alden's with a sole that isn't black, you'd be ruling the roost on the #aldenarmy of Instagram. 

You can have the boots re-welted if you wanted, but you are basically cutting the life of the boot by a 1/3. Brian the bootmaker replaces the welts on his work, usually by hand as well. It can be costly, almost $300.

B.Nelson has been hit or miss for me in the past. Never used Randy the cobbler but I've seen good things on the internetz.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plus Alden's prices are approaching Vass and Viberg levels.

They shouldn't be. I don't feel that their footwear is worth full retail....But that is the market at work.

I agree that Alden's non shell offerings being a bit overpriced. But Viberg is pretty damn expensive as well. Vass is the best when it comes to price/value when you buy direct from them.

But if you compare shell prices, the difference is much higher. Alden shell is around $700-775. Viberg is at $1100. Vass is just over $1000.

I like them all. Just have to deal with the quirks that comes with each brand. I will say that Viberg's CS beats the other 2 by miles. Very similar to Mike's CS here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads