• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We need an EddieMcZee sport coat stamp of approval emoji.

Then we could all just slap one in our quotes of home runs like macjedi's jacket.

Who develops these things?

Albrecht

Reaction score
Mike: Please see emails and/or PM about missing invoice for your latest combined shipment to me. It's kind of urgent, the storage period at Norwegian Customs while waiting for documentation is quite short, then they return to sender.

z8k1n

Reaction score
Friends, my eyes were bigger than my wallet and I got in on the shell sneaker pre-order size 8.5 in cigar, oxblood and navy.
I'm going to sell 2 of the 3 , most likely I'll keep the navy (and maybe cigar ;) but PM if interested.
Also up for trading (like small navy spec fisherman sweater?).
LL

Badandy

Reaction score
What I'd give for a reasonably priced epaulet crewneck knit sweater...

(you know, just throwing that out there)

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did the Gloverall and Shetland sweater today... super happy with both. The duffle sleeves are a bit short for my ape arms, but that's my own genetic problem (and a good excuse to show off a watch)! Great coat, thank you.
Speaking of sweaters is this the lovat color? I really like that one.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike's POV and what I've found to be the general consensus is to size up, as it's an easier task for a tailor to keep proportions by taking in.

But everyone has their own preference...

My personal taste is that I'd rather let the waist out than take it in.

trying to get my first pair of epaulet trousers and thinking of going with the Driggs.  Question for you veterans out there, I like the smaller thigh of the 33's but have the waist of a 34.  Do I buy the 33's and let the waist out or go with the 34's? Seems like letting the waist out should be easy for a tailor?  Does it make the waist look weird?

Thanks,
Chris

When it comes to trouser alterations, I'd say that there's two key considerations:

1) Leg alterations are generally more difficult and expensive than waist & seat alterations. So if you're between sizes, then it's often best to go with the leg fit that works better. If you like the leg fit of the 33 but you need the waist of the 34, then buy the 33 and let it out. Or vice-versa.

2) If the leg fit is okay on both sizes but something like your waist or seat is the issue, then if possible, go up a size and have a tailor take it in.

For CPaul specifically - I'd suggest buying both the 33 and the 34 if you can. Check them out in person so that you can compare and contrast the two fits. And you can certainly feel free to email us pics for advice.

Purple Shetland tweed Walts

This is freaking mind blowing. What a great combo!

Couple questions / comments for Mike or anyone else who might be able to answer:

CXL Belts - I own the Navy and Natty, both are awesome, got them in 34s (I'm a waist 32 or 33).  Wear the Natty far more than the Navy, and it has stretched almost a full 1 and 5/8" vs. the Navy (also compared to the Snuff Suede epaulet 34 belt as well for comparison's sake, the Natty CXL is about 2" longer than that belt).

I believe Mike and others noted the stretching is to be expected with CXL leather.    Does this mean though that I should be sizing down for these belts to the 32 should I purchase another one (looking at the Brown)?  I think I should, but just wanted some feedback from the experts.

Heirloom Cardigan - really, really like this thing, just received shipment (the Navy, it's really very good looking and fits perfectly).   It is, however, an itchy sweater these first wears for me, just tried it on with a T-shirt (neck and arms exposed/itchy).  Has anyone else experienced this itchiness, is it to be expected, and if so, assume this smooths out over time?  Or no?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a little concerned about this myself b/c I seem to be more sensitive to itchy wool. I was assuming it would soften but I'm wondering if a wash or two once it arrives wouldn't expedite this? Anyone travel this path with their Heirloom? 

Cool - thanks for the feedback guys - figured it would soften/itch less over time, but was def curious to hear from others. Much appreciated!

For the Chromexcel belts, I don't typically advise to size down, but you certainly can.

Single-piece, full grain leather belts will often stretch with wear. They're also stronger because you're dealing with just a single, thick piece of skin. You won't get much stretch at all on the suede belt because that's stitched onto a veg tan liner, and two part belts tend to hold their shape more.

The CXL belt stretch depends on how tightly you wear it and where your trousers/jeans sit on your waist, so some customers will experience more stretch than others. A properly fit belt is going to fit in the middle of its sizing range, so you usually just move to the next hole as it gets a little bigger. I haven't heard any issues of belts stretching so much that they're too big to easily wear. But if you own one of our belts already and you see the stretch that you get, just measure it out and see where it would fall if it was 2" shorter. You can then decide to size down or not with a subsequent piece.

For the Heirloom Sweaters, that British Lambwool is on the coarser side when it's new. It's certainly not as soft as our Scottish sweaters. But it's best to think of this like raw denim, or Harris Tweed, or a new pair of boots. It's designed to break in and soften with wear. It's never going to feel like cashmere, but it will naturally pick up oils with wear and soften up quite a bit. This texture is also what gives it such a long wearing life, and allows it to keep its shape while maintaining such an open knit.

It can be hand-washed, but be advised - this will probably bring back the original coarseness, as you'll wash the oils out. It will shrink it up a bit too. Just google how to hand-wash a handknit sweater and block it out while drying.

Bought both natural and brown belts! Thank God the small waisted folks didnt beat me to it

Thank you sir! We packed them up today.

So, question to clarify. When you're talking about sizes for belts vs. trouser size, is that trouser size a real waist measurement, EP sizing (off of real by 1 inch usually), or average vanity sizing (2-4 inches)? I measure a 34 waist, in a real literal measurement, usually buy Walts in 34 (for the extra leg room) and have the waist taken back in. Would that be a 34 or a 36 belt?

Thanks. 

I'd advise picking up both a 34 and 36 belt if that's realistic. If not, go for the 36.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads