• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@DonRaphael

We are the exact same size. Thanks for the input, I may try the 804 in 7 and not 7G (which I think I prefer for the 946). I can wear the 946 in 7.5, but after a long day my feet swell and the toe box pinches. Feels a quarter size too long, too.

I'm just worried about my high instep.

What I like about the 946 in G is the toe; someone posted an Oxford in this width and the toe seemed like G&G MH71, even EB's own 2102B (which I think is underrated).

@borbor

Why do you like the 804 over the 946?

I'm glad I could help. Maybe you could return the favor, lol. I've had my eyes on the 2102B last but haven't taken a plunge on it since I haven't had the opportunity to try it on. I hear from the good people at SkoAB that the instep is somewhat problematic. Could you comment on that? The facing of the 946 (UK7,5) and 804 (UK7) lasts are gaping open approximately 0,75cm the first time I wear them. How does the instep of the 2102B compare to 946/804? Which size do you take on the 2102B? What about width/length differences between 2102B and 946? Do you happen to have a side by side picture of the 2102B and 946 side by side?

Many questions, I know. Sorry about that.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, so I'll let others chime in on the technicalities, but from my experience with Rain/946/804 I'd say the EB lasts definitely fit snuger around the heel/ankle compared to Rain. The 946 last sits higher around the ankle as well. The 804 is longer overall compared to 946 in the same size. I didn't measure them with 1/2 differential and I don't have the 804 last at hand. As for 946 compared to Rain in the same size, the latter is 1/8" longer. Hope that helps.

Most useful post I have read in a while. We are the same size in everything (Rain, Simpson, Vass) except I have nothing EB, but do want.... Would you say your foot is on the narrower side? as in typical US D width? , how is your instep?, mine is low. Biggest thing for me is the need for that narrower heel.

Thanks @DonRaphael

7UK in 804 may be the ticket here.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael

I'm on the road all day, but will try to update with photos of 946,2102B,Rain shoes side by side.

I'll say this: I have a 2102B in 7.5F and it's much looser than my 946 in 7.5F, definitely longer and possibly higher instep. It's just a damn beautiful last. Just look at the black peccary button boots with Blake stitched soles on Skoak IG. The 2012B shines with captoes, especially medallioned versions. But the 946 in G width might come close to that shape.

And no worries on the questions. Learned when I first got into this game that it could take a while to figure out what fit your prefer, especially if you're borderline sizes in many lasts.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most useful post I have read in a while.  We are the same size in everything (Rain, Simpson, Vass) except I have nothing EB, but do want....   Would you say your foot is on the narrower side? as in typical US D width? , how is your instep?, mine is low.  Biggest thing for me is the need for that narrower heel.

Thanks @DonRaphael

7UK in 804 may be the ticket here.

I'm glad I could help. I'm not sure about my instep, but I believe it's high since shoes that features high instep a generally fit me better. As for width, my feet are definitely not on the narrow side. All my shoes are medium width, although sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be better off sizing up width wise.

The heel/ankle grip is definitely better on EB compared to Carmina from my experience.

@DonRaphael

I'm on the road all day, but will try to update with photos of 946,2102B,Rain shoes side by side.

I'll say this: I have a 2102B in 7.5F and it's much looser than my 946 in 7.5F, definitely longer and possibly higher instep. It's just a damn beautiful last. Just look at the black peccary button boots with Blake stitched soles on Skoak IG. The 2012B shines with captoes, especially medallioned versions. But the 946 in G width might come close to that shape.

And no worries on the questions. Learned when I first got into this game that it could take a while to figure out what fit your prefer, especially if you're borderline sizes in many lasts.

Thanks for your input. I'm looking forward to those pictures. And no stress, take them when you find some free time. As for the instep height, what about when you lace up your 946 shoes, does the facing close completely or does it gap? Same goes for the 2102B last? Thanks again.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I could help. I'm not sure about my instep, but I believe it's high since shoes that features high instep a generally fit me better. As for width, my feet are definitely not on the narrow side. All my shoes are medium width, although sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be better off sizing up width wise.

The heel/ankle grip is definitely better on EB compared to Carmina from my experience.

What is your issue with 8UK Simpson? Or are you just purging for closet room? I find 8UK Simpson fits me very well. Just trying to gauge EB sizing based on your experiences. I could use a hair more room in the forefoot on Simpson, but its a great snug last for me in oxfords.

borbor

Reaction score
@DonRaphael

We are the exact same size. Thanks for the input, I may try the 804 in 7 and not 7G (which I think I prefer for the 946). I can wear the 946 in 7.5, but after a long day my feet swell and the toe box pinches. Feels a quarter size too long, too.

What I like about the 946 in G is the toe; someone posted an Oxford in this width and the toe seemed like G&G MH71, even EB's own 2102B (which I think is underrated).

@borbor

@Leaves

Does EB offer the 804 and 2102B in G width? I know 946 has many widths...

to my eyes, they're sleeker. the way the 946 is chiselled really doesn't sit right with my eyes.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael

946 (7.5F), 2102B (7.5F), Rain (7.5) Chelsea in lizard

The EB lasts don't curve as much like a banana as the Rain last, which almost appears like a soft chiseled version of EG 82 to my eyes, maybe slightly more taper.

Toe box of 2102B doesn't taper as quickly as Rain, or maybe it's longer so it appears that way. EB made a mistake and didn't do the captoe on my MTO, which is a shame and would've popped nicely in the toe box of this last.

Fit pics of my 2012B, laces close all the way up with plenty room to spare, so I guess that means there's too much volume in the shaft.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/48068/enzo-bonafe-handmade-shoes/930#post_7993830

Here's the 946 in G width:
http://tofo.me/p/1086027952611499922_1376995870

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So out of three which last do you like the best sacafotos?

Rain for a plain toe—derby/Oxford, Chelsea—2012B for a cap or medallion toe. Rain really is a masterpiece. I'm loving the 804 the more I see pics of it on the aubergine Jodhpurs (see jiggly.parts IG account)

I'd say if you like the fit of the 946 but chisel is a bit too sharp, and you're thinking of a more casual pair, consider visually "flattening" the chisel with details like chained Norvegese Stitching, which I'd consider for a boot like the EB "Galway."

And consider the 773, which appears to be between 804 and 946, softer chisel than the latter:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...-official-affiliate-thread/14010#post_7967612

I think if instep isn't tight and width isn't forcibly squeezing foot, then going down half in length could be the answer. If those areas are tight and shoe is a tad long (say at least half a pencil width could fit behind heel), then go down half a length and up in width.

That's my very general observation.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is your issue with 8UK Simpson?  Or are you just purging for closet room?  I find 8UK Simpson fits me very well.  Just trying to gauge EB sizing based on your experiences.  I could use a hair more room in the forefoot on Simpson, but its a great snug last for me in oxfords.

It's two-fold. I'm experiencing a fit issue with regard to width and instep, but also want to make room for some other shoes.

@DonRaphael

946 (7.5F), 2102B (7.5F), Rain (7.5) Chelsea in lizard

The EB lasts don't curve as much like a banana as the Rain last, which almost appears like a soft chiseled version of EG 82 to my eyes, maybe slightly more taper.

Toe box of 2102B doesn't taper as quickly as Rain, or maybe it's longer so it appears that way. EB made a mistake and didn't do the captoe on my MTO, which is a shame and would've popped nicely in the toe box of this last.

Fit pics of my 2012B, laces close all the way up with plenty room to spare, so I guess that means there's too much volume in the shaft.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/48068/enzo-bonafe-handmade-shoes/930#post_7993830

Here's the 946 in G width:
http://tofo.me/p/1086027952611499922_1376995870

Thanks for those pictures and your comments. I can see what you mean with preferring the 2102B to feature a cap toe with a medallion. Maybe I should take a chance with it. If I have approximately 0,5-0,75cm of gaping with 946/804 with the first couple of wears, maybe the instep of 2102B won't be that problematic as I first thought.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael

My pleasure. Keep asking more questions if you have any.

What MTO are you considering?

I think from what I've seen, the following leathers from EB are home runs:

Pewter, like a grey-olive tint to EG Bronze.
Vitello Etrusco, perfect red-brown color.
Aubergine, like GG Vintage Rioja.
Vitello Bolet, perfect burnt caramel brown.
Gold and Brown Museum Calf, great mottling.
Plum Museum Calf, super rich wine color with mottling.
Walnut Suede, looks like GG Fox Suede.
Buffalo (see jiggly.parts IG for his boots), great texture looks pliable like Taransjo calf that Skoak uses for Carmina Jumpers.

And seriously, EB Millerighe soles should just come standard. Perfectly sleek, durable, and grippy. I just wish it came in a brown color as well, maybe @GabrielOB would know.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rain for a plain toe—derby/Oxford, Chelsea—2012B for a cap or medallion toe. Rain really is a masterpiece. I'm loving the 804 the more I see pics of it on the aubergine Jodhpurs (see jiggly.parts IG account)

I'd say if you like the fit of the 946 but chisel is a bit too sharp, and you're thinking of a more casual pair, consider visually "flattening" the chisel with details like chained Norvegese Stitching, which I'd consider for a boot like the EB "Galway."

And consider the 773, which appears to be between 804 and 946, softer chisel than the latter:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...-official-affiliate-thread/14010#post_7967612

I think if instep isn't tight and width isn't forcibly squeezing foot, then going down half in length could be the answer. If those areas are tight and shoe is a tad long (say at least half a pencil width could fit behind heel), then go down half a length and up in width.

That's my very general observation.

Thank you for the input & info cleared up lot of things :D

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@DonRaphael

@borbor

@Leaves

Does EB offer the 804 and 2102B in G width? I know 946 has many widths...

Only one width for these lasts.

Skoaktiebolaget

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@DonRaphael

My pleasure. Keep asking more questions if you have any.

What MTO are you considering?

I think from what I've seen, the following leathers from EB are home runs:

Pewter, like a grey-olive tint to EG Bronze.
Vitello Etrusco, perfect red-brown color.
Aubergine, like GG Vintage Rioja.
Vitello Bolet, perfect burnt caramel brown.
Gold and Brown Museum Calf, great mottling.
Plum Museum Calf, super rich wine color with mottling.
Walnut Suede, looks like GG Fox Suede.
Buffalo (see jiggly.parts IG for his boots), great texture looks pliable like Taransjo calf that Skoak uses for Carmina Jumpers.

And seriously, EB Millerighe soles should just come standard. Perfectly sleek, durable, and grippy. I just wish it came in a brown color as well, maybe @GabrielOB would know.
Unfortunately, the Millerighe soles does only come in one color

Cityplace

Reaction score
I know there have been some discussions on the 2102b last, so hopefully this helps. I am a 11UK in both the 2102b and Carmina Simpson last - to me they fit very similar with a slightly higher instep on the EB's (2102b in burgundy and Simpson in black):

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads