• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

paddymac

Reaction score
Is it me or did EG raise the prices just recently?
I was eyeing up the Cranleighs. I could have sworn it wasn’t £1525 as it is today
Think it was around £1.4ishk last time I checked

Oh well

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it me or did EG raise the prices just recently?
I was eyeing up the Cranleighs. I could have sworn it wasn’t £1525 as it is today
Think it was around £1.4ishk last time I checked

Oh well
Yep, seems so.

I bought a pair of Galways at £1265 last week and now they are £1300.

Belgravia up to £1115 from £1050.

The Cranleigh has jumped a lot though - £1365 to £1525.

I hope quality control and finishing are also tightened up to reflect the new price point.

Pushedboar

Reaction score
Yep, seems so.

I hope quality control and finishing are also tightened up to reflect the new price point.
That’s right, noticed as well - Uk prices are up £50-100 in a few models. The Chelsea’s are up to £1050 or so from the £995 mark. Makes me feel better about grabbing my shoe in the sale.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is rubbing me the wrong way somewhat given the QC issues I’ve personally experienced with EG lately.

I know it’s driven by raw materials, energy and wage inflation but equally this is now a very high-end price tag and they need to make sure the shoes that come out of the factory are all up to standard.

Haagendazs

Reaction score
Yep, seems so.

I think we all know full well all brands increase their price and decrease their quality over time once they're established
Even for gaziano girling I think it's the same, just that they increased their price like rocket in return 'just' decreased the quality of the leather but finishing/qc remains very good

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we all know full well all brands increase their price and decrease their quality over time once they're established
Even for gaziano girling I think it's the same, just that they increased their price like rocket in return 'just' decreased the quality of the leather but finishing/qc remains very good
In general I’d agree with you, for the vast majority of products. However, I’ve got EGs from the 90s all the way to 2022 and I’d say they are better made now than they used to be, certainly in leather quality.

I haven’t seen recent QC issues, and if there have been some then that is disappointing, but their rejects are usually better than other’s perfects.

The price rises are significant though, albeit understood and I don’t think I’ll ever justify another pair at retail or sale prices, and possibly even at factory shop prices, if they follow the same percentage increase.

My lack of justification is also driven by having, erm, plenty of pairs, so most definitely a first world problem, so don’t feel bad for me!

Ken1036

Reaction score
In general I’d agree with you, for the vast majority of products. However, I’ve got EGs from the 90s all the way to 2022 and I’d say they are better made now than they used to be, certainly in leather quality.

I haven’t seen recent QC issues, and if there have been some then that is disappointing, but their rejects are usually better than other’s perfects.

The price rises are significant though, albeit understood and I don’t think I’ll ever justify another pair at retail or sale prices, and possibly even at factory shop prices, if they follow the same percentage increase.

My lack of justification is also driven by having, erm, plenty of pairs, so most definitely a first world problem, so don’t feel bad for me!
The hunt is a thrill. Finding a great EG pair on sale or barely used at a great discount is a forever win. Never pay retail (some say). I'd love to see lasted shoe trees included in every new pair, but I know that's a remote possibility and a dream (I know you read these posts EG! Do it!).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads