• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd personally not worry too much about the colour of country footwear, more about the suitability of the chosen materials when dealing with the local conditions.

Just as a diversion, I've taken a few pics of a pair of WW2 Lotus veldtschoen boots which are very much the forerunner of the original Galway as it was Lotus who first made and patented the construction method.

The boots are made from zug grain and have been recently resoled. Look at the similarities with the Galway, with both being a unlined wholecut derby boot made of robust leather. Note also the full bellows tongue as opposed to the Galway's half-bellows one. These were rewaxed yesterday as I still use them, along with another pair from WW2 which I own:

The boots were often used a private purchase field boots as British Empire commissioned officers, and they were noted to be costly in their day.

Thanks for kicking this off, CT - great history and information. I daresay that the old Lotus' are not a bit poncey.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Much appreciated but in the meantime can you tell us in what colors reindeer is available. I am eying Falkirk but I am undecided about the color or leather material.

Calico

Cobalt

Eucalyptus

Mace

Navy

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger, the Westminsters look great.

The original color was pretty fugly. Maple is perhaps the elusive Band-Aid color Manton once wrote about; it looked like undyed leather with just a hint of burnishing.

Cheers. I guess one good thing that can be said of Maple is that it makes an excellent canvas for any number of different custom looks.

CTBrummie

Reaction score

Thanks for kicking this off, CT - great history and information. I daresay that the old Lotus' are not a bit poncey.

No problem, I'll try and get a pic at the weekend of the old zug next to modem day country calf so you can understand how hardy the old zug veldts were/are.

If you search the thread you'll find pics of an old EG pre-Galway veldt boot that I posted, recently sold as part of a clear out. They were zug/Heather gorse...otherwise let me know and I'll try and dig out the pics again...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

member2000r

Reaction score
Is EG tends to run size bigger?

I feel G&G UK9E too narrow but 9F in EG a bit big. 8.5F is okay.

BTW I am waiting for my G&G UK9F Deco green, will reflect

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Depends on what last shape you're referring to. On the topic of widths, EG shoes run narrow, so a D is more like a US E, and an E is more like a US D width. Of course, this is more pronounced on the 82 last than others, such as the 202/606.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is EG tends to run size bigger?

I feel G&G UK9E too narrow but 9F in EG a bit big. 8.5F is okay.

BTW I am waiting for my G&G UK9F Deco green, will reflect

^ Depends on what last shape you're referring to.  On the topic of widths, EG shoes run narrow, so a D is more like a US E, and an E is more like a US D width.  Of course, this is more pronounced on the 82 last than others, such as the 202/606.

My G&G are more "snug" than my EG in the same size (6.5E)...not enough to size up or down though.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it so terribly wrong to order your third pair of Galways even though you have yet to receive your second pair? Heck I've even contemplated a fourth pair.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that they don't even come in Cordovan. Most of my other boots are in Cordovan.

I gather EG isn't really big on cordovan in general -only offered on a few models. I have a handful of cordovan shoes but haven't yet added a Cordovan boot. A few different ones are calling to me right now, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads