• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I especially like seeing these made up in one colour only, I think many times people have a tendency to go a bit too crazy mixing suede and leather.

^ So true! I enjoy the conservative and classic look of one continuos color/material on this type of boot. Well done.

I am curious about the types of leather dressing people opt for on a dress boot like this, or a country boot in country calf. Please advise. Thanks.

Renton

Reaction score
Just heard back from Skoaktiebolaget, EG is out of Heather Gorse and there are no concrete plans for a restock. It's back to the drawing board for my dover mto.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In some older Edward Green catalogs, for example, the Galway comes in two country style versions:

(1) "Country" version in Rosewood Antique
(2) "Highlander" version in Heather Gorse

Aside from leather type, other details appear to be the very similar: Veldtschoen construction, four speed hooks, Medway or Ridgeway sole, waxed laces.

The same style treatment was also given to the Dover:

(1) "Country" version in Almond Country Calf - double leather sole, 202
(2) "Highlander" version in Heather Gorse, 505, ridgeway sole

Can't Country Calf be substituted for Heather Gorse, if the factory is out of Heather Gorse? Is the Heather Gorse any more waterproof than Country Calf? Is it reasonable to assume some winter/waterproof dressing could make the Country Calf more impervious to water than it is out of the factory?

Cheers.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw them, too. Was wondering the same thing.....

Nope, those are just a pair of Tricker's 'Regent' captoes made by Tricker's on the 4537 last.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings all - just a few pics of a new arrival. A while back the good people at Skoak had a pair of EG Westminsters on sale, in my size in my size. And as I've long been a fan of double monks in general, and this rendition in particular, I was very tempted. Only problem: they were in Maple.

orig.jpg

No offense to fans of this shade, but it was a case of "like" at best for me, and at this price point I have got to feel much love to make a purchase. Coincidentally, I had just read a blog post on TheShoeSnobBlog about the custom patina work of Alexander Nurulaeff ( http://www.dandyshoecare.it/ ) and inquired as to whether the good people at Skoak would assist in sending the shoes out (and receiving them back) on my behalf.

Having given Mr. Nurulaeff a very general idea of what I had in mind, I simply let him do what he thought looked best. I have the shoes in hand now - and while I appreciate this won't be to everyone's taste (what is? I absolutely love them. My thanks to Alexander and to Skoaktiebolaget!

orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Greetings all - just a few pics of a new arrival.  A while back the good people at Skoak had a pair of EG Westminsters on sale, in my size in my size.  And as I've long been a fan of double monks in general, and this rendition in particular, I was very tempted.  Only problem: they were in Maple.
orig.jpg

No offense to fans of this shade, but it was a case of "like" at best for me, and at this price point I have got to feel much love to make a purchase. Coincidentally, I had just read a blog post on TheShoeSnobBlog about the custom patina work of Alexander Nurulaeff ( http://www.dandyshoecare.it/ ) and inquired as to whether the good people at Skoak would assist in sending the shoes out (and receiving them back) on my behalf.

Having given Mr. Nurulaeff a very general idea of what I had in mind, I simply let him do what he thought looked best. I have the shoes in hand now - and while I appreciate this won't be to everyone's taste (what is? I absolutely love them. My thanks to Alexander and to Skoaktiebolaget!

orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg

RogerP, great look and a nice change from maple. I assume he used dye and not just polish to get that look? It's like a bolder museum calf effect!

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He does such wonderful work!

How long was the turn around from them being sent and you getting them back?

I definitely have a few old pairs of shoes lying around that could use some new vibrancy.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love the shoes Roger, I would love to have a pair in that patina! did the gentlemen learn the trick from Berluti ? Because the close to one of my Berluti shoes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Roger P, those are great, simply amazing at how they were "remastered". Skoak is a class act for acting as the facilitator. I have a pair of rider shell walnut boots I want to get antiqued. May I ask how much the remastering set you back?

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing. Those are not for everyone, for every shoe, or for every occasion -- but I think they are absolutely beautiful. I saw these when the video was posted and immediately thought of Berluti. But I'm not a huge fan of Berluti's styles, so this seems the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do them through Leffot. Definitely not the cheapest, but great customer service and they have been willing to handle all issues with my shoes (e.g., repairs) - even the shoes that I didn't buy through them. I've been a customer since they opened.

I order through LeatherSoul, Tom and Will are great to deal with.

Thank you, gents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads