• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great part , well one of the many great parts about the Galway is that last selection totally changes the boot. I wear my 82 with leather soles as more of a dress boot. The 64 with veldt is a beast of a field boot. I have zug on the brain as of late. DDD, you could sell of what you have and start a Galway on rotation.

That's probably true, however I'm such a sucker for various types of different boots. I'll probably just hold onto them for a while just in case. Heck I just ordered my first boot from Viberg.

Good luck with your zug quest. I think I would have gone this route instead of the one from Skoak if I knew I could get one for sure.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Absolutely.

Do keep in mind that you can get the Galway in a couple of different configurations in regards to either leather and Lasts. 64 being a bit more hard work like and 82 a bit more dressy, but either will be at home with Jeans or casual work wear.

Thanks, ddd. I do want it a little on the sleeker side so I was going to go with the 82.

The Galway is intended to be a country or field boot, and as such it is inherently less formal than a balmoral boot, or most oxford, blucher or other non boots. The idea of "dress" (semi-formal boot) for town wear is basically very old school at best, and probably more anachronistic or costumey in our modern era. ( I expect many others to disagree and to take umbrage with my statement here.)

Unless you have the Galway made in dark oak or some other smooth calf, which does dress it up a bit--and even in this case--they will work in a variety of settings, particularly casual ones. I'm curious about which makeup of he Galway you have considered, tifosi.

It's funny you mention Dark Oak as dressing them up because that is the makeup I fell in lust with. Dark Oak with Walnut country calf on the 82. I guess this may be the dressier configuration, but it is still an open laced boot so I would think it would be inherently (more)casual. Granted I'm not talking jeans and a Tshirt here...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of the Westminsters:

orig.jpg

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ddd. I do want it a little on the sleeker side so I was going to go with the 82.
It's funny you mention Dark Oak as dressing them up because that is the makeup I fell in lust with. Dark Oak with Walnut country calf on the 82. I guess this may be the dressier configuration, but it is still an open laced boot so I would think it would be inherently (more)casual. Granted I'm not talking jeans and a Tshirt here...

These are the ones I fell for first. When purchasing mine, the only RTW available were from Axels. So I actually purchased mine in a D width without doing much investigating about the various widths and so forth. Axels sells the Galway in a D width specifically because they are even sleeker. You might want to check them out. They currently have some on hand in various sizes by the way.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the difference between a D-width and E-width shoe/boot on the 82 last? I have a balmoral shoe in size UK9D on the 82 last that is the most snug of my EGs -- noticeably narrower than shoes in that size on the 888 last. It still feels tight when I first put it on in the morning. but opens up during the day. I also have a lace-up boot in size UK9E on the 202 last that is wearable but a little more room in the forefoot than I would like. Am I better off in UK9D or UK9E for the Galway in the 82 last? I'm leaning toward the latter because I would be wearing thicker socks with the boot, and the boot can be laced tighter than a shoe.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the C&J Cordovan Lindrick for RL. C&J makes an extremely well constructed boot and it's definitely in a different league than Alden. Although the shell is dryer, the shaft of the boot is taller, the last is more attractive in my book, and it looks and feels like it's just in a different league. 

However the Galway was something that I wanted ever since I first saw it. It seemed like something I wanted to aspire to. The Galway is Iconic. Whether one boot is worth two others you want will ultimately be determined by your needs (needing one or two boots) and your desires to own this vs something else.

Bottom Line: Yes the Galway is more than worth any other two boots that Crockett and Jones makes.

Thanks for that reply, ddd. How about functionality? I wear most of my boots to work in a business casual setting with mostly wool trousers and sometimes chinos. I wear all my boots with denim. The Galway can pull off this double duty, right? Basically I need to be able to wear them casually or it isn't worth the investment to me. Any other Galway owners want to weigh in?

I currently have two Galways on the 82, UK9E.

First is dark oak/mink suede on double leather (HAF)
Second is bronze antique/black country calf on Dainite.

Either can be dressed up or down. As I type I am wearing the dark oak pair with denim.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E width seems to be stock for most make ups on the 82. Leffot etc account for this on their make ups.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the difference between a D-width and E-width shoe/boot on the 82 last? I have a balmoral shoe in size UK9D on the 82 last that is the most snug of my EGs -- noticeably narrower than shoes in that size on the 888 last. It still feels tight when I first put it on in the morning. but opens up during the day. I also have a lace-up boot in size UK9E on the 202 last that is wearable but a little more room in the forefoot than I would like. Am I better off in UK9D or UK9E for the Galway in the 82 last? I'm leaning toward the latter because I would be wearing thicker socks with the boot, and the boot can be laced tighter than a shoe.

I think you already have your answer. If you plan on wearing thicker socks you'll definitely need the extra space and you should go with the E width. I have a D width on my Galways in the 82 Last and it is snug, so I wear thinner socks.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear D and E widths more or less interchangeably on numerous EG lasts (UK9) - with one exception: 82 last (I need an E width as D is too tight). In my experience, an 82 lasted shoe or boot in D width fits significantly narrower than a shoe or boot in D width on, say, the 888 or 202.

I have an 82 lasted bal that is crazy snug - it works because I had it stretched (I only bought them because they were a steal).

Axels sells its Galways on the 82 and only in D width. They are too tight for me - and I have a medium to slightly narrow foot.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics