• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gather EG isn't really big on cordovan in general -only offered on a few models. I have a handful of cordovan shoes but haven't yet added a Cordovan boot. A few different ones are calling to me right now, though.
They have a few. I did happen to get a pair of Cordovan Sandringhams. So which Cordovan boots are calling Roger?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Carmina 80092 in all cognac shell or cognac shell with suede shaft. And a butt-kicking pair of Buday.
Great choices. I recently received my first and only pair so far of Carmina Cordovan boots in Cognac Cordovan and I was really happy with my Jumpers. I've seen the shell and suede postings from unipair and those are simply amazing. I also wish to see some more offerings from Buday as well.

Good luck with your choice, or shall I say choices.

Cheers,

Dan

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers my friend. Of course there's also a gorgeous pair of EG captoe oxfords in slate at my local Brooks Brothers - but their prices are wack. As ever, more choices than dollars.
smile.gif

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers my friend. Of course there's also a gorgeous pair of EG captoe oxfords in slate at my local Brooks Brothers - but their prices are wack. As ever, more choices than dollars.
smile.gif

You can say that again. I think I add about 3 more shoes or boots to my list every time I purchase another one. LOL

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Is it so terribly wrong to order your third pair of Galways even though you have yet to receive your second pair? Heck I've even contemplated a fourth pair.

The funny thing is that they don't even come in Cordovan. Most of my other boots are in Cordovan.

+1!! Working on my first pair, now, and I have a feeling it will be downhill from there. Looks like my boot budget is going to start going half as far as it used to.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1!! Working on my first pair, now, and I have a feeling it will be downhill from there. Looks like my boot budget is going to start going half as far as it used to.
I'd rather have one fabulous boot that I really want than two or more which aren't as nice as the one I really want.

However in this case I guess I'd rather have 3 than 6 more.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I'd rather have one fabulous boot that I really want than two or more which aren't as nice as the one I really want.

However in this case I guess I'd rather have 3 than 6 more.

I agree with this. I do love all of my Alden shell boots, though. These Galways are just calling out to me.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. I do love all of my Alden shell boots, though. These Galways are just calling out to me.
I pretty much started with a couple of Alden Shells myself, but after that all h*ll broke loose. Crockett and Jones Shell, Rider Shell, Alfred Sargent Shell, Carmina Shell, and a St Crispins Shell boot. However the Galway was something I had always wanted, and I got that fairly soon after just a couple of boots.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I pretty much started with a couple of Alden Shells myself, but after that all h*ll broke loose. Crockett and Jones Shell, Rider Shell, Alfred Sargent Shell, Carmina Shell, and a St Crispins Shell boot. However the Galway was something I had always wanted, and I got that fairly soon after just a couple of boots.

That's where I'm at. I need (want) a brown boot. I'd prefer shell, but not happening with Alden. I was thinking of going with one of the C&J shell models. The Harlech or the Skye2. Then I started thinking about the Galway. I could get both C&J models for the Galway cost of admission, basically. Goes the Galway = (2) shell C&J boots?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's where I'm at. I need (want) a brown boot. I'd prefer shell, but not happening with Alden. I was thinking of going with one of the C&J shell models. The Harlech or the Skye2. Then I started thinking about the Galway. I could get both C&J models for the Galway cost of admission, basically. Goes the Galway = (2) shell C&J boots?

I have the C&J Cordovan Lindrick for RL. C&J makes an extremely well constructed boot and it's definitely in a different league than Alden. Although the shell is dryer, the shaft of the boot is taller, the last is more attractive in my book, and it looks and feels like it's just in a different league.

However the Galway was something that I wanted ever since I first saw it. It seemed like something I wanted to aspire to. The Galway is Iconic. Whether one boot is worth two others you want will ultimately be determined by your needs (needing one or two boots) and your desires to own this vs something else.

Bottom Line: Yes the Galway is more than worth any other two boots that Crockett and Jones makes.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I have the C&J Cordovan Lindrick for RL. C&J makes an extremely well constructed boot and it's definitely in a different league than Alden. Although the shell is dryer, the shaft of the boot is taller, the last is more attractive in my book, and it looks and feels like it's just in a different league. 

However the Galway was something that I wanted ever since I first saw it. It seemed like something I wanted to aspire to. The Galway is Iconic. Whether one boot is worth two others you want will ultimately be determined by your needs (needing one or two boots) and your desires to own this vs something else.

Bottom Line: Yes the Galway is more than worth any other two boots that Crockett and Jones makes.

Thanks for that reply, ddd. How about functionality? I wear most of my boots to work in a business casual setting with mostly wool trousers and sometimes chinos. I wear all my boots with denim. The Galway can pull off this double duty, right? Basically I need to be able to wear them casually or it isn't worth the investment to me. Any other Galway owners want to weigh in?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great part , well one of the many great parts about the Galway is that last selection totally changes the boot. I wear my 82 with leather soles as more of a dress boot. The 64 with veldt is a beast of a field boot. I have zug on the brain as of late. DDD, you could sell of what you have and start a Galway on rotation.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that reply, ddd. How about functionality? I wear most of my boots to work in a business casual setting with mostly wool trousers and sometimes chinos. I wear all my boots with denim. The Galway can pull off this double duty, right? Basically I need to be able to wear them casually or it isn't worth the investment to me. Any other Galway owners want to weigh in?

Absolutely.

Do keep in mind that you can get the Galway in a couple of different configurations in regards to either leather and Lasts. 64 being a bit more hard work like and 82 a bit more dressy, but either will be at home with Jeans or casual work wear.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Galway is intended to be a country or field boot, and as such it is inherently less formal than a balmoral boot, or most oxford, blucher or other non boots. The idea of "dress" (semi-formal boot) for town wear is basically very old school at best, and probably more anachronistic or costumey in our modern era. ( I expect many others to disagree and to take umbrage with my statement here.)

Unless you have the Galway made in dark oak or some other smooth calf, which does dress it up a bit--and even in this case--they will work in a variety of settings, particularly casual ones. I'm curious about which makeup of he Galway you have considered, tifosi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads