• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drinking before class in college/grad school

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Have you ever had a drink or two just before a class? I ask because today for lunch (I just got back and feel fine/am not drunk) I went to a bar with some people and we all had drinks. One guy had something around a shot and 2-3 beers all in a 45 min period. I have to assume he is pretty tipsy right now. So have any of you gone to class tipsy or drunk? What were the results? Any good stories?
My best ever semester of undergrad was my last -- three days a week I did one hardcore engineering class at 8:00am, then one required elective at 11:00am. Got out, went to the nicer of the two local Irish bars (which was the Prof. hangout), had a freshly made corned beef reuben and a Jamie's and water while sitting at the bar and doing reading for the two remaining electives at 1:00pm and 3:00pm. Occasionally had two Jamie's, or perhaps I sat with a snifter of Jamie 18 for a while. Coffee to go, then off the my Aesthetics at 1:00pm. I so totally owned that class. Awesome freaking semester. Sometimes I'd sit with my Profs, or Profs from other departments and shot the bull. So much fun. Can't say I was ever drunk when leaving though, maximum of two drinks in two hours.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
We have a pretty much zero tolerance and what pisses me off the most is, I'm the guy that insisted on the policy.
frown.gif

Wait, what what? Do I even know you anymore?

goodlife

Reaction score
When drinking before class, I have never been drunk to the point that anyone noticed. A few times in grad. school I have felt like I had pushed the limits. It doesn't help that we have very small classes, and I am one of the more prolific talkers even when sober. In London, I had a 1.75L of 100 proof Absolut that I got going through duty free, and I would often mix it with Red Bull or fresh squeezed OJ from the cafeteria for my 9 o'clock class.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Wait, what what? Do I even know you anymore?

Part of that whole "litigation avoidance" thing. I'm a stickler on it. It hurts.

goodlife

Reaction score
Part of that whole "litigation avoidance" thing. I'm a stickler on it. It hurts.

I think what we have here is a misunderstanding regarding zero tolerance

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
hell yeah especcially the boring classes. I had a history of rock and roll class i used to get destroyed before i went there. It was the worst effing class ever, I never knew i could hate rock and roll until i took this class a true waist of credit hours

I gotta say, of all the classes to go to drunk, one about rock and roll is probably the most appropriate.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course. Life is pain.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
I never knew i could hate rock and roll until i took this class a true waist of credit hours

+1 Credits better spent on remedial english

dl

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never done this, but my department is rather relaxed about these things. One of the students in my cohort has been having a beer or two before class, so I might give it a shot. I have a really difficult time speaking in class. Perhaps this would help.... or fail miserably.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Have you ever had a drink or two just before a class? I ask because today for lunch (I just got back and feel fine/am not drunk) I went to a bar with some people and we all had drinks. One guy had something around a shot and 2-3 beers all in a 45 min period. I have to assume he is pretty tipsy right now. So have any of you gone to class tipsy or drunk? What were the results? Any good stories?

I used to do this all the time in law school, after my first year. I was working 40+ hours a week and taking 11-12 hours of classes. On Thursdays I'd drink a little before class and bring in a cup of a mixed drink and drink during class and then go out after class.

Eventually I grew bolder and began to bring in cans of beer with a coozie. A professor teased me about it once in private (I didn't even know he knew), but that's it. I did it once or twice during my MBA program but don't do it anymore.

What's the harm? You're paying to be there and as long as youre not an alcoholic or a loud drunk, no harm done.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

What's the harm? You're paying to be there and as long as youre not an alcoholic or a loud drunk, no harm done.

If you're called upon and slurred your words, you might become a distraction to the class. I don't know about you, but Penoyer v. Neff is hard enough without being **** faced.

migo

Reaction score
went to the pub once before class...not the best idea right before an evening class...when the prof's reviewing orbital mechanics for the people that didn't take a course in it, the beer tends to augment that sleepy feeling...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
If you're called upon and slurred your words, you might become a distraction to the class. I don't know about you, but Penoyer v. Neff is hard enough without being **** faced.

This was one area I had an advantage in. Because I have a moderate stutter, teachers would never call on me, even though I raised my hand probably an average amount.

bkk

Reaction score
Senior year, I had a design class in the fall that would sometimes make up a session at 5:30PM on Friday. A friend and I would do the following:

1. Go to the local spirits store and indulge in their Friday afternoon beer tasting.
2. Quickly drive down the street to a bar which had all 32oz drafts for $2.
3. Buy two Guinesses and proceed to chug them as quickly as possible
4. Briskly walk to class and sit there for an hour before going back down to the bars.

premo

Reaction score
In highschool, all the time. University? **** that, I pay way too much for that **** to just throw it away. There is a time for foolishness, there is a time for being serious. Class is time to be serious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads