• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drinking before class in college/grad school

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had a drink or two just before a class? I ask because today for lunch (I just got back and feel fine/am not drunk) I went to a bar with some people and we all had drinks. One guy had something around a shot and 2-3 beers all in a 45 min period. I have to assume he is pretty tipsy right now. So have any of you gone to class tipsy or drunk? What were the results? Any good stories?

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
hell yeah especcially the boring classes. I had a history of rock and roll class i used to get destroyed before i went there. It was the worst effing class ever, I never knew i could hate rock and roll until i took this class a true waist of credit hours

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a few Hefeweizen and/or Gin Tonics for lunch are the prerequesit to go to most of the classes one should attend when doing business studied.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious about this because I've never gone to class drunk. But I'm sure someone has a funny story about being called on while drunk. I'm anxious to hear...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been there done that........owh wait, still doing that at times
smile.gif

Worse is however is going straight from the bars to the first class of the day.... Done that twice, still dont know why cause you sure as h@ll cant remember a word they say... A nice practical yoke a friend did on me was to hold a lighter in front of my face, on asking why he did that the reply was: "well, I smell a lot of alcohol and I wondered if its enough to ignite.. If it does dont worry, you probably dont feel a thing right know"

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, frequently we had group meetings in the pub in between classes. There is a difference between a couple of beers over lunch and going to class drunk.

I do remember taking a public speaking course in undergrad where a group of us went to the bar before having to give speeches. One girl kept downing shots and when it was her turn to speak she could barely get a sentence out and all those were slurred.

K

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You betcha. Going back to high school. We used to actually have a beer or three with one of our afternoon teachers in our last year of high school. And all the time in undergrad. Even brought cycling bottles filled with booze to class, and sipped them during an exam once. Grad school, not so much. No energy between work, school, and life.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conne, I was hoping you would respond to this thread.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: yes, many times. Law school: only once, and that was only because another professor (retired NY Court of Appeals judge) took us out for drinks.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I'm so glad I wasn't called on.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been doing it since high school. When I used to live with some crazy roommates, our rule was: If you drink on a school night,anything unfinished must be drunk in the morning.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me sad that I missed the days that three martini lunches were acceptable at work. We have a pretty much zero tolerance and what pisses me off the most is, I'm the guy that insisted on the policy.
frown.gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Reading this thread makes me sad that I missed the days that three martini lunches were acceptable at work. We have a pretty much zero tolerance and what pisses me off the most is, I'm the guy that insisted on the policy.
frown.gif

Physician, heal thyself ...
laugh.gif

As to the OP, before class, never. Before an exam, at least once ...

Mauby

Reaction score
In grad school I'd occasionally drink red wine in class. Why? I dunno, it would relax me and make the boring lectures go a little more smoother.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A drink or two before class: sure, lots of times. If you are of drinking age, then there is nothing wrong with that. You ask almost as if you feel it is wrong.

Drunk or tipsy? Not for a class per se, but an all day lecture thing I had to sit through. At lunch most of us ran out and had a few beers so we could make it though the day.

Other than that, I've also drank in class in grad school, as did everyone else. Good class.

And I've certainly had a fair share of drinks (meaning got drunk) with a number of professors, basically just sitting down and finishing a few pitchers with them.

These are very normal and healthy behaviors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads