• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream City To Live In

TheJared

Reaction score
I had a dream that I lived on Budapest once.

I think Switzerland would be an amazing place to live.

Lake Como or Paris or some town on the Chilean coast.

I've traveled extensively around the world, and you guys chose my favorite areas!
#1 Interlaken, Switzerland -- proximity to the most beautiful alps and it has decently priced food for Switzerland (the resort towns nearby are expensive)
#2 Como, Italy -- small, but located on my favorite lake in the world and has great food/transportation nearby via Milan and Bergamo
#3 Budapest, Hungary -- It's not as scenic as the above 2, but I <3 its famous baths, ice skating near the castle, food, beautiful women, low prices, etc.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Falling back in love with the freedom that Seoul affords, the low-hassle life, the 24 hour conveniences, and the laid back, fairly honest people. I don't know if it will be like this forever but it's good now and was the same back a decade ago for ,e. Wish I had an 8-figure bank account to really kind of live atop the bustle and then come down when I feel like it.

sask boot

Reaction score
I wouldnt describe seoul as hassle free as a foreigner and locals arent always laid back(compared to North Americans or Aussies) but I understand the attractive chaos that seoul offers. I also wish I lived in the high rises of hannam or apkujeong sometimes. There is a huge difference between being middle class and upper class due to the outrageous prices on luxury items. TOJ is the best value around!!!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alberta, eastern timor, dagestan.

As a resident of Edmonton, I condone the level of snark in this comment. :D

Lately I've been trying to grapple with this. I'm young, no commitments, and in a mobile profession - so sometimes I think I should just randomly go to another place for a few years. I used to think London was the place, but after many visits with family living there, the commute is too much of a f'in pain - and the houses there frankly suck compared to what we have in Canada. I love visiting every few months - but I'm not sure I could handle living there.

Any suggestions of places that:
1) Have abundant jobs for CPA's and good wages
2) A reasonable commute time (40 minutes or less - or I go apeshit in traffic)
3) Nice weather - preferably no snow, and not crazy humid.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lately I've been trying to grapple with this. I'm young, no commitments, and in a mobile profession - so sometimes I think I should just randomly go to another place for a few years.

Every 'dream city' topic does indeed need to specify 'for whom;' seems like even Monocle (the magazine that fanatically addresses the topic almost every month) fails to recognize this point. For us, I'd say the typical SF-er is 22-35, educated, single (slightly nerdy), and with an appreciation for history. A dream city for those guys is entirely different from a 30+ married/LTR dude, or a -22 undergrad student. Global cities with an interesting historical setting, desirable and plentiful females, communal/mingling areas (plazas, squares, walking streets), and proximity to other such cities should appeal much more to the SFer, and I'd put Paris and other Continental cities at the top of that list. I hesitate to put NYC or London there since they're too familiar and honestly they can be quite bleak if you're single and don't have connections. Tokyo or other Asian cities, though great, really only work if you speak the language.

If however you've secured a mate already, that suddenly opens up other cities where the social life may not be that great but there are other attractions like outdoors, weather, scenery, or an exotic local culture- Sydney, Seattle, Seoul, Rio, Singapore, Zurich, etc, and a host of smaller cities and towns.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's cray, my wife is from Fukuoka and my in laws live there, but I've never been, don't know if I'll go anytime soon. I hear really good things, but along the lines of of 'the ramen is so good!' 'they have Korean food there!' etc - in reality though, it's probably an awesome city to live in, as you get a bunch of cosmopolitan/urban Japanese lifestyle without having to pay inflated central Tokyo prices, and Fukuoka is probably a better harbor/seaside town than Tokyo could ever dream of. Nagoya and Fukuoka, those are probably the big winners in Japan.

Also, there seemed to be so many more young people in Fukuoka than in Tokyo. The latter seems like a Japanese version of Children of Men.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the problem with Australia is that it's so far away from everything else, if you're a traveler.
Asia outside of Japan and maybe Seoul sounds exotic and exciting, but can actually be quite miserable for people (weather, traffic, smog and state of development would be the most common complaints)

Interestingly, despite what you mentioned, Australians are some of the most well travelled people.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Falling back in love with the freedom that Seoul affords, the low-hassle life, the 24 hour conveniences, and the laid back, fairly honest people. I don't know if it will be like this forever but it's good now and was the same back a decade ago for ,e. Wish I had an 8-figure bank account to really kind of live atop the bustle and then come down when I feel like it.

Drew - what brought you to Sydney initially and what were you doing here? Were you just a student? I think Sydney is a much more interesting place than you give it credit for, if you've never been here as an Adult but I can understand where you are coming when you say all you do here is Eat, Drink, F, etc. Out of curiosity, what do you do outside of these things in cities like Tokyo or Seoul?

IChen

Reaction score
1. Lake Como, Italy: Just too beautiful and I could eat pasta nonstop in Italy for cheaper prices
crackup[1].gif

2. Nagoya: Cheaper than Tokyo and a family friend lives there.

3. Hong Kong: I love the place and great food!

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed this in my travels - why is this?

Australians probably don't value material possessions as much and prefer the experiential benefits of travel etc.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interestingly, despite what you mentioned, Australians are some of the most well travelled people.

true enough, and i believe the answer is that Australians make the time. taking holidays is a cultural norm, an expectation, and to some extent a right. one of my sister sites at work is in Sydney (right on the harbor - lucky *****) and we know that we need to plan around our colleagues' availability and the long holidays that they take. my counterpart actually took a month off last year - i think they're allowed to roll over vacation days from year to year and take them all at once (i think this is Aussie labor law, but i could be wrong)

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah that's what i do. i have like 7 weeks of annual paid leave accrued. its awesome! i love australia. best cuntry ever!

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my job gives time of in lieu for business travel (of which ive done a lot) so i also have accrued about 8 weeks annual leave. In 18 months i will be eligible for 3 months long service leave - my wife is pushing for a summer in France

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeternum