• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disliking narrow lapels

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
At what width are lapels classic and not subject to the changing preferences invoked by fashion? I definitely find super-skinny lapels a total fashion trend. They'll be gone as quickly as they arrived. To invest in suits with narrow lapels would then be very short-sighted and only result in wasted money after a few years.

However, I look at some of my older suits, which have lower notch stances, and I definitely find myself preferring higher stances. How much do you think that this is a function of me being influenced by fashion vs. genuine preference that will resist fashion whims?

Halfway across your chest is a safe bet. That is the "classic" width. But if you're really ignoring fashion, just decide what you like/looks good on you and get that.

The "classic" notch height is at your collarbone. The super high notch is a fad. It's not bad to like it, but it will go out of fashion, same as an extreme lapel.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I liked narrow lapels before the recent trend, will like them after.

+1. I always have and always will like the narrow 60s aesthetic.

Also, lapels shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum. All the other components (shirt collar, tie width, flap size, trouser width) should work together in harmony. You can't just change one element.

Might we be in a period where multiple trends can co-exist? I don't see the MadMen look going away that quickly. It's hard enough to get men to buy new stuff, let alone suits. I don't see them ditching their 2010 purchase for the next trend so soon. Maybe they'll just add a wide lapel TF style suit to their collection.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
+1. I always have and always will like the narrow 60s aesthetic.

Also, lapels shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum. All the other components (shirt collar, tie width, flap size, trouser width) should work together in harmony. You can't just change one element.

Might we be in a period where multiple trends can co-exist? I don't see the MadMen look going away that quickly. It's hard enough to get men to buy new stuff, let alone suits. I don't see them ditching their 2010 purchase for the next trend so soon. Maybe they'll just add a wide lapel TF style suit to their collection.

I like that idea, Parker. I hope it is true. Some Tom Ford swagger for Friday night, some Mad Men for Saturday evening, something more middle-of-the-road for the weekdays. It's pretty much my approach, where waisted coats and skinny lapels exist next to conservative suits with moderate lapels.

The funny thing about the forum's obssession with "classic" lapel width is that it overlooks all the other ways a coat/suit can look dated. The high-end RTW industry isn't in the business of providing us with "timeless" style.

EdenResident

Reaction score
I'll stick with "half way across the chest" here as well. I'm a skinny guy but I hate whimsy tiny lapels. This is just gross.
images_eiec_17_17934_17934_BR6683_tif_c59d0bfb9d18191c.jpg
Brooks-Brothers-Black-Fleece-Melange-Wool-Classic-Suit.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it as a style. Obviously it's not the perfect proportion, especially if you're wider than a 40, but if you're a skinny guy, I think it can look pretty cool. So did these guys, apparently:

McQueen.jpg

muhammad-ali-lg-72280411.jpg
avengers-waist-1.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you all trying to get suits that conform to one aesthetic? Seems boring to me. I have wide and narrow lapels, high and low gorges. Unless you're trying to
foo.gif
everything, why can't you just wear all of them?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Are you all trying to get suits that conform to one aesthetic? Seems boring to me. I have wide and narrow lapels, high and low gorges. Unless you're trying to
foo.gif
everything, why can't you just wear all of them?

You may not like everything and/or that requires more items and more $$$.

BlackBrumel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I'm beginning to dislike narrow lapels. I own a few jackets/suits with narrow lapels and for the past few months, I have been wanting to wear them less and less. With the market saturation of narrow lapels, I think it's heyday is over, at least for another 20 years.

Who's with me?

Having a wider face, narrow lapels never worked for me. Wider lapels work as a better frame. To match, I wear wider shirt collars, not to mention and ties w/ at least 3,5".

cheers

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
damn it i just bought my first and only narrow lapel slim fitting suit i guess i need to wear it while i can before the style nazi's stop me
I'm no fashion guru and I definitely scour the SF forum for advice and tips...but when I think about it, I think in general, most people aren't going to notice whether your lapel is narrow or wide...just my thought at least. Before coming onto SF, I never even bothered to look at someone's lapels (peak or notch, wide or narrow).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads