• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disliking narrow lapels

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For pricks like me, this is the best part of the job: being proven right.

Jay

Reaction score
I match my lapels with the width of my ties, which are about 3 inches.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Just get suits that have lapels that aren't narrow or wide and you will never have a problem.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just have one lapel narrow and one wide, then you'll never be in or out of fashion and all your friends will think you are soooo coooool (man)...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most of my suits have pretty narrow lapels, which I used to love. I feel like now that I have "grown up" I don't like them for everyday wear. Depends on the look I am going for. I am currently in the process of replacing most of my suits with bespoke with more traditional lapels. My tailor is making them 3 5/8". I think about a one inch narrower tie width is good for these lapels, anything more is asking for trouble. I never thought that wide ties with narrow lapels looked acceptable.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the narrow lapels when I am in the mood for that look. Would I stock my closet with narrow lapel items? No. But having a few is fine with me for a change. I also like big ass lapels. I believe in a little variety and I just don't see the benefit in closing my mind to one thing entirely.

Mike

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I like the narrow lapels when I am in the mood for that look. Would I stock my closet with narrow lapel items? No. But having a few is fine with me for a change. I also like big ass lapels. I believe in a little variety and I just don't see the benefit in closing my mind to one thing entirely.

Mike

That's a practical attitude!

Anyway, regarding those who are making recommendations that I don't buy suits with narrow lapels, I wasn't asking about what to buy... I'm just interested in if you think narrow lapels are going out of style, etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as fashion is concerned I think they are going out a bit. Fashion seems to be heading in the more 70's Tom Ford direction, albeit slowly.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Most of my suits have pretty narrow lapels, which I used to love. I feel like now that I have "grown up" I don't like them for everyday wear. Depends on the look I am going for. I am currently in the process of replacing most of my suits with bespoke with more traditional lapels. My tailor is making them 3 5/8". I think about a one inch narrower tie width is good for these lapels, anything more is asking for trouble. I never thought that wide ties with narrow lapels looked acceptable.

Why not go with 4" if you are getting bespoke? I would definitely get 4" if I was using a tailor,I don't like narrow lapels but in RTW,it is hard to find anything more than 3.5"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Why not go with 4" if you are getting bespoke? I would definitely get 4" if I was using a tailor,I don't like narrow lapels but in RTW,it is hard to find anything more than 3.5"

Yeah, I thought about it, however I don't like ties that are too fat to balance the lapels so I thought just over 3.5" allowed for a bit more variation in tie widths. Also, I like very soft jackets with some shirring in the shoulders, 4" to my eye would be too strong for the lack of structure in the sillhoutte.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
That's a practical attitude!

Anyway, regarding those who are making recommendations that I don't buy suits with narrow lapels, I wasn't asking about what to buy... I'm just interested in if you think narrow lapels are going out of style, etc.

Honestly? Not until the series conclusion of Mad Men. People love the show, they see that narrow lapeled mid-60s look being featured and they identify with it. You also have Thom Browne, basically making nothing but narrow lapelled items. I don't see him going away, although some have declared his style dead already. A nice lucrative contract with BB, featuring his designs......etc.

TF and RL are trying to usher in a '70s revival with large lapels, and I am down with that as I have plenty o' big lapel items.

But, I don't think skinny lapels are going to be dead in 6 months. I think you have years before they are totally passe' again. Hell, I just bought a BBBF DB, and not only are the lapels skinny, they are notched. Can't wait for the hate that gets in WAYWRN (if the ******* thing ever shows up, that is).
lol8[1].gif

Mike

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Honestly? Not until the series conclusion of Mad Men. People love the show, they see that narrow lapeled mid-60s look being featured and they identify with it. You also have Thom Browne, basically making nothing but narrow lapelled items. I don't see him going away, although some have declared his style dead already. A nice lucrative contract with BB, featuring his designs......etc.

TF and RL are trying to usher in a '70s revival with large lapels, and I am down with that as I have plenty o' big lapel items.

But, I don't think skinny lapels are going to be dead in 6 months. I think you have years before they are totally passe' again. Hell, I just bought a BBBF DB, and not only are the lapels skinny, they are notched. Can't wait for the hate that gets in WAYWRN (if the ******* thing ever shows up, that is).
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Yeah, owning many narrow lapelled suits after that TV show came out is rather annoying. I'm constantly getting strangers calling me Don Draper or asking me if I came from a Mad Men party. It in itself it is not a terrible thing, but it gets old and people thinking I am copying a television show and one that I don't even watch is frustrating no matter how much you tell yourself that you shouldn't care what people think.

But yeah, Browne, and TV definitely makes sense that it will stay around.

Johnny24

Reaction score
I think it depends on how narrow we are talking.....under 2.75-3 inches and it can look pretty affected. The ones that kill me are the J.Crew lapel in their narrow jackets, those jackets might as well not even have a lapel, they look like a nehru jacket, wilting from the inside out.

I think Mad Men is partly to blame for the obsession with the fashion crowd and it being taken too far vs. the use of the 2.75 inch lapel by those with "style". Like all tends it will pass eventually and end up the local MW's and K&G; on a timeline, they are hovering around mid 90's now in the more "upscale" locations so I would say, in about 5-10 years, they will be totally passe once they hit those racks.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
At what width are lapels classic and not subject to the changing preferences invoked by fashion? I definitely find super-skinny lapels a total fashion trend. They'll be gone as quickly as they arrived. To invest in suits with narrow lapels would then be very short-sighted and only result in wasted money after a few years.

However, I look at some of my older suits, which have lower notch stances, and I definitely find myself preferring higher stances. How much do you think that this is a function of me being influenced by fashion vs. genuine preference that will resist fashion whims?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads