• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom suit help for beginner

camhabib

Reaction score
Instead of renting a tux or picking something off the rack for my upcoming wedding in ~6 months, I have been considering getting a suit made for the occasion, my first in many years. I have a fairly good idea of what I would want, both in terms of fabric and design, but have less of an idea of where to get it done. I’m not looking to break the bank, but I’d like something on the nicer end for sure. Budget is ~$3k, live in Boston but happy to travel to NYC or equivalent distance as necessary. Hoping to get some direction and guidance as it’s been some time since I’ve purchased any kind of formal attire. Much appreciated everyone!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
What level of custom do you want (or need)? Plenty of MTM shops would get you there, but bespoke is harder to find. I seem to recall that Wazin in NYC uses tailor(s) in Hong Kong to do all or most of the work, which gets you a significantly lower price and last I checked within your budget. On the other side, Suitsupply MTM is fairly affordable and quite decent. I wonder if Kent Wang's shop in NYC allows you to do a suit MTM in person rather than remotely over the internet.

camhabib

Reaction score
What level of custom do you want (or need)? Plenty of MTM shops would get you there, but bespoke is harder to find. I seem to recall that Wazin in NYC uses tailor(s) in Hong Kong to do all or most of the work, which gets you a significantly lower price and last I checked within your budget. On the other side, Suitsupply MTM is fairly affordable and quite decent. I wonder if Kent Wang's shop in NYC allows you to do a suit MTM in person rather than remotely over the internet.
Appreciate the reply! There's no particular level that's necessary, but the more bespoke I can get, the better IMO. I have a couple of Suitsupply garments, one of which I believe is MTM, and none of them really fit "quite right," which is why I was looking for some more suggestions. I'll look into some of the suggestions you mention, thanks so much.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
It does sound like your MTM suitsupply stuff is someone else's, otherwise you'd probably have remembered going through the process? Getting it made to you would fit better.

In any event, I understand your desire. Special suit for a wedding. Just keep in mind that MTM and especially bespoke are risky and take a long time.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I lived in Boston but I would suggest paying Drinkwaters (in Cambridge) and Ari Boston (in the financial district) a visit. Both have OTR and MTM options.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to look at The Armoury and NMWA in NYC. I don't know if NMWA is stocking much tailoring for you to try something on, but you might be able to line up an appointment if you head to the city.

I don't think you have enough time for bespoke in Boston - I think Steed and Redmayne come through a couple times a year, but 6 months probably is only at best sufficient for getting measured and first fitting at best. These options for bespoke also likely break your budget. Steed apparently does have some MTM options, however

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a redoubt of Ivy/Trad style which has long and deep MTM
experience, try The Andover Shop in Cambridge or Andover:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply! There's no particular level that's necessary, but the more bespoke I can get, the better IMO. I have a couple of Suitsupply garments, one of which I believe is MTM, and none of them really fit "quite right," which is why I was looking for some more suggestions. I'll look into some of the suggestions you mention, thanks so much.
Why dont they fit? What’s the issue?

This sounds like an exercise which may yield the same experience for you - overthinking, nitpicking, and eventually disappointment. As stated by others, The Armoury will get you what you need for the big day as long as you work with them and allow the experts to guide you.

natealmeida

Reaction score
If you have a couple of existing suits that you’re not happy with I would recommend taking them to Jack’s in Porter Square. He would also be able to help with any finishing touches required for whatever MTM maker you go with. I agree with the above that you probably don’t have time for bespoke without a lot of travel.

camhabib

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for your suggestions. I looked into the various options, and decided to give Suitsupply another try. I had indeed not gone through the “custom made” process previously and went for it this time. Quite a lot to choose from but if the fit comes out as they promised, I can’t see being disappointed. Chose the dark grey wool cashmere E.Thomas fabric, really excited to see it in person.

One question I had that I foolishly neglected to ask at the time - I ordered a contrasting color collar felt, burgundy. I assumed it would never show unless the collar was turned up but want to make sure as I just realized sometimes the felt comes to the edge of the collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads