• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom/MTM suits for not too much in NYC?

cowpoke

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some suits made in New York, preferably for no more than $1000 each. I realize that rules out the real bespoke makers. I'm just slightly oddly shaped -- 39" chest and ~31" waist with a sloped right shoulder -- such that off the rack options don't sit right on me, even with tailoring.

What do you folks recommend? I've had some good luck with Black Lapel, but I'd be curious what else is out there.

Edit: alternatively, are there RTW options for folks with a sloped shoulder?

Last edited:

smartie-pants

Reaction score
hi. i live in NYC and have extensively researched the M2M and bespoke options. I am a hard fit as well - very short and athletic build. Depending on how often you wear suits and your seriousness about quality and fit, you will need to up your budget. With your body type, no OTR or online M2M shop will provide you with the fit you're seeking.

if you're willing to spend $1600 - $1800, you will be find places that will make you a suit that will last you a lifetime.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some suits made in New York, preferably for no more than $1000 each. I realize that rules out the real bespoke makers. I'm just slightly oddly shaped -- 39" chest and ~31" waist with a sloped right shoulder -- such that off the rack options don't sit right on me, even with tailoring.

What do you folks recommend? I've had some good luck with Black Lapel, but I'd be curious what else is out there.

Edit: alternatively, are there RTW options for folks with a sloped shoulder?

I have a drop right and square shoulders and have found that Eidos fit me very well. The suits are a bit more than $1000, but they are a great value. Well made, great cloths, and really nice cuts. No Man Walks Alone (in NYC and online) is one shop that carries them.

For MTM at that price, Kent Wang has a pop up shop in NYC and you can also try Suit Supply's MTM program in that range. I'm sure there are others, but none that I have experience with.

toplel

Reaction score
I recently noticed I have a right shoulder that's more of a sloped down too, a result of breaking my collarbone when I was 12 (noticed 40 years later LOL).

I only found out when I started trying to dress better. A salesman in suitsupply said I had a posture problem, which offended me at the time. However I noticed the same issue (an unsightly divot where the sleeve starts on the right arm) on other suits, then had a really close look in the mirror & there it was. Some brands hide it much better then others for me.

Nice to know others have the same issue
smile.gif

Astaroth

Reaction score
A salesman in suitsupply said I had a posture problem, which offended me at the time

Please don't ever over hear a conversation between a cutter and their junior, either the tailors I frequent fit clothes for a large number of trolls or the nature of the business means the language focuses heavily on customers imperfections.

cowpoke

Reaction score
hi. i live in NYC and have extensively researched the M2M and bespoke options. I am a hard fit as well - very short and athletic build. Depending on how often you wear suits and your seriousness about quality and fit, you will need to up your budget. With your body type, no OTR or online M2M shop will provide you with the fit you're seeking.

if you're willing to spend $1600 - $1800, you will be find places that will make you a suit that will last you a lifetime.
To clarify, Black Lapel did a pretty good job for 700, but it's a half canvas and a tad too fashion suit for my tastes.

What do you recommend around $1600-1800, and what do you get for the money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads