• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CONTEST: Best 5 dress watches under $5000.

Who has the best list of dress watches under $5K

• mimo

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • DIJr

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • CHRK33

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Fred G. Unn (top 4 and 1 slightly over, ahem...)

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, this isn't an entirely serious entry to Fok's contest as I'm a complete watch noob. Since I probably don't know enough about watches to come up with 25-50 words I thought I would just post these 5 (which haven't been posted already) and let others chime in why they are good, ok, or awful choices, especially if they are awful. I'm looking to pick up something in the under $5K range too, so this has been a very helpful thread for me so far anyway. The Tangomat Datum is probably my current fave of the above.

1. Mühle-Glashütte Antaria Kleine Sekunde
42mm. Not sure of list price, but around $2,500 online.
http://www.muehle-glashuette.de/en/...al-timepieces/antaria/antaria-kleine-sekunde/

2. Eberhard & Co Extra-Fort Reserve de Marche
39mm. $3,612? (old list, might be higher now)
http://www.eberhard-co-watches.ch/?product=extra-fort-reserve-de-marche-41036-41136-1

3. IWC Portofino
40 mm. $4,500.
http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portofino/IW3565/

4. Zenith Captain Central Second
40mm. Maybe this is cheating since the suggested retail looks to be over $5K, but it can easily be found under $4K.
http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en...ntral-second/captain-central-second-5543.html

5. Oris Artelier Jumping Hour
40.5mm. $4,100 CHF ($4,580 USD) Just for something completely different, a jumping hour.
http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-artelier-jumping-hour/01-917-7702-4051-07-1-21-73fc

Again, feel free to educate me if any of these are terrible choices. There may be something completely obvious to most of you that I'm just unaware of as a watch noob. Thanks!

This one was the one I like the most. I don't like Cartier's, so the lists including them for me was no-no. Sorry.
biggrin.gif

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stowa are mostly represented at a lower price point, with stock ETA movements (at the higher level of supplied finishing, admittedly). Nice designs, sure, but most of the watches listed here are a step up.

And I say this as a proud Stowa owner.

Some great lists here gents. Surprised that the base Portofino scraped in under 5K. That is the winner for me, lay-down misère. As for the lists, they were all good, including the one from the "noob". (Clearly not a noob.)

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I'm curious to know why Stowa isn't represented? Are their watches not considered "dress" watches?

They are. I own a Marine Original, but frankly, at least for my list, it doesn't really compare to any of my other options. Don't get me wrong, I like Stowa, but if the budget is MSRP $5K, there is so much more you can get for your money IMO. And this is coming from the guy who offered a lot of stuff way under budget.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is wonderful that everyone has such different taste. I own a Stowa Marine Original -- not only was it well priced at around $1000, but in my personal opinion, it's the nicest of any of the watches we've looked at thus far. Only one watch (the Nomos Metro Datum Gangoreserve -- WOW!) appeals to me.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I love Stowa, and Cox's watch exactly (the Marine Original in white, Arabic numbers, on the mesh bracelet) is right on my wish list. But as he said, it's a lower price point, so even thought the MO would be an awesome dress watch in my opinion (and it's the same size as the Nomos Zurich), I figured I should hit five that wouldn't also enter the "best five under $1000 category" or similar. I like the Baumuster a lot too...and the Antea's a very pretty "proper" dress watch, a lot like the Nomos Tangomat and so cheap...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The Max Bill is under a grand for most models, even the mechanical ones, so again I kind of put it in another place. But totally agree, great value.

Harryd14

Reaction score

This one was the one I like the most. I don't like Cartier's, so the lists including them for me was no-no. Sorry. :D

I'm with you Bête on this one. I am not a fan of the Cartier watch. I am not a big fan of rectangular watches to begin with so there is some bias in my opinion but there are some watches like that that I do like more than others. The Cartier watch I do not really enjoy.

On another note - what are ppls opinions on Bell & Ross? I think they make beautiful aviator style watches and they are under the $5k price tag.

(Please excuse my ignorance, I am rather new to the watch game, so be gentle :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Bête on this one. I am not a fan of the Cartier watch. I am not a big fan of rectangular watches to begin with so there is some bias in my opinion but there are some watches like that that I do like more than others. The Cartier watch I do not really enjoy.

On another note - what are ppls opinions on Bell & Ross? I think they make beautiful aviator style watches and they are under the $5k price tag.

(Please excuse my ignorance, I am rather new to the watch game, so be gentle
smile.gif
I was also surprised to not see Bell&Ross, but these are not my lists, and I don't know anything about good watches, but they do look nice to my untrained eye.

If someone had made a list of pretty much anything apparel or accessories, however, that would have been a different story.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I think Bell and Ross, at least their common aviator instrument models, would not be considered dress watches by many die-hard watch enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads