• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. What is the sizing like? I’m undecided on medium or large. Would be a 42 in Lockie and Colhays (with Colhays being on tighter side). Thanks.

I was able to try it on in the KaDeWe store here in Berlin before ordering it at the official JoE website. It definitely runs small: the M size I bought measures 51cm pit to pit.

Last edited:

GodAtum

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a nice cashmere zip neck for work. Will be wearing it 5 days a week when it's cold. Which is the best manufacturer?
  • William Lockie 2 ply £295
  • Johnstons of Elgin 2 ply £550
  • Bagg 3 ply £895
Obviously for these prices it will be an heirloom.

Xyol

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a nice cashmere zip neck for work. Will be wearing it 5 days a week when it's cold. Which is the best manufacturer?
  • Bagg 3 ply £895
If you are considering all three, I would try my luck with Lockie and if it fits you well, get two - you will still land close to Johnstons in price. Reason being that if you want it (them) to be an heirloom, I would try to alternate and give your sweaters time to rest between wears. Also more colours that way. ;)

msimon

Reaction score
  • Bagg 3 ply £895
Nothing in clothing is heirloom, especially cashmere if it's worn often. I've had more robust wools last me no more then a year and the replacement piece 3-4years, it's a roll of a dice.

happydayz1

Reaction score
I have a Lockie zip neck and have been happy with it. For a work piece I wouldn’t be inclined to pay double for the same ply with JoE. Also a 5 ply will be a drastically different piece due to the amount of cashmere and therefore more limited for day to day office wear.

GodAtum

Reaction score

Xyol

Reaction score
Frustratingly they only sell down to a 40" chest https://www.ahume.co.uk/william-lockie-cashmere-2-ply-zip-neck-sweater-p57

The other go down to a 38" which is my size.
It may be worth to shoot them a message - they may be able to order a size 38 for you. No guarantees though since the quarter zip is not in the stock program, I believe.

For JoE, the chest size may vary between their models so I would reach out to their customer service as well to get their measurements for your model.

Last edited:

GodAtum

Reaction score
On the same topic, do zip necks seem more casual to you then v necks? I’ve been thinking v necks look odd without a tie. And since my workplace is business casual, a zip neck would go nicely with chinos and John Lobb chukkas.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the same topic, do zip necks seem more casual to you then v necks? I’ve been thinking v necks look odd without a tie. And since my workplace is business casual, a zip neck would go nicely with chinos and John Lobb chukkas.

I don't like zippers, I would choose a button collar instead.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfowl