• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good, they have a bad rep and some of the horror stories I heard about the old RRS were insane.

This is my second full size but I didn't have any issues with my 2011 sport either. I think they've been pretty solid for a few years now.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe its just the diesels then, I heard about a 30k repair bill for a new gearbox etc., I believe there was talk about scrapping the car because of it.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TC.........which of yours gives better mileage? The RR or the S-Class?

It's a tie at about 12 mpg. If the Benz did more highway miles I'm sure that number would improve but it rarely leaves the city. Also while the engine cutoff (in both cars) doesn't really bother me it's impractical when the weather is warm and humid because the AC performance is terrible when the engine is cut off.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking delivery of a new car in Manhattan is quite a bit different than TX....

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

have you read the guy's articles on Jalopnik's about owning a Ferrari for a year? Seems like a total pain **********, even when there's no actual problems with the car.

Doesn't matter; driving a Ferrari.

My dream is to DD a 458.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My dream is to DD a 458.

Matters if you don't live in la-la land. Otherwise get the Ferrari and move to Dubai, you'll fit right in.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Funny, Dubai is abou 4 hours drive from here, and my friend just picked up a 458. Maybe it takes him a little less now...

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have you read the guy's articles on Jalopnik's about owning a Ferrari for a year? Seems like a total pain **********, even when there's no actual problems with the car.

This was my experience. A few thoughts:

- You never want to park it in a public palce and leave it out of sight. I have come out of a restaurant/store to find people literally sitting on the car posing for photos. So this means you have to leave it in front where the valets can keep an eye on it. Usually with a good tip the valet will cooperate. Sometimes they just won't. After a a few times of going through this you realize it's just not worth the headaches and don't take the car to dinner or shopping etc.

- Routine maintenance is a pain **********. I found a good indy for oil changes and repairs, and while they do a great job at a fair price, it's not a place you want to leave the car for any extended period so you're kind of on call to rush over there as soon as the car is ready. And while they attempt to clean the car, it always comes back kinda dirty and with swirl marks that need to be polished out.

- The Ferrari dealership doesn't do inspections so you're relegated to finding some service station you can trust that won't damage the car in the process. Something always goes wrong--from scratched engine bonnet to ink-pen marks on the leather. Minor annoyance like putting the sticker on all wonky--which cannot be corrected once it's on.

- New tires? Well, unless you want to pay like $3k from the dealer, you're going to have the car up on a lift at NTB or Discount Tire with a crowd of people watching. I paid these guys a visit in advance to grease them and explain what I needed and what could go wrong. They were very cooperative and enthusiastic, and while they managed to avoid scratching the rims this time, they did crack one of the center caps by dropping it.

- And last, and the worst, I just couldn't ever find time to drive it. To the office when I don't have a business lunch or any meetings (rare), and to the health club on Saturday and Sunday mornings if the weather is nice and I don't have my 7 year-old with me. I averaged about 1200 miles/year in 7 years of ownership, and 5k of that was probably in the first 2 years. Taking into account the depreciation, annual maintenance, major 30k service, and few things that went wrong, the running cost per mile is nothing short of completely insane.

My dream is to DD a 458.

This is how I felt the first few years of ownership. Ahhh, memories. I like the 458 a lot too. If I got to a place where I had more time to drive it and cared so little about money and customer service that I used the dealership for every little issue, I may consider one. I don't see that happening in the near future.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Taking delivery of a new car in Manhattan is quite a bit different than TX....

Yes I'm sure! FWIW the pics I posted were taken before they had even taken the protective plastic off the interior. They did detail it and put it under a car-port for when I came back and picked it up. LOL What car is that?

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Audi Q7 yesterday. They drive it to a "POD" on the 5th floor of a tall building. They show you the features and walk you through the car, then drive you down a spiral ramp in the middle of the building. They have a slight blue hue, but haven't really checked it at night yet.

My dad had a 355 spider, but for all the reasons above swapped it for a 2014 911, because he didn't "care" and could drive it daily, get it serviced where he wanted with less focus on records and ultimate resale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads