• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- And last, and the worst, I just couldn't ever find time to drive it. To the office when I don't have a business lunch or any meetings (rare), and to the health club on Saturday and Sunday mornings if the weather is nice and I don't have my 7 year-old with me. I averaged about 1200 miles/year in 7 years of ownership, and 5k of that was probably in the first 2 years. Taking into account the depreciation, annual maintenance, major 30k service, and few things that went wrong, the running cost per mile is nothing short of completely insane.

Sounds like it's significantly more cost effective to rent one for the weekend any time you want one (and buy the "I really can afford my own Ferrari; it's just too big a pain ********** to own" t-shirt).

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In an ideal world, cost effectiveness wouldnt be a major consideration when deciding on a super car.

AKA gotta be a balla

Last edited:

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up the Audi Q7 yesterday. They drive it to a "POD" on the 5th floor of a tall building. They show you the features and walk you through the car, then drive you down a spiral ramp in the middle of the building. They have a slight blue hue, but haven't really checked it at night yet.

My dad had a 355 spider, but for all the reasons above swapped it for a 2014 911, because he didn't "care" and could drive it daily, get it serviced where he wanted with less focus on records and ultimate resale.

Very cool! I actually went the other direction. Had 2 modern 911s before I decided I wanted to buy my childhood dream car and burn a pile of money. LOL The sad thing is that 911s don't really do it for me anymore.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very cool! I actually went the other direction. Had 2 modern 911s before I decided I wanted to buy my childhood dream car and burn a pile of money. LOL The sad thing is that 911s don't really do it for me anymore.

Sort of like going back to just holding hands?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this in Paris last year. Hard to take a picture of it without someone in the way. You guys know the model?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

I saw this in Paris last year. Hard to take a picture of it without someone in the way. You guys know the model?

looks like a Ferrari 275GTB. Beautiful, beautiful machine.

edit: it appears that this model came with a V12. wow.

edit 2: apparently some of these have sold in excess of $1,000,000. Assuming this was not a kit-car, you have seen a unicorn.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

why do people feel the need to pose on, and take pictures with, cars that are not theirs? I will never understand.

When you find out let me know, I went to a car show last summer, where Ferrari had a stand with big signs "Please, don't touch the cars" and people still put their greasy paws all over them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
People that have never had nice things do not understand what it's like to have some asshole damage your nice thing so feel free to act out their Twitter fantasies.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

People that have never had nice things do not understand what it's like to have some asshole damage your nice thing so feel free to act out their Twitter fantasies.

What I struggle with is the purpose of it all.

Are they somehow augmenting their image because, by sheer happenstance, they were in the same location as somebody else who has the means to afford a vehicle like that? Or are they trying to portray the implication that they somehow own said vehicle? I see this a lot with the millennial generation and social media, and the question often crosses my mind. I will see an instagram-famous girl, whom I know drives a C-class, posing on/in the driver's seat of a {insert exotic luxury vehicle here}.

I wholly agree that there is a sort of dissonance with regards to the the impact of their actions because they have never been in the position (nor have I, but I tend to respect other people's property)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member