• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the dimensions, but I wish it actually were “hot hatch” sized. But it is

did they design their own bike rack? I like the look of it

edit: yeah, they did. And it attaches directly to the car instead of to a hitch receiver.

On one hand...probably real nice and optimized for convenient use/install. On the other hand, there's something nice about the universal attachment of a receiver mount...especially for an accessory that can last through MANY cars like my 1up hitch rack.

It is actually 2 independent pieces which would probably make it much easier for smaller/weaker people to install/remove:
20-65ea2bf437023.jpg

My 1up is on the light side for 2-bike wheel tray style racks and I doubt my wife could ever install/remove it.
The 1up patent expiring has allowed the creation of all of these copycats and as far as I can tell, they all seem to work pretty well but I don't consider them cheap or light.

I have a 4-bike platform and it's a beast - like 70 lbs. My old hanging mount was probably around half that. I didn't feel like pony-ing up for a nice tool-less adjustable tray rack like the Quikr which would allow me to easily flex from 1 up to 4 bikes (most of the time 1 is enough) (at 3x the cost) but that thing is pushing 100 lbs for the 4-bike capacity.

I don't think the direct mount is a deal-breaker for me since I pretty much only use my hitch for bike racks (and wouldn't tow with a Rivian) but as a multi-car family I like having flexibility so hopefully there are some adapters to make it possible use a regular hitch rack on the Rivian and vice versa.

As for other accessories, I get that it's part of the lifestyle they are selling but I don't really have any interest in them. I'm not a van camper and don't see the appeal of sleeping on top of your car. For me it's backpacking or bust.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m sure if you invest in a Rivian and Rivian bike rack you could sell the bike rack down the road. People are always on the look out for used accessories like that.

I’m more interested in car camping than a roof tent. Electric cars excel at car camping and being able to lay the front seats flat with a Rivian is super nice for taller guys.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for other accessories, I get that it's part of the lifestyle they are selling but I don't really have any interest in them. I'm not a van camper and don't see the appeal of sleeping on top of your car. For me it's backpacking or bust.

It is all about trailhead/location access, IMHO. (plus a side of bear safety in grizzly country, but that is mostly for hard sided vans, not soft toppers)

Days where the "camping" is just about having a place to sleep for whatever your real goal is (usually to ski, bike, climb, hunt, or similar).

Hop in the car Friday after work, drive as long as you can, pull into a turnout, and go to sleep (and hopefully get a more comfortable sleep than on a backpacking pad). Wake up, fold things away, have some breakfast, and get at it.
You don't really want to to be pitching a tent at midnight in the dark...especially if you aren't in a particularly nice spot for it with a good surface.

Popping open a tent topper (or climbing into the back of a van or truck insert camper) is easy and fast. You can usually leave your bedding and stuff in place so it takes 2 minutes to switch from driving to sleeping. Around here I think it is mostly hunters that like the roof tents...because then they leave their bed open for equipment and whatever they are hunting. Other sports seem to prefer the van, the truckbed camper insert, or just some kind of bed + storage setup in the truck bed with a topper.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is all about trailhead/location access, IMHO. (plus a side of bear safety in grizzly country, but that is mostly for hard sided vans, not soft toppers)

Days where the "camping" is just about having a place to sleep for whatever your real goal is (usually to ski, bike, climb, hunt, or similar).

Hop in the car Friday after work, drive as long as you can, pull into a turnout, and go to sleep (and hopefully get a more comfortable sleep than on a backpacking pad). Wake up, fold things away, have some breakfast, and get at it.
You don't really want to to be pitching a tent at midnight in the dark...especially if you aren't in a particularly nice spot for it with a good surface.

Popping open a tent topper (or climbing into the back of a van or truck insert camper) is easy and fast. You can usually leave your bedding and stuff in place so it takes 2 minutes to switch from driving to sleeping. Around here I think it is mostly hunters that like the roof tents...because then they leave their bed open for equipment and whatever they are hunting. Other sports seem to prefer the van, the truckbed camper insert, or just some kind of bed + storage setup in the truck bed with a topper.
To be clear I’m not criticizing the market they are serving with these accessories, I’m just saying that car camping lifestyle is not of any interest to me. I appreciate Rivian’s brand positioning and think it makes sense, even if most of their vehicles won’t be enjoyed that way. It’s a good framing of the concept of enjoying the outdoors without the safari/off-road cosplay that is so popular with other brands.

One of my kids has been bugging us to go camping this summer so that could take us in the car camping direction but I’m not sure what shape it will take or whether it’s one of those things that becomes a true interest for the family. Now that they are getting older I’m hoping we can do some backpacking because when I was a kid it was one of my favorite activities.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be clear I’m not criticizing the market they are serving I’m just saying it’s not of any interest to me. I appreciate Rivian’s brand positioning and think it makes sense, even if most of their vehicles won’t be enjoyed that way. It’s a good framing of the concept of enjoying the outdoors without the safari/off-road cosplay that is so popular with other brands.

FWIW, I mostly think the roof tents are silly (sorry Jr.)...they can be useful in some circumstances but:

1) they are big and heavy which makes them hard to install....and hard to store when off the car
2) they give you a comfy bed, but are otherwise mostly still a compromise
3) the nice ones are expensive as ****. You can easily spend 3-4 grand or more on a nice rooftop setup (and something super primo like that Rivian one will be even more).

Kind of a tough market...for basically free I can figure out how to sleep in the back of an SUV with seats folded down or deal with the hassle of setting up a real tent on the ground with big fat car camping mattresses. Or if I'm gonna spend money, maybe I start looking in different directions (teardrop trailer, cheap older truck bed slide in, van). And they are mostly only good for 2 people anyways, so freeing up space in your car isn't as valuable...

So they either end up on the cars of people with $$$ and big homes/garages or people who are very dedicated to a specific hobby for which they make sense and get used a few times a month at least.

One of my kids has been bugging us to go camping this summer so that could take us in the car camping direction but I’m not sure what shape it will take or whether it’s one of those things that becomes a true interest for the family. Now that they are getting older I’m hoping we can do some backpacking because when I was a kid it was one of my favorite activities.

Car camping is underrated IMHO. Backpacking is undeniably cooler, but as long as you can figure out how to avoid places that are basically RV parks, there are some pretty great car accessible campgrounds out there. Gear/food is easier to manage, you can bring more spacious/comfortable stuff, you can bring activity items (bikes, SUPs, kayaks, etc.), and the barriers to entry are lower.

Best option is finding places that are "car camping plus a walk"...filters out all the vans/RVs and people with super bloated camps that they aren't willing to carry 200 yards.

For you: A couple years ago we camped in the Humboldt Redwoods State park with some SF people. I believe we were at site 3 of the Hamilton Barn Environmental Camp: https://www.redwoodhikes.com/Humboldt/BaxterHamiltonCG.html
Was fricking awesome--still "car camping" but very secluded and private, nice swimming hole nearby, hiking options that don't require getting back in the car, and lots of great stuff that is accessible by car (big redwoods, some river floating/kayaking/supping, etc,)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I couldn’t use a rooftop tent because I wouldn’t be able to take my dog.

I just think Rivian’s solution is cool. Not saying that I want one. I’m far more interested in car camping.

It’s going to expensive as ****. If I wanted one I’d wait a year or two and snatch up a used one for half the cost.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My SIL and BIL go camping and my wife said it would be fun. I forget the witty joke I had but it involved divorce before camping. If I want terrible sleep, I would just tell my 5yr old he can sleep in our bed for the night and he will kick me the entire time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads