• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the vanlifers who live in their vans. I'm going to completely make this up but I know like 3 different kinds of people who do this thing.
Sounds like a fair grouping, and we definitely have all 3.

Although I think it is hard to tell group 2 apart from the others if you don't know them personally (or at least have them for a neighbor and get to watch how often they work on it vs how often it leaves the driveway). Just depends how professional their results are :laugh:

I assume it falls victim to "aspirational purchasing" the same as any other hobby taken up by someone with more money than time. No different than putting a bunch of track mods on your car when you don't have the free weekends to actually spend at the track to learn how to push your vehicle past stock setup...or buying more woodworking tools when 90% of your actual "woodworking" time is just watching YouTube furniture videos when you should be working.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I lol’ed at @UnFacconable ’s description of these people as Larpers. Spot on.

But then I guess most of automotive subculture is a form of Larping, then. Including these full sized pickup truckers (best selling vehicle in America for pretty much my entire adult life) that have never put anything in the bed

brokencycle

Reaction score
I larp as a car owner. I pay hundreds every year to register and insure my car. This year I have a $1500 repair bill, and I drove 500 miles last year. My total cost of ownership is like $2/mile. Am I doing it right?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I larp as a car owner. I pay hundreds every year to register and insure my car. This year I have a $1500 repair bill, and I drove 500 miles last year. My total cost of ownership is like $2/mile. Am I doing it right?
No. You need 2 cars. You need an everyday car and a fun car to really do car ownership correctly.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve got a neighbor who owns the new Bronco with one of the higher-end off-road trims. Never seen an ounce of dirt or mud on it and would be shocked if he ever takes it off-roading.

He’s larping the lifestyle.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of want to get the new Toyota LC and larp like a mofo just because the new LC looks cool.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what happens when you have the lifestyle without the vehicle. My old Geo Metro put up with a lot of s—t. This was at Sierra-at-Tahoe nearly twenty years ago.

IMG_5425.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kind of want to get the new Toyota LC and larp like a mofo just because the new LC looks cool.
Totally legit reason. I had to run a quick errand just now and noticed someone has a new Lamborghini Sterrato in their driveway. That might be the ultimate off-road LARP along with the Earthmover and those F650 super pickups

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still enjoy driving my beat up old POS body on frame SUV to the hill. My kids hate it when I take it instead of our new SUV but that just makes me even more determined to keep the old beast going.

I've been thinking a bit about this whole larping notion lately during my long drives to and from Tahoe. I've always assumed that at some point I would buy a sports car, but I'm leaning more heavily toward ski/surf boat as the better toy for my family. As much as I love cars, I don't think I would end up really using a sports car in a way that would improve my life so it would just be one of those things that I marvel at and enjoy having but drive like 500 miles a year and fret over. If I had more time, perhaps a track car would make sense but I don't see myself carving out that much time to track something. I could probably scratch the itch with one or two HDPE's per year.

With a sports boat, it's basically track day every day. Every time I use it, I would have a blast. It would be expensive and wasteful, but I would be using it exactly the way it's designed and built to be used. It's also something that would benefit my family a lot more than a car that I would be the primary driver for.

For now, renting a boat with a driver a few times each summer gives us a lot of the benefit, but if we got into an early retirement situation it sure would be great to go out a few times per week. Obviously there is a theme to the activities I most enjoy - typically gravity assisted outdoor sports - so a sport boat fits right there, plus it brings the motor-driven speed that I would get from a sports car.

Doesn't mean I'm giving up on the idea of ever getting a cool car, but this whole thought exercise has provided me with helpful perspective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads