• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
play? play what? 4k repairs for a car driven for 5,000 miles is absurd

any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that
well, most can.
and be glad you aren't a fool who buys a ferrari. for an engine out service every 20k miles.

Tell that to the Nissan GTR guys who used the launch control to blow their transmission.
LOL!, you mean the Nissanghini? true JDM car guys would never buy one.

Japanese cars are disposable cars. I have one to rack up high miles for work, occasional trips to NYC, when the Mrs. wants to pick up potting soil, plants etc to do gardening, and when I have to go some place where cars could either be dinged with shopping carts, or its just a bad part of town. It serves a purpose, but I've never seen a Japanese car that I thought was beautiful and
which I truly desired to own. Maybe the closest I can think of would be the 1960's Toyota 2000 GT,...although for that kind of money I'd rather have an early 1960s MB 300SL Roadster.

The German cars are for carving up nice winding roads with some of our friends who also have fun German, Italian, or British sports cars. We specifically choose to take longer routes, enjoying the scenery and going out for lunch or dinner at the end of the journey. Either you get owning a German car or you don't.
you mean beautiful, in a Picasso-esque way? let me tell you like this. there are some of the most beautiful cars in the world from Japan. like the early Cozmo. the 240Z, and the Kenmeri's. Carving up winding roads? German?
crackup[1].gif
don't you mean MR2,WRX,350Z?
oh, i get owning a German car. which is why i won't.

gong

Reaction score

Yeah, but you have to drive a Japanese car, so there's that drawback

it's not a drawback if every other time i want to drive the car as intended it won't break

and if it does break it won't cost a small fortune to repair

mike1445

Reaction score
I have to ask if anyone on here has driven the new Lexus IS F sedans. They have some awkward design cues but I'll admit to admiring them from time to time. while we're on the topic of German luxury vs Japanese practicality, has anyone given one of these an honest try?are they that boring compared to the 3 series?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I have to ask if anyone on here has driven the new Lexus IS F sedans. They have some awkward design cues but I'll admit to admiring them from time to time. while we're on the topic of German luxury vs Japanese practicality, has anyone given one of these an honest try?are they that boring compared to the 3 series?

test driving cars for fun tomorrow. would try the lexus, but i have a crush on the lexus lady. and i'm shopping for the wife..
patch[1].gif
they seem like great cars though.
when talking practicallity, are most unaware that Japanese cars exceed the luxury of german cars in many models?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the last Japanese car I truly coveted was the MR2 Turbo, which I owned. And the Acura NSX, which I didn't. Tried at least 3 times to talk myself into a GTR because of its great numbers for the price, but couldn't. This streak could be broken if I ever drive the new NSX and love it

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

it's not a drawback if every other time i want to drive the car as intended it won't break

and if it does break it won't cost a small fortune to repair

If reliability and cost of ownership are your only criteria for buying a car, then I do agree that you should always buy Japanese.

gong

Reaction score
except that a supercharged FRS/BRZ with a adequate suspension setup would walk the majority of the cars in this thread

at half the price
without breaking monthly

but seeing as how people here are struggling to change a sensor i understand

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
except that a supercharged FRS/BRZ with a adequate suspension setup would walk the majority of the cars in this thread

at half the price
without breaking monthly

but seeing as how people here are struggling to change a sensor i understand

a supercharged 350Z. even more so. in fact, any decently setup car could walk the thread faves. i know of a friend who came super close to the lap time of the new Bimmer M4 driving a 2000 legacy GTB.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wake me when the Japan vs. Germany fight is over...

mike1445

Reaction score
Not my intention with that question, but I am looking forward to thrift vader's opinion on the Lexus if he goes and sees his crush.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Not my intention with that question, but I am looking forward to thrift vader's opinion on the Lexus if he goes and sees his crush.

Don't think your question started it as it's been running for over a page now. I have to say it's interesting to find out though that apparently my car should not start every second time when I've never been stranded in over a decade of driving them.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really shouldn't get sucked into this but you guys are repeating the stupid rice boy arguments from the 90's. "My heavily modified xxx will walk this car and that car". An I going to read about that 1500 hp half a million dollar pro drift car that destroys all, again?

the BRZ is a fine car. Does a fine job as a cheap car that's fun to toss around. My brother in law had a 350z and it's totally disappointing. Maybe the new 370's are better.

I'm going to walk away from this "fight" now but I always find it really interesting how fanbois jump to defend some faceless company's products like it was part of their national pride or personal identity. They're cars! I happen to prefer one German company's products at the moment, but the Japanese companies are more than welcome to try to win my business with a better product. But no, I'm not interested in something where I have to overnight in 10 grand of parts from Japan before I decimate all :lol:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
For me "customization" means I stick the RFID emitter for our gate on the dashboard.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've
never seen a Japanese car that I thought was beautiful and which I truly desired to own.

I wouldn't mind: Datsun 2000, Datsun 240/260/280z, Toyota 2000gt, the 1st & 3rd gen Mazda RX-7, 3rd gen Toyota Supra turbo, 2nd gen Toyota MR2, Subaru BRAT (I always liked those), FJ Landcruiser...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads