• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have to ask if anyone on here has driven the new Lexus IS F sedans. They have some awkward design cues but I'll admit to admiring them from time to time. while we're on the topic of German luxury vs Japanese practicality, has anyone given one of these an honest try?are they that boring compared to the 3 series?

My neighbor has two IS300's for he and his wife. He also has identical M3's, so I guess he likes to do stuff in twos.

He's really happy with them. I think they look really great, actually. Lexus nailed the design IMO and they are really popular in south Florida

Compared to the 3 series they seem to be slightly down on power to the 335's and about par with the 328.

the last IS F was competitive with the last M3 on paper but I found it numb and unengaging (I ended up with the M3 but cross shopped against ISF, C AMG and S4). I suggest you drive the new F back to back with the new M3/4 because if they've improved chassis and steering feel, they may be more competitive now with the M's. I wrote this before, but I feel the new M's have taken a step back in those areas

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

except that a supercharged FRS/BRZ with a adequate suspension setup would walk the majority of the cars in this thread

at half the price
without breaking monthly

but seeing as how people here are struggling to change a sensor i understand

A heavily modded car can take a bone stock car? Is that really the argument you want to make?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's especially funny given that his original assertion is that you buy Japanese cars because of their reliability. So by all means go ahead and punt that reliability with extensive engine mods :lol:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Dood, modifying Japanese cars does not impact reliability.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
My neighbor has two IS300's for he and his wife. He also has identical M3's, so I guess he likes to do stuff in twos.

He's really happy with them. I think they look really great, actually. Lexus nailed the design IMO and they are really popular in south Florida

Compared to the 3 series they seem to be slightly down on power to the 335's and about par with the 328.

the last IS F was competitive with the last M3 on paper but I found it numb and unengaging (I ended up with the M3 but cross shopped against ISF, C AMG and S4). I suggest you drive the new F back to back with the new M3/4 because if they've improved chassis and steering feel, they may be more competitive now with the M's. I wrote this before, but I feel the new M's have taken a step back in those areas
my last daily was the Toyota Altezza (is200 with a better engine) and it had a BMW 320 owned. all day. but it lacked POWER. in short. Lexus can hang with the 3 series. anytime. but imho. better.the ISF? should be a really satisfying car.

It's especially funny given that his original assertion is that you buy Japanese cars because of their reliability. So by all means go ahead and punt that reliability with extensive engine mods
lol8[1].gif
there are mods, and mods done well. on a spring track day, it's even turf. and germans are slow.
my friend is no.10. BMW M4? pos.8.

and the legacy has a super nice interior, with space for whatever.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So the recent thread trend makes me want to ask this question: why are Japanese cars with fart cans always so slow?

gong

Reaction score

Don't think your question started it as it's been running for over a page now. I have to say it's interesting to find out though that apparently my car should not start every second time when I've never been stranded in over a decade of driving them.

it's interesting you of all people would make this point because you lease new vehicles, lol

i am not a jdm ricer or die hard, but there is no denying for people who like performance they are the best for your dollar.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

because Ricecar.

I'm not 100% sure what this means, but seriously, every car with a fart can I've ever had the ill luck to end up behind in traffic really seems to have problems accelerating. My puzzlement is over a mod, and a noisy one at that, which seems to have no discernible performance benefit.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend has an allocation on one of these guys - a 991 GT3 (non-RS):

He's still debating PDK or the 6 speed at this point. This forum knows I'm a huge proponent of semi-automatic gearboxes. I think that in this case, that would be a car I'd never get with a PDK. His DD is a DCT M4.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what this means, but seriously, every car with a fart can I've ever had the ill luck to end up behind in traffic really seems to have problems accelerating. My puzzlement is over a mod, and a noisy one at that, which seems to have no discernible performance benefit.
0.jpg

- you wouldn't hear me coming until you see me pass you.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i am not a jdm ricer or die hard, but there is no denying for people who like performance they are the best for your dollar.

This is styleforum where people wear $30,000 watches when a $30 Casio or Timex can probably do a better job of telling time. There comes a point when people stop worrying about getting the best bang for their dollar and enjoy luxury things. I'd rather have a Ferrari instead of a heavily modded Toyota or Honda when I'm sure with enough mods the Honda or Toyota could beat it on a track.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thrift, got it now. :laugh:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
This is styleforum where people wear $30,000 watches when a $30 Casio or Timex can probably do a better job of telling time. There comes a point when people stop worrying about getting the best bang for their dollar and enjoy luxury things. I'd rather have a Ferrari instead of a heavily modded Toyota or Honda when I'm sure with enough mods the Honda or Toyota could beat it on a track.
then you sir. are a fool. Luxury is doing what things do. better than other things.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My friend has an allocation on one of these guys - a 991 GT3 (non-RS):

He's still debating PDK or the 6 speed at this point.

I was about to ask WTF are you talking about, 991 GT3's are PDK only...but I googled first.

So Preuninger confirmed that he's bringing the manual back, and will keep building NA GT's for the foreseeable future?? :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads