• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pronecessitate

Reaction score
I think yes there is. If I'm not mistaken, the same style on two different lasts would each have separate model numbers. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
The model that I have has the number 1-234 and 10003 with the latter referring to the model no. I guess. Does the former number say anything about the last?

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @watchman1.
Those lwb look great. The cognac on the Norwegian ST appears to be darker on the Carmina website. It looks almost burnished:

Do you think it's just the lighting or did they perhaps make these using a darker shade?

IME, all the shades from Horween have grown increasingly more dark over the last several years.

If you notice Dr. Peppers cognac PTB above, that is actually a good shade. "Middle of the Road" Cognac shell.

My LWB are definitely on the darker side. And that is Ok.

I prefer lighter, however, a good variation gives you more flexibility and variety in your wardrobe and pairing options.

What you may consider is to pick those NST up and then patiently search for your ideal shade.

That is my plan at this point.

Thanks.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the record, I think the shade on those NST's is gorgeous....

IME, all the shades from Horween have grown increasingly more dark over the last several years.  

If you notice Dr. Peppers cognac PTB above, that is actually a good shade.  "Middle of the Road" Cognac shell.

My LWB are definitely on the darker side.  And that is Ok.

I prefer lighter, however, a good variation gives you more flexibility and variety in your wardrobe and pairing options.

What you may consider is to pick those NST up and then patiently search for your ideal shade.

That is my plan at this point.

Thanks.

Thanks. I actually prefer darker cognac, so if the color on the website is accurate, these will be perfect for me!!

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The model that I have has the number 1-234 and 10003 with the latter referring to the model no. I guess. Does the former number say anything about the last?

Apparently not, since I can find that model number made on at least 4 different lasts. Maybe post a pic and we'll do our best to identify the last by appearance, or at least rule some of them out.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Carmina and Alden cordovan LWBs seem to be similar in weight. Carmina uses a steel shank as well.
Are you sure of that?

Those pics have been taken in the store. I do not know whether they continue to use those materials or not (do not think so).

Maybe Carmina can offer an explanation here.

tkebh979

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually prefer darker cognac, so if the color on the website is accurate, these will be perfect for me!!

I noticed that directly before restocking the cognac shell items (double monks and LWBs), the image colors were updated to be darker and redder than previous.

I cannot speak to if the hides are a darker, redder shade - just that their online representation is. This image is from the Navy LWB MTO (they didn't do a mock-up in navy, just used the "old" cognac as a model):

vs the updated color:

(edited bc original images were "uuuuge.")

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a pair of Cognac shell LWBs, and they are significantly darker and redder than my Cognac wingtips from 2014/2015. The website photo of them is accurate.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow interesting cross-section. I believe I read an AMA or interview or some other social media post with Mr. Albaladejo stating that steel shanks were used. It is possible that I'm remembering incorrectly or mixing up with a different shoemaker.

Pending clarification I will stand corrected.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow interesting cross-section. I believe I read an AMA or interview or some other social media post with Mr. Albaladejo stating that steel shanks were used. It is possible that I'm remembering incorrectly or mixing up with a different shoemaker.

Yes, may be someone with due knowledge can chime in. I do not even think they continue to use that canvas strip.....

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mosy , I purchased (and had to return for sizing issue) the cognac NST last year in September. Here are couple of pics I took at the time and should give good idea on the color-

tkebh979

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a pair of Cognac shell LWBs, and they are significantly darker and redder than my Cognac wingtips from 2014/2015. The website photo of them is accurate.

In the wild photos of this new shell color would be very much appreciated.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a steel shank. They posted a photo of their construction to IG, to which I asked if that's a steel shank, to which they said yes.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a steel shank. They posted a photo of their construction to IG, to which I asked if that's a steel shank, to which they said yes. 

THAT'S where I read it! So I'm not crazy. Well, I might be, but at least not in this case.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88tips