• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a quick browse of ebay / vcleat and found this.

Weyenberg – Weyenberg had a line of “Custom Grade” shoes in the 1950s and 1960s that were great. Their shoes in the 1970s and 1980s were less than great.

source: VCleat

Ebay listing with similar text: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weyenberg-Massagic-Oxford-Derby-Pebble-Grain-Leather-Mens-Shoes-sz-8-5-D-/123710355664?hash=item1ccdb638d0:g:XVcAAOSwUxhbRUQT&nma=true&si=PvCKHPx1ICVLfi0cnov4Xab5eV0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice work. Thanks!

ConcreteOvercoat

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has already been asked. Scrolled back a month or so but didn't see anything

Has anyone noticed their returns skyrocket in the last month or so? I've been at this 3+ years and I have never accepted returns, I get a few requests a year but thats to be expected (nobody is perfect and if there is an error in my listing I'll more than happily make it right.

I'm looking at 6 returns THIS WEEK, and going like this all month. All bullshit "item not as described" or "arrived damaged". People saying my measurements are wrong but refusing to send photos, claiming flaws but refusing to send photos, saying the color isn't as described ("chalk blue gray" wasn't blue enough), claims of odor, cigarette smoke, or mildew which are obvious lies (my inventory is OBVIOUSLY not moldy and I don't smoke). I honestly don't have the time to keep up with fighting them all, and now eBay has upped my fees and downgraded my seller status because of a high rate of item not as described returns.

Has eBay made it easier for people to request returns when the seller doesn't take them lately? Anyone else noticing this lately?

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has already been asked. Scrolled back a month or so but didn't see anything

Has anyone noticed their returns skyrocket in the last month or so? I've been at this 3+ years and I have never accepted returns, I get a few requests a year but thats to be expected (nobody is perfect and if there is an error in my listing I'll more than happily make it right.

I'm looking at 6 returns THIS WEEK, and going like this all month. All bullshit "item not as described" or "arrived damaged". People saying my measurements are wrong but refusing to send photos, claiming flaws but refusing to send photos, saying the color isn't as described ("chalk blue gray" wasn't blue enough), claims of odor, cigarette smoke, or mildew which are obvious lies (my inventory is OBVIOUSLY not moldy and I don't smoke). I honestly don't have the time to keep up with fighting them all, and now eBay has upped my fees and downgraded my seller status because of a high rate of item not as described returns.

Has eBay made it easier for people to request returns when the seller doesn't take them lately? Anyone else noticing this lately?

Call ebay when the item comes back before you refund. They will credit a shipping label cost here and there if you spell it out for them. Takes 4 minutes for an extra 6.75 in bill credits. You probably got a bad run of buyers and it sucks. I run no returns now after noticing that offering free returns cost me an extra $200 a month and 10 hours a label and paid returns costing me about $100 and 8 hours of labor. No returns only costing about $40 a month and <1 hour of labor including the cost of time calling ebay to get refunds on labels.

On a side note ebay screwed everything up and half of my listings (800) are being prompted to add item specifics. Sizes are missing on half of my non multi quantity denim. I suppose it will take roughly 10 hours today to fix this issue. Sales dropped 35% and profit dropped 15% so if anyone else has to grind through fixing your listings I feel your pain. This is probably the worst week I've had in a while. Had to coincide with me bumping my buddys pay to 20% of gross instead of net and a shop cancelling a $3k order. Ugh. /endrant

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up if you've run into any issues shipping stuff into California to communities near fires. I have an item that is late getting to a buyer in Santa Rosa. He went in to his local Post Office today, and they told him that they are 2-3 days behind in getting stuff out (the last scan on his tracking shows "Waiting For Delivery Scan").

I'm sharing this so that you know that this is a potential issue. If you have item not received cases or messages stating such from buyers, check their proximity to the fires. This buyer is very close to one of the larger wildfires burning right now.

Also, Ebay knows that this is a potential issue. If you run into a INR case, or late delivery mark, call them and they should be able to clear that from your record.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up if you've run into any issues shipping stuff into California to communities near fires. I have an item that is late getting to a buyer in Santa Rosa. He went in to his local Post Office today, and they told him that they are 2-3 days behind in getting stuff out (the last scan on his tracking shows "Waiting For Delivery Scan").

I'm sharing this so that you know that this is a potential issue. If you have item not received cases or messages stating such from buyers, check their proximity to the fires. This buyer is very close to one of the larger wildfires burning right now.

Also, Ebay knows that this is a potential issue. If you run into a INR case, or late delivery mark, call them and they should be able to clear that from your record.
They posted an announcement on this a few days ago. Here is a link in case anyone missed it:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go again:

Sold an item to a buyer in August, item gets held by customs, I tell buyer it's in customs, buyer refuses package. He opens an item not received case, which automatically closes due to no new updates from either party.

Buyer is then asking for a refund afterward but I am not in possession of the item. eBay say I'm not obligated to offer a refund for this as anything that has been refused at customs is not covered by the money back guarantee. They instead tell me to contact PayPal as technically they may be able to refund the buyer from their money back guarantee (not from my account). Pretty confident if any negative feedback was received it could be removed.

I call PayPal and give them the eBay ref. for the conversation with the rep. They say that obviously if a case is opened they'll have to look into it themselves irregardless of what eBay say and that I personally cannot initiate the process for the client.

Now I'm just worried that a case might be opened on PayPal which I could lose (if they act like their usual selves). In the end who is to blame here, I feel like I've fulfilled all the obligations on my end..?

Further to this...it turns out the buyer has actually been lying to me. The package is still waiting for him in Uruguay he just hasn't picked it up yet. It has not been returned to me at all.

He is still asking me for a refund when all the time I have been saying "here is the tracking it's in customs waiting for you...". I can't help but think the moment I refund him he'll just go and pick the package up!

Now, he cannot open another case on eBay I know that as his previous one expired.

Spoo assures me any case on Paypal is a straight loss no matter what I say...do I just give in to this scammer or?!

Kazoo

Reaction score
Hi all, I should've trusted my instincts and not accepted his offer, but here we are. I specifically mentioned VTG in the title.

I don't mind taking the return but I absolutely do not want to pay for shipping. How do I go about dealing with it?

Username for adding to blocklist?

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Here's one for the blocklist: games_onfire

Sold him a RLPL jacket a few weeks ago, last Wednesday got a return request from him stating:

"The jacket looks very cheaply made, looks like a cheap jacket with just the brand sewn on later. All the buttons are cheap plastic buttons, does not appear to be a genuine Ralph Lauren purple label, which is one of the best suit companies in the world."

I sent him photographic proof of different RLPL jackets listed on eBay with the same tags by St Andrews, & this was his follow-up:

"How is it possible that there are so little tags (tags inside of the jacket.) And the suit doesn't even have surgeon cuffs. Plus the buttons are the cheapest plastics ones you can find."

No surgeon cuffs=fake, I guess. :facepalm:

However, when I tried to upload the pictures originally in the return request on my phone, eBay conveniently put the "Accept Return" button as the main button to click on the "Upload pictures" page. So, I accidentally clicked it. Immediately called eBay and tried to reverse this, was told to call back today and they would be able to reverse/close the return. Called today, "we are unable to reverse returns", meaning I'm stuck having to accept a return for an authentic item where the buyer had no proof that it was "fake". Here's the kicker: the buyer is in Japan, and return shipping will be about $70, which has to come out of my pocket. End rant, I'm too upset for 9:20 AM on a Monday.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoo assures me any case on Paypal is a straight loss no matter what I say...do I just give in to this scammer or?!

If the tracking shows as not delivered on PayPal, yes, that is a straight loss, no two ways about it. Ive never had one where it was closed and then shows as delivered later, but I suppose that would be good grounds for an appeal.

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
If the tracking shows as not delivered on PayPal, yes, that is a straight loss, no two ways about it. Ive never had one where it was closed and then shows as delivered later, but I suppose that would be good grounds for an appeal.

I've had cases closed for non receipt (lost in transit). 10-20 minute call to ebay (depending on how long it took to get there) usually results in a credit of the cost of the item. Requires a bit of aggressiveness sometimes to get the money.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Username for adding to blocklist?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
noob question: I closed a ‘Hey, this doesn’t fit!’ return because eBay said I didn’t have to accept a return. Then I got a message that said, ‘Thanks. Now the buyer can ask us to step in and eff you!’.

Why would they have option of doing that if I was allowed to just close the return because he didn’t read the measurements?

madeinbogota

Reaction score
noob question: I closed a ‘Hey, this doesn’t fit!’ return because eBay said I didn’t have to accept a return. Then I got a message that said, ‘Thanks. Now the buyer can ask us to step in and eff you!’.

Why would they have option of doing that if I was allowed to just close the return because he didn’t read the measurements?

Could be wrong, but I think you should be good as long as the correct size was listed and you provided the measurements. Them saying it doesn't fit when the info was there for them to see before the purchase should nullify any action that they would want to take with eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads