• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a wardrobe - starting from scratch

Ashnz

Reaction score
Hi

I'm completely new here so go easy
wink.gif

I'm 23 and a final year college student. I haven't usually been the guy who thinks a lot about fashion, dressing up nicely etc but then recently a special lady came to my life and that's when I realised I need to start looking after myself a bit better.

So I want to build a wardrobe from scratch. Currently I have few jeans/t-shirts but I don't expect them to last much longer. Perhaps the most valuable things in my wardrobe right now is a black overcoat (similar to this one). It was a gift. That's just about all I have right now that will last me 5 years +

About myself:

5'11"/180cm, 74kg/160lbs. Lean build. My ideal style would be something that is classy but also a little bit bold/different. I also don't mind breaking traditional rules and be independent so I want my style to reflect that. Street and casual wear are definite no-no but I do enjoy having accessories - mainly necklaces (again I tend to be unusual with my choice of necklaces).

I want a wardrobe that will last me atleast about 10 years. My usual night out won't be at a dance club or even a bar but most likely a proper dinner with family/friends/dates. These are the occasions I want to start to dress well for.

Also next year I will be working as a civil engineer so my work will be on construction sites etc but I am not too concerned about that because I know I can buy few decent jeans to cover the work scenarios.

So where do I start? I don't have much money right now but I want to prepare a shopping list so I know what to buy when I'm out buying clothes.

Cheers

Ashnz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
Use the ******* search button.
Listen - if I wanted generic advice, I would have used Google. There's plenty of generic advice online and I wouldn't have bothered signing up here. I came to this forum for more individualised advice - isn't that what this place is for? Besides, who the **** are you? A moderator? Search police? Stay the **** away from my threads from now on.

Roscius

Reaction score
^ LOL Love the last line

Im not very experienced, but you can always start with the Staples first, the things everyone should have then work in your own personal unique style from there.

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=103925 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=73993 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=737365 If you'd used SF's search function, you would have found these threads, which all address basics... Since your question is a top-level FAQ sort, don't expect people to go falling over themselves to help you out, when one of the things that sticks in a lot of people's craws is when all the noob "How do I build a wardrobe" threads crowd out more interesting forum content.

bwp

Reaction score
Best thing you can do is take your time, use the resources here and learn for yourself what you need in your wardrobe and how it should fit. Spend a few months lurking and collecting...

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say step one is to browse the WAYWRN threads and save anything you like. Then poke through the folder and see what keep reoccurring. Or you can take the Mafoofan angle and get 5 copies of the same shoe and a closet full of light blue shirts.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't take it personal OP, I'm new here too, but i have learned a lot just by reading threads on such topics. Once you have been on here a bit, you see how often this same question is asked. You'll understand why it's frustrating for some. So just relax, and try not to be so crass, it does not bode well in the long run here. As far as what you already have, start new, basic solid color dress shirts, chinos and dress pants, proper shoes, then move on to SC and suits. There are some good threads on those topics
smile.gif

Ashnz

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. Really appreciated. I will look at threads that have been suggested.

Godot

Reaction score
This is something most people stumble through. Don't be that guy. Look at people in your new line of work & see how they dress & sort of mirror it without appearing to. Your going to be doing construction, so your going to need some steel tipped boots. They should be broken in & not look like you just bought them. From your job description it sounds like a Land's End / Duluth Trading wardrobe would be about right. Get some catalogs & cut out pictures of what you want. Then shop sales, factory outlets & even second hand stores to create it.
You'll need a couple of pair of dress shoes. Allen Edmonds makes great shoes & they are a little expensive. Buy their factory seconds at half price. Trust me no one will know the difference.
Pick up a few Cross pens. They have a little status without being pretentious.
You will need two watches. One rugged quartz for the construction sites & a traditional analog for the office. For the analog you can get a used gold filled wind up & put a leather band on it & your good to go. If anyone asks, it was your grandfathers.
________________________________________________________________________________________

If you were coming out of law or business school, you will have just spent $250,000 (+) on your education. When your that deep in the hole, what's another 5 or 10 thousand. See what kind of clothing people in that field are wearing in that field are wearing in your city & mirror it. If your going to be working on LaSalle or Wall Street, your probably going to be wearing Brooks Brothers or something like it. Make an appointment with a personal shopper & tell him you won't be buying today as you are waiting for your inheritance to clear, but slip him $20 for his trouble. Have him give you your correct sizes & listen to his opinions about what would work for you.
This wardrobe is going to cost a few bucks, but if you go into work looking like a professional all things being equal, your going to have a huge jump on your completion. "Where am I, a poor student supposed to get $5000 for clothes?". You go to a bank and borrow it. This is a business investment. Pick up a job bartending on Saturday nights & you can pay off the loan in less then a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads