• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey JP, would you take a middle aged soul for one of these? joking aside i agree with you, if i wanted an SAB i would get an SAB no matter how much people try and put them down. I have watched your style progress for a few years now and i have to say it is incredible. I like what you do because it is authentic. I actually met you at the style forum trunk show last year. Ive had my eye on your Thomas More model for a few months now and I am close to making a decision but now you have some new models i have to think about.

i don't see any 3 section briefcases would you do this?

I haven't had many requests for a 3 section but that would not be a problem.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
JP I'm just in love with The Alfred Wallace 2209. It will be my next briefcase

thanks, here are some brand new images of the 2209 with the new engraved hasps. Im running down on the Havana / Chocolate as you see in the pics and will be awhile until i get another batch of this color. Plenty of London Tan, chestnut, brown and black and for something really different in the English harness tan.

These strap briefcases might seem impractical at first with opening and closing the real buckles each time you want to get in and out, but they really are not. Ive seen this try and get handled with fake buckles and i don't know about that option, it takes away from the "realness". The straps are great for that classic look and also security, especially when you have it around your shoulder walking down the street.

or, you can be cool and keep the straps New York Style like this

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a speciality lock manufacturer for high-end briefcases?

I suppose there's a possibility that companies like Hermes and Louis Vuitton might produce their locks in-house. Vuitton's locks are especially unique.

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Is there a speciality lock manufacturer for high-end briefcases?

I suppose there's a possibility that companies like Hermes and Louis Vuitton might produce their locks in-house. Vuitton's locks are especially unique.

Much of Louis Vuitton hardware comes from Poursin in Paris I believe. I don't know about Hermes but wouldn't be surprised if the same applies, they seem to do a lot of their sourcing in France

Charlie

jackgb1980

Reaction score
I haven't had many requests for a 3 section but that would not be a problem.
The Nathan Hale Briefcase – this is brand new and still underdevelopment. It will be out by mid June 2014. This is a final sample with the only difference being my logo name engraved on the hasp. This is a very unique combination lock that is built so well the internal and external components resemble a fine clock. This lock is NOT Nickle Alloy an inferior metal. It is made of Palladium, a pure precious metal and will also come in solid brass. I will have more info as the time comes. It is lined with suede – handle is removable and here are 2 types

I have never seen a lock like this lock before, but i really like it, can you put this on a thomas more style briefcase, what i want is a briefcase with straps that do not come off but i think it needs something nice in the center like a lock. can you explain this lock more? do you need that metal key to turn it? does it stay in the open position or do you need to do the combo lock each time?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The Nathan Hale Briefcase – this is brand new and still underdevelopment. It will be out by mid June 2014. This is a final sample with the only difference being my logo name engraved on the hasp. This is a very unique combination lock that is built so well the internal and external components resemble a fine clock. This lock is NOT Nickle Alloy an inferior metal. It is made of Palladium, a pure precious metal and will also come in solid brass. I will have more info as the time comes. It is lined with suede – handle is removable and here are 2 types I have never seen a lock like this lock before, but i really like it, can you put this on a thomas more style briefcase, what i want is a briefcase with straps that do not come off but i think it needs something nice in the center like a lock. can you explain this lock more? do you need that metal key to turn it? does it stay in the open position or do you need to do the combo lock each time?
I hadnt seen this before. Is the lock really made of Palladium? Very big time and rather impressive if so and I assume has a price tag to match? Maybe the above is a typo though and its palladium plated brass? Still a good way of doing it but am intrigued.. Charlie

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
At over $800 an ounce currently for Palladium i don't think anyone has a solid Palladium lock, not only that this is a hard metal so making a lock of this sophistication and such small intricate moving parts almost like a watch, would be very difficult. But you are right, i should make note that it is Solid Brass plated with Palladium. As stated, Palladium is a strong metal, like gold and silver but probably lasts longer because it goes on thick. it is excellent to resist tarnish.

Here is the listing we created for the Nathan Hale briefcase with the Hampton Combination lock.

i will also take bespoke orders with this lock and switch it or add it to another style like the Thomas More that was mentioned.

Here are some close up photos and a short video so you can see how this lock really works. The snap to close is smooth and solid. This is a combination lock you set the numbers, and the dial works like a clock where the small one is from 1 to 12 and the big one is from 1 to 60.

0.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside, as you can see a nice clean solid lock with internal parts plated in Palladium. Through out the years, I have built, tested and installed, probably more variations of these flap over briefcases than anyone around. From buckles, to latches to locks of all sorts - i have never seen anything as just beautifully built inside and out as this Hampton lock. The dials click and glide around the clock in such a delicate manner that you think how could this be a devise on my briefcase and not my wrist.

don't get me wrong there are so many locks and latches that serve different purposes - my Strong Eye Latch is still my personal favorite because it is simple, a bit rough like a buckle and will last until the next ice age, which is probably soon so lets say - until world peace.

take this Eagle Lock from the old Connecticut luggage company i was able to get my hands on. Its an original, sitting on a shelf, probably since the 60's and getting some minor inside surface rust. It is nothing like the Hampton lock, but it is made with a hard steel case and springs and some brass parts. It is an older way to make locks that has a beauty of itself, like an old Ford truck. It has its own unique character and way about itself like an American tourist in Paris.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

At over $800 an ounce currently for Palladium i don't think anyone has a solid Palladium lock, not only that this is a hard metal so making a lock of this sophistication and such small intricate moving parts almost like a watch, would be very difficult. But you are right, i should make note that it is Solid Brass plated with Palladium. As stated, Palladium is a strong metal, like gold and silver but probably lasts longer because it goes on thick. it is excellent to resist tarnish. [COLOR=000000]Here is the listing we created for the Nathan Hale briefcase with the Hampton Combination lock. [/COLOR] i will also take bespoke orders with this lock and switch it or add it to another style like the Thomas More that was mentioned. Here are some close up photos and a short video so you can see how this lock really works. The snap to close is smooth and solid. This is a combination lock you set the numbers, and the dial works like a clock where the small one is from 1 to 12 and the big one is from 1 to 60. Here is a shot of the inside, as you can see a nice clean solid lock with internal parts plated in Palladium. Through out the years, I have built, tested and installed, probably more variations of these flap over briefcases than anyone around. From buckles, to latches to locks of all sorts - i have never seen anything as just beautifully built inside and out as this Hampton lock. The dials click and glide around the clock in such a delicate manner that you think how could this be a devise on my briefcase and not my wrist. don't get me wrong there are so many locks and latches that serve different purposes - my Strong Eye Latch is still my personal favorite because it is simple, a bit rough like a buckle and will last until the next ice age, which is probably soon so lets say - until world peace. take this Eagle Lock from the old Connecticut luggage company i was able to get my hands on. Its an original, sitting on a shelf, probably since the 60's and getting some minor inside surface rust. It is nothing like the Hampton lock, but it is made with a hard steel case and springs and some brass parts. It is an older way to make locks that has a beauty of itself, like an old Ford truck. It has its own unique character and way about itself like an American tourist in Paris.
I thought that was likely the case but was prepared to be very impressed if they really where solid :) We also work in palladium plated brass for buckles, its a good solution for a white metal finish. The lock looks like a nicely engineered and satisfying to use thing. I always find hardware is one of the hardest challenges for a leatherworker. The leather parts we can make to our own standards and only have ourselves to blame if they aren't perfect. The fittings therefore become a source of great frustration if what you imagine isnt available! Weve invested in more and more metal finishing equipment to get things finished as we want them - making in metal is very much beyond me though! Looks like you've found a good source there Charlie

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amazing job,BC !
but i wonder why you let the ledge of handle upward, because thought it would be inconvenient to grab.
correct me if i'm wrong, pls
smile.gif

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

amazing job,BC !
but i wonder why you let the ledge of handle upward, because thought it would be inconvenient to grab.
correct me if i'm wrong, pls:)

Thank you!

The 'ledge' you speak of actually sits in a void/vacant area in your palm when you carry the case. My intention was to leave a smooth and flat area at the bottom side of the handle, where most of the weight will be felt by your hand/fingers.

Trader George

Reaction score
Hello all! Sorry to intrude on this thread with a question, but I'm in need of some help. I've been looking for a briefcase, and I have been trying to make several decisions on which to get. I originally wanted to opt with saddleback thin briefcase:

However, I read that It could be quite bulky, but I need the large size to be able to fit my laptop in (that's a necessity). The dimensions of the large are 16 ¾” x 12 ½” x 4 ½” and I'm 5'9" and around 140 lbs. I'm not sure if this would be too big for a person my size, that's why I'm here asking.

After looking a bit more, I stumbled upon these two:

(Frank Clegg's The Captain's Briefcase)

(Frank Clegg's The Wall Street):

I highly prefer the ones from Frank Clegg, but the dimensions on both are 17.25" x 13" x 5" and 17.5" x 12" x 4" respectively.

My question here is as follows: which of these three bags, if any, would be best suited for a 5'9" 140 lb. male?

Also, are Jack George's products any good quality?

Thank you very much.

Brandeis

Reaction score
IMHO, either of the Frank Clegg bags, hands down. This of course assumes that you are not going to need your briefcase to resist an alligator’s jaws.

I own the Frank Clegg English Briefcase, which is slightly smaller than these two bags, and carry my ThinkPad, its charging equipment, and, usually everything else that I need. (For times when I need to carry more, I have the Clegg Lawyers Briefcase, which I purchased on E-Bay for approximately 50 % of Frank’s price, in pristine condition.)

Two or three years ago, I ordered a Saddleback—and promptly returned it. You will find, if you go with the Saddleback, that it is thicker, bulkier, and heavier than the Clegg or comparable bags. The edges on the Saddleback bags are thick, glued and—again, IMHO—artless. Frank Clegg’s edges are works of art.

I know one fellow about your weight, but somewhat taller, who has a Saddleback Large Briefcase. When he is carrying it, the bag appears to overwhelm the gentleman. The thickness and additional hardware on the Saddleback come at a price—that price being additional weight.

Jack Georges: First, do you have access to a TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning store? I regularly see apparently first-quality Jack Georges at both establishments. You can examine for yourself and get a better bargain, probably, than buying on line or at a specialty store. The quality seems excellent to me—though not up to Frank Clegg’s and others in the first rank of briefcases. The Jack Georges cases seem more pedestrian to me—but I am no doubt somewhat biased by the fact that Jack Georges’s briefcases are so frequently for sale at off-price stores.

I have a friend your size who is a superb dresser and a superb lawyer who carries two Jack Georges briefcases and is delighted by them. He also tells me that, when you call Jack Georges, you are apt to get Mr. Georges on the phone. The same is true, I know from experience, of Frank Clegg.

The Saddleback will no doubt, as advertised, last you for a lifetime. Now or later in that lifetime, however, you likely will want a briefcase that exudes quality and quiet elegance. The Frank Clegg briefcases will also last a lifetime, and they will do that for you. The Jack Georges, I can’t say.

Again, this is only one man’s opinion—though the opinion of someone who, like the others who follow this thread, spends way too much time thinking about and observing briefcases, and way too much money buying too many of them.

Good luck in making your choice.

Trader George

Reaction score
IMHO, either of the Frank Clegg bags, hands down. This of course assumes that you are not going to need your briefcase to resist an alligator’s jaws. I own the Frank Clegg English Briefcase, which is slightly smaller than these two bags, and carry my ThinkPad, its charging equipment, and, usually everything else that I need. (For times when I need to carry more, I have the Clegg Lawyers Briefcase, which I purchased on E-Bay for approximately 50 % of Frank’s price, in pristine condition.) Two or three years ago, I ordered a Saddleback—and promptly returned it. You will find, if you go with the Saddleback, that it is thicker, bulkier, and heavier than the Clegg or comparable bags. The edges on the Saddleback bags are thick, glued and—again, IMHO—artless. Frank Clegg’s edges are works of art. I know one fellow about your weight, but somewhat taller, who has a Saddleback Large Briefcase. When he is carrying it, the bag appears to overwhelm the gentleman. The thickness and additional hardware on the Saddleback come at a price—that price being additional weight. Jack Georges: First, do you have access to a TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning store? I regularly see apparently first-quality Jack Georges at both establishments. You can examine for yourself and get a better bargain, probably, than buying on line or at a specialty store. The quality seems excellent to me—though not up to Frank Clegg’s and others in the first rank of briefcases. The Jack Georges cases seem more pedestrian to me—but I am no doubt somewhat biased by the fact that Jack Georges’s briefcases are so frequently for sale at off-price stores. I have a friend your size who is a superb dresser and a superb lawyer who carries two Jack Georges briefcases and is delighted by them. He also tells me that, when you call Jack Georges, you are apt to get Mr. Georges on the phone. The same is true, I know from experience, of Frank Clegg. The Saddleback will no doubt, as advertised, last you for a lifetime. Now or later in that lifetime, however, you likely will want a briefcase that exudes quality and quiet elegance. The Frank Clegg briefcases will also last a lifetime, and they will do that for you. The Jack Georges, I can’t say. Again, this is only one man’s opinion—though the opinion of someone who, like the others who follow this thread, spends way too much time thinking about and observing briefcases, and way too much money buying too many of them. Good luck in making your choice.
Thank you very much for your input. I don't have access to either of those stores, unfortunately. However, after looking and researching a bit more, I am definitely set on Frank Cleggs. There's just one more problem I'm faced with: color. I'm very set on one of the two Frank Clegg cases I've posted, but I'm not sure what type of impression it will give off for every day use. Any insight/advice on colors and their impressions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads