• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anyone ever purchase an Ashton briefcase?

Namely this one:

https://www.astonleather.com/double-compartment-briefcase-p787.html

But in brown.

Opinions? Quality? I'm buying it new but for much less then the Ashton site price.

Honestly, it looks like cheap garbage if you ask me. Like a bag you can buy at Staples for $30 made of pleather.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Honestly, it looks like cheap garbage if you ask me. Like a bag you can buy at Staples for $30 made of pleather.
Harsh but true....there alot more value to be had at the $500 mark...

The grainy website pictures does not allow you to focus in on the leather...
probably trying to hide something grainy...AVIOD.

diglett

Reaction score
Speaking of Hermes...

And apologies in advance if this photo actually came from this thread; I've had it saved for ages and don't recall its origin.

malwear

Reaction score
New bag from Henry Tomkins. The model is the (not quite so) Full Monty -- I had Henry make it without the front pocket because I wanted something a little smaller. The color is brandy, which came out a little redder than I had hoped, though not unexpectedly so. Overall, I'm very pleased with it and Henry was a pleasure to work with. The construction seems very solid, and the leather looks and feels very nice. It's quite stiff right out of the box, but I expect it will break in nicely. My only real complaint is that the dye or paint used on the edges of the leather was applied a little messily in spots, but it's a very minor thing that you would never notice unless you were doing a careful inspection.

vm1336

Reaction score
Nice Tomkins. I conditioned mine with Obenauf's which darkened it a little bit and softened it, too. Now that it's been 4 months I will probably condition it again. I get lots of compliments on the bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads