• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breakfast Replacement Shake

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no interest in micronutrients as I don't think they'll help me lift more so I have no idea what your talking about, but its probably right. Acquire macros, disregard nutrition.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no interest in micronutrients as I don't think they'll help me lift more so I have no idea what your talking about, but its probably right. Acquire macros, disregard nutrition.

That's great, but the post you called broscience didn't specify macros, so by doing so just further highlighted your atrocious reading skills. Even if it did, whole food macros > supplements, possibly/probably due in part to the naturally-occurring micros that accompany them. Whether or not you have an interest in them is irrelevant.

But yea bro, you're probably right; disregard micros because they won't help your performance. Oh, wait.

Vitamin D may improve athletic performance
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19346976
Numerous studies, particularly in the German literature in the 1950s, show vitamin D-producing ultraviolet light improves athletic performance. Furthermore, a consistent literature indicates physical and athletic performance is seasonal; it peaks when 25-hydroxy-vitamin D [25(OH)D] levels peak, declines as they decline, and reaches its nadir when 25(OH)D levels are at their lowest. Vitamin D also increases the size and number of Type II (fast twitch) muscle fibers. Most cross-sectional studies show that 25(OH)D levels are directly associated with musculoskeletal performance in older individuals. Most randomized controlled trials, again mostly in older individuals, show that vitamin D improves physical performance.

Calcium increases testosterone in training subjects
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19099204
Our results show that training results in increased testosterone levels in athletes and that the increase is greater if accompanied by calcium supplementation, which may be useful for increasing overall athletic performance.

Those are just off the top of my head. If i could be bothered to find more it wouldn't be hard.

Last edited:

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shake:

12 oz skim milk
2 scoops Dymatize Elite Whey Protein Powder Cafe Mocha
4 tbsps natural peanut butter(crunchy)
40g of instant oatmeal
2 tsps ground cinnamon

Throw it all in a blender.

Absolutely delicious. Comes to 81.3 g(Protein), 63.3 g(Carb), 39.3 g(Fats), 884.4 Cal. If you want low carb, ditch the oatmeal. If you want low fat, ditch the peanut butter. I take it after workouts with a multi.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I have little direct data to support this"
bro science.

Yeah giving nutrients to older nutrient deprived individuals will probably make them feel better. 35mg per kg, 3150mg of calcium do not want. Does not state how much test increase, 5ng more from increased calories of taking more calcium? I like how angry you get on this part of the forum, you can insult my intelligence all you want, I still go to the best school in the world for econ. You said nutrients in drinks are not the same as nutrients from food, implies the protein from my whey is not the same as protein from a steak or something.

Last edited:

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rank chicago, harvard, princeton and upenn way ahead of LSE

Last edited:

Superfluous Man

Reaction score

You said nutrients in drinks are not the same as nutrients from food, implies the protein from my whey is not the same as protein from a steak or something.

It's not. Just as protein from chicken isn't the same as protein from beef. I'm not sure why we're talking about protein, though.

Nobody cares which school you go to.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah probably has a slightly different amino acid profile, does it matter? Will it still help you recover after lifting? People put too much thought into minute aspects of fitness.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"I have little direct data to support this"
bro science.

Yeah giving nutrients to older nutrient deprived individuals will probably make them feel better. 35mg per kg, 3150mg of calcium do not want. Does not state how much test increase, 5ng more from increased calories of taking more calcium? I like how angry you get on this part of the forum, you can insult my intelligence all you want, I still go to the best school in the world for econ.

Right, hence the word "theory" in the title of his post. He's extrapolating from other data; he's not just making things up because it sounds good. He also makes this prediction:

Prediction: we will find, over the coming decades that the hundreds/thousands of co-factors, etc found in whole foods make the nutrients in them work better which is why pills do little and food does much.

Just because something hasn't been proven in every instance imaginable doesn't make it broscience.

You said nutrients in drinks are not the same as nutrients from food, implies the protein from my whey is not the same as protein from a steak or something.

Uh, it's not. Hell, the nutrients from eggs aren't the same as the nutrients from beef aren't the same as the nutrients from broccoli. The comment that you called broscience wasn't even addressing the idea that naturally-ocurring forms of nutrients are better than those derived from supplements (which they very likely are, and in some cases, such as vitamin e, demonstrably are), it was simply saying that they're not the same (which they irrefutably aren't).

Oh you go to a top-ranked school for econ? As fascinating as that fact is, it's relevance to this discussion is precisely zero.

And I'm not angry, I'm just busting your balls, so don't take it personally.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah probably has a slightly different amino acid profile, does it matter? Will it still help you recover after lifting? People put too much thought into minute aspects of fitness.

Sure, but sufficient != optimal.

And I agree with your last point about overanalyzing, but you're the one who started this line of discussion by calling something broscience when it wasn't.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harrier2man