• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of the suede Vass uses for their boot shafts I'll say it's good. Based on all day comfort I don't think I could go back to leather shafted boots going forward now. The suede is super soft, flexible, and is the motivating force behind my recent EB Derby purchase from Skoak (suede shaft/leather upper) that should be here next week. I'll compare once they arrive. Keep in mind most brands use thinner leather and suede for their shafts than uppers. I also own a pair of Carmina suede derbys which are just as buttery.

I think my next Vass purchase will also be a reddish brown suede boot. Perhaps a U lasted "Theresianer High Boot".
Great boot, specially in suede; nothing to envy to Vasway or Galway boot.
peepwall[1].gif

I want it too.
smile.gif

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely give out negative points here as they're such a downer, but there's just too much going on in Jazzmenco's pair. The nice thing is that the colours can be unified afterwards with penetrating dyes.
If I dyed them a solid color they would look like the same as the other 20 pair of boots that I own. The "too much going on" is what makes them unique and exactly why I like them.
bigstar[1].gif

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I dyed them a solid color they would look like the same as the other 20 pair of boots that I own. The "too much going on" is what makes them unique and exactly why I like them.
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif
I like them a lot Jazz, and they are a pair of fantastic quality boots.
clap2.gif

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So glad it's boot weather again!

You can say that again. I've been wearing quite a few boots recently although I have an ev not coming up were I plan on wearing my latest pair of shoes. Watches and shoes, Oh my!! LOL

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Tri-color - pretty wild, Jazz. Deets?
Are you going to try some of your patterned socks with them?
cheers.gif

Thanks gents. The socks don't get a lot of visibility with boots so I'm not too picky! These are by Buday, the dark brown is suede, the uppers are deer leather, very soft and comfortable. The workmanship is outstanding, very pleased with these boots and brand. Check @edmorel for opportunities
mwink[1].gif

Check the shell cordovan thread for photos of my Buday whiskey cordovan budapesters.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks gents. The socks don't get a lot of visibility with boots so I'm not too picky! These are by Buday, the dark brown is suede, the uppers are deer leather, very soft and comfortable. The workmanship is outstanding, very pleased with these boots and brand. Check @edmorel
 for opportunities 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Check the shell cordovan thread for photos of my Buday whiskey cordovan budapesters.

Wow - a whole new world....just what I need.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a cross post from the Meermin thread. Perhaps someone with Norvegese construction experience can provide some guidance or insight:

Received long awaited norvegese MTO boot in brown naturecalf.
The good:

The brown naturecalf leather is very nice.
The shape of the hiro lasted boot is quite beautiful and classic.

The bad:

The welt and norvegese stitching seem quite messy in spots. Here are some pics.

inside of right boot, without flash:

inside of right boot, with flash:

inside of right boot from a bit further back:

front of right boot, without flash:

front of right boot, with flash:

This is my first pair of Norvegese shoes or boots so I have nothing to compare this to. However, based on online photos, it seems to me like this is quite sloppy Norvegese work. In addition, in certain areas you can see leather between the storm welt and the norvegese stitching, ie the norvegese stitching is too high on the boot. Edit: According to the MTO description these were supposed to have a flat welt and norvegese construction, so this was not even supposed to have a storm welt.

Can anyone tell me if I am right or wrong about these concerns?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mosy you are right & it should not look like that. I am not claiming to be expert but that's a very crappy job for brand new mto boot. My two cent, return it or exchange it for some thing else from your SA that you worked with.

Last edited:

ecwy

Reaction score
This is a cross post from the Meermin thread. Perhaps someone with Norvegese construction experience can provide some guidance or insight:

The good:

The bad:

The welt and norvegese stitching seem quite messy in spots. Here are some pics.

This is my first pair of Norvegese shoes or boots so I have nothing to compare this to. However, based on online photos, it seems to me like this is quite sloppy Norvegese work. In addition, in certain areas you can see leather between the storm welt and the norvegese stitching, ie the norvegese stitching is too high on the boot. Edit: According to the MTO description these were supposed to have a flat welt and norvegese construction, so this was not even supposed to have a storm welt.

It's not a storm welt I think. There is supposed to be a layer of leather between the chain norvegese and the welt. It just seems poorly done.

I'll dig for a pic in a sec... my pair of EB with chained norvegese that is neater.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a cross post from the Meermin thread.  Perhaps someone with Norvegese construction experience can provide some guidance or insight:

The good:  

The bad:

The welt and norvegese stitching seem quite messy in spots.  Here are some pics.

This is my first pair of Norvegese shoes or boots so I have nothing to compare this to.  However, based on online photos, it seems to me like this is quite sloppy Norvegese work.  In addition, in certain areas you can see leather between the storm welt and the norvegese stitching, ie the norvegese stitching is too high on the boot.  Edit: According to the MTO description these were supposed to have a flat welt and norvegese construction, so this was not even supposed to have a storm welt.

I can certainly understand your frustration, because it appears as your expectations were not met. Upon close inspection I don't think anyone could call this perfect work, but then again from what I've read about Meermin and the price your paying it would be a bit difficult for me to expect that i would get perfect work from them anyway. From what I've read they appear to have a fairly high amount of QC issues which is not the ncommon for shoemakers in that price range. This maybe a bit sloppy but not as obvious as others I have seen. I really wouldn't expect perfect execution from Meermin because they really aren't known for that. Now whether it's the right method or not I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that question

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads