• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am inclined to lean towards that train of thought; but I'm not sure if that is the correct correlation (ie better leather equating to shorter time to take the shine)  

All I know is most of the shoes and boots I polish now are effortless compared to the combat boots and low quarters I shined while in the military. I think the combination of polish I'm using and the better leather makes a big difference.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day back at the office.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
Boot guys! I am looking to make my first purchase of decent boots (outside of hiking and ski/snowboard boots), and I have a question:

How far up the "dressy" scale are you willing to go with a commando sole?

Only with jeans?
Good with chinos too?
Wool pants?
Even a suit?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boot guys! I am looking to make my first purchase of decent boots (outside of hiking and ski/snowboard boots), and I have a question:

Only with jeans?
Good with chinos too?
Wool pants?
Even a suit?

I personally would wear commando soles with everything except a full suit, but I think the design of the boot has more influence than the sole itself regarding dressy.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do commando soles with a suit or with sport coat and tie. A casual tweed jacket,no tie is as high as I would go.

And I am assuming a derby boot, as I wouldn't do a commando sole with a bal boot at all.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to get boots for my brother. Maximum budget is $100 to $150. I know I will be limited at this range. Is there anything out there? Looking for a casual boot.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Looking to get boots for my brother. Maximum budget is $100 to $150. I know I will be limited at this range. Is there anything out there? Looking for a casual boot.

The 'Freiburg' and 'Sauk Drive' from AE's Black Friday collection are in the Shoe Bank for $159. There may be some other boots under $150 as well. These are seconds. Some are indistinguishable from firsts, others have noticeable flaws. Shipping is free and you can return them to an AE outlet (free) or pay a $10 restock fee to ship them back or return them to an AE retail store.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only with jeans?
Good with chinos too?
Wool pants?
Even a suit?
I wouldn't even wear them with dress slacks, typically I would only pair them with jeans.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only with jeans?
Good with chinos too?
Wool pants?
Even a suit?

I think a commando sole on a dressy boot is fine for dress slacks and sportcoat or blazer, even a tie. Not a full suit though.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
I personally would wear commando soles with everything except a full suit, but I think the design of the boot has more influence than the sole itself regarding dressy.

I wouldn't do commando soles with a suit or with sport coat and tie. A casual tweed jacket,no tie is as high as I would go.

And I am assuming a derby boot, as I wouldn't do a commando sole with a bal boot at all.

I wouldn't even wear them with dress slacks, typically I would only pair them with jeans.

I think a commando sole on a dressy boot is fine for dress slacks and sportcoat or blazer, even a tie. Not a full suit though.

Thanks for the comments. This would be a cap toe blucher boot, probably in a tan grain. I would prefer to go without the commando sole, but having trouble finding something I really like in my price range. I love the Alfred Sargent Cambridge in rustic, but it is a little out of my price range (though the AFPOS sale right now would make it close). My ideal is the C&J Coniston, but that is quite out of my range. Thinking of settling for the Barker Lambourn in Cedar, Loake Dovedale, or Grenson Joseph (with commando sole). Also like the Barker Sherwood MTO from Pediwear, though clearly not tan or grain. Any comments on these choices? Grenson not so bad, even though made in India?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the comments.  This would be a cap toe blucher boot, probably in a tan grain.  I would prefer to go without the commando sole, but having trouble finding something I really like in my price range.  I love the Alfred Sargent Cambridge in rustic, but it is a little out of my price range (though the AFPOS sale right now would make it close).  My ideal is the C&J Coniston, but that is quite out of my range.  Thinking of settling for the Barker Lambourn in Cedar, Loake Dovedale, or Grenson Joseph (with commando sole).  Also like the Barker Sherwood MTO from Pediwear, though clearly not tan or grain.  Any comments on these choices?  Grenson not so bad, even though made in India?

I hate to settle, I hate to settle, I hate to settle. However reality is ill probably never be able to afford that Patek repeater. So I have set my sights on other things. So either save and wait for the C&J Coniston which may take another season to get which in my opinion would be worth the wait or go for the Alfred Sargent Cmbridge which it appears you might be:happy: able to swing.

ScooberJake

Reaction score
I hate to settle, I hate to settle, I hate to settle. However reality is ill probably never be able to afford that Patek repeater. So I have set my sights on other things. So either save and wait for the C&J Coniston which may take another season to get which in my opinion would be worth the wait or go for the Alfred Sargent Cmbridge which it appears you might be:happy: able to swing.

Thanks. Is the Sargent priced appropriately for the quality? Pretty close to Carmina, a good step up from Loake and Grenson? Where does Barker fall?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  Is the Sargent priced appropriately for the quality?  Pretty close to Carmina, a good step up from Loake and Grenson?  Where does Barker fall?

For the few Alfred Sargent shoes and boots I purchased a few years ago, I found their shoes and boots to be appropriately priced and even better so when on sale. I found their Exclusive line to be a step or so better than Carmina to be honest. Loake's 1880 line if I'm not mistaken was always considered to be on par with Allen Edmonds so I certainly would consider Carmina to be better than Loake. I don't have any experience with Grenson or Barker but price will generally give you a good idea as to what you can expect. But frankly all that aside I don't think you can go wrong with Alfred Sargean here unless you are unable to get a good fit for some reason or you just simply have your heart set on the C&J Coniston.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads