• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Fleece on Gilt

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Both will look equally outdated in a couple of years though. Slaves to different fashion trends.
Really? I'd rather wear something that appeals to me, rather then something middling in an attempt to look 'classic', which is a crock of BS anyway. Also, it's difficult to imagine this from a photo with my face cut out, but to my eyes the larger lapels look better than midway lapels on me because I feel they fit my physique/head size somewhat better. Trust me, I've tried both. Think shirt collars - there are often some that just look right on certain body/head types. Same for jacket lapels. So TBH 'fashion' had little to do with it, except in the sense that I realised that narrow lapels (which were peaking fashion-wise at the time my jacket was made) just didn't work on me. A bespoke response to an OTR phenomenon, if you will.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed. I expected a 10 paragraph treatise including at least 5 underlined phrases, 3 bolded words and a dozen uses of italics.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Or should it be
foo.gif
?

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xudisco07
I think the $1,900 might be the price from previous seasons when they were made in Italy.

These say that they are made in Italy. Not sure about the current season, but I think the italian-made one I bought in 2007 retailed for close to 3k.

element02

Reaction score
I remember the basic BBBF in stores retailing for ~$2,700. If Gilt "retail" prices are off, why? Wouldn't it interest more shoppers if they see they're getting an even better deal?

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by element02
I remember the basic BBBF in stores retailing for ~$2,700. If Gilt "retail" prices are off, why? Wouldn't it interest more shoppers if they see they're getting an even better deal?

It was a long time ago that they were selling for 2700. I think more recently they are selling for 1700. Some on the forum have said that the quality has gone down and/or they are no longer made in Italy, but I have no experience with the cheaper suits. I think that the retail prices are what they would call "comparative retail prices" rather than actual prices, but I'm not sure.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The suits were $2700 in f/w 2007 and s/s 2008 and then to reduced to $1900 in f/w 2008 followed by $1600 in fall 2009. However, many of the suits from all previous seasons are still in stores, and priced accordingly.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The suits were $2700 in f/w 2007 and s/s 2008 and then to reduced to $1900 in f/w 2008 followed by $1600 in fall 2009. However, many of the suits from all previous seasons are still in stores, and priced accordingly.

Thanks for the info. Do you have equally detailed knowledge about the quality/maker/country of origin of the various seasons?

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
Thanks for the info. Do you have equally detailed knowledge about the quality/maker/country of origin of the various seasons?

As it got cheaper in price the quality was not as good. I have a jacket from the first season that is absolutely amazing and better constructed than the suit I have from Fall 09.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
The suits were of great quality 2007 through 2008 but fell precipitously after that. The best seasons were s/s and f/w 2008, IMO, because the jackets were a tad longer.

element02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The suits were of great quality 2007 through 2008 but fell precipitously after that. The best seasons were s/s and f/w 2008, IMO, because the jackets were a tad longer.

How can you tell the difference between seasons or is it stated on the inside tag?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by element02
How can you tell the difference between seasons or is it stated on the inside tag?
The 2007 suits have it written on the tag in the back of the jackets. After 2007 they stopped indicating the season on the tag.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that 2007 was Italian made with MSRP $2700, 2008 was Italian made with MSRP $1900, and 2009 was US made with MSRP $1600. You can often tell from that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
It seems to me that 2007 was Italian made with MSRP $2700, 2008 was Italian made with MSRP $1900, and 2009 was US made with MSRP $1600. You can often tell from that.
Yep, the price is a good indicator although s/s 2008 was initially priced $2700 and then lowered to $1900 mid-season; however, there were some stores that did not lower the prices of the early 2008 suits such as the DC store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads