• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Tux Shirts?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
319IhcdtvmL._AA280_.jpg

And if this is a surprise to anybody, I'm going to give him a fire belly like he's never had.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sort of true, but it exposes the shallowness of your understanding.

Single cuffs are ALWAYS required on wing collar shirts, whether worn with white or black tie. These shirts are of course required with white tie, while only optional with black. Double cuffs are always incorrect with wing collars, and always incorrect with white tie.

Fascinating. Is there an explanation, historical or otherwise, for the link between single cuffs and wing collars?

All this time, I thought I was being transgressive wearing my single-cuff wing-collared shirt with PL tux and waistcoat. Turns out I was just following Manton's rules.

PS - All depth is on the surface, mofo.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Fascinating. Is there an explanation, historical or otherwise, for the link between single cuffs and wing collars?
Single cuffs are supposed to be very stiff, like the collar and the bib. The double cuff came to be as a softer compromise -- the two layers provide some heft, but overall the cuff is still much softer than an old fashioned stiff single link cuff.

PS - All depth is on the surface, mofo.
The surface is the core, jackass.

okdc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
there are Many options.
self pleat
swiss pleat
pique bibs.

French cuff or link cuff
wing collar or lay down collar. do not get a detachable collar

buy what you like that fits. In three years it will turn yellow and will never be white enough to wear again, so you will need a new shirt
Carl

This may the first time I have seen an attached wing collar advocated. Why are you in favor of them? They are certainly easier to find.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
^^ Have you ever tried to find someone in the western hemisphere who can either launder stiff collars or sell them in bulk? It's impossible. Even in England it's getting more difficult.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
^^ Have you ever tried to find someone in the western hemisphere who can either launder stiff collars or sell them in bulk? It's impossible. Even in England it's getting more difficult.

I thought Luke Eyres sold them in bulk? Maybe also Ede & Ravenscroft.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I wear a formal shirt from vintageshirtcompany.co.uk.

sh229l.jpg

Maybe not the best quality, but certainly not bad, at least I am satisfied. It was the only shirt I found with a heavily starched front and attachable collar.

So I wear it with both black and white tie (unfortunately for white tie there is only one occasion a year
musicboohoo[1].gif
). I have some turndown and wing collars from Luke Eyres and can therefor vary my looks.

Manton, would you consider it innappropriate to wear a peak lapel dinner jacket and waistcoat to the desribed shirt with a turndown collar?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

The surface is the core, jackass.

The problem inherent in the surface of things, and only in the surface of things, is the heart of things. *****.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The problem inherent in the surface of things, and only in the surface of things, is the heart of things. *****.

You two love each other, don't you?
fight[1].gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samba
...I despise those who wear a fold down collar with a bowtie (even though it is supposed to be the more modern look).
Introduced by The Duke.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
319IhcdtvmL._AA280_.jpg
And if this is a surprise to anybody, I'm going to give him a fire belly like he's never had.

Well, at least it has a boutonnière...

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
there are Many options.
self pleat
swiss pleat
pique bibs.

French cuff or link cuff
wing collar or lay down collar. do not get a detachable collar

Carl

What is a 'swiss pleat? And why do you recommend against getting a detachable collar?

Cordovan

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samba
I got my classic tux shirt at paul stewart. It's perfect: slim fitting, with correct bib, NO pleats, wing tip collar, of course, french cuff. I despise those who wear a fold down collar with a bowtie (even though it is supposed to be the more modern look).
Apparently, you know little about the wearing of bow ties, then.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I thought Luke Eyres sold them in bulk? Maybe also Ede & Ravenscroft.

Luke Eyres does sell them in bulk, but they're not inexpensive. Nor are Luke Eyres' as nice as the old Theak ones, IMHO. I might pop into E&R and see what they're doing these days. My recollection was that their selection was rather slim, but they seem to have placed a lot of emphasis on formawear these days, so perhaps things have improved.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe E&R were also selling theirs online.

I have not looked into this very hard, as I don't wear stiff collars, but my impression is Luke Eyres was the cheapest of the lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads