• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt recommendations

AJ1

Reaction score
+1 for Charles Tyrwhitt new super slim line. I used to have to buy shirts only to get them tailored and these are perfect right out of the packaging.

Nat Jag

Reaction score
A few people have mentioned Budd, Turnbull and Asser, Emma Willis, While these do indeed make top quality shirts, I think you may find their sleeves too long for you, if the Pink shirt was too long in the sleeves. Therefore TM Lewin, Charles Tywhitt, and Hawes and Curtis, all make shorter sleeves and various fits.

Noahsi

Reaction score
Thanks again -

I’ll check out Charles Tyrwhitt and Ledbury as well. Haven’t had a chance to go shopping yet. Will chime back in once have tried on a few of the suggestions.

I agree with the comments above. No one knows how much you’ve spent on a shirt and buying nice clothes in my opinion is more for your own personal enjoyment rather than to “show off” or impress anyone. In that sense I’ve always taken pleasure from feeling like I am wearing quality items that look sharp whether dressy or casual and it is in this vein that I was asking for recommendations as I am just not familiar with business clothing anymore.

Thanks again!

Noahsi

Reaction score
I checked out Drakes today. I liked the shirts a lot. The only minor issue is I felt the upper sleeve was a little baggy and the cuff was a tad tight, but it still worked well. They have a deal of 3 shirts for $430 or in the U.K. it would be 300 GBP which is more like $390 (great deal) so I’ll probably just buy a few when I’m there in a few weeks.

The pants at Drakes didn’t work well for me, I thought they were not really slim enough, so still looking on those.

Still planning on trying on the Kamakura as well as a few others when time permits. Also, are there any noteworthy stores in Chicago that aren’t in NYC? Will be there this weekend. And any thoughts on Paul Stuart?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart is fantastic IMO but might not be as slim-fitting as you might want. I find their shirts to be a bit full cut but I only have a few.

Great place for suits, ties and the rest. High quality, stylish but fairly expensive.

Truth be told, if I was allowed to shop at only one menswear vendor it would be Paul Stuart. I am over 50, though...

heelguy

Reaction score
I second Paul Stuart. Hard to go wrong there although most of their dress shirts are now around $230/each unless they are on sale.

Noahsi

Reaction score
I almost bought a couple of shirts there a few years ago but agree they were too full - they suggested having the tailor take them in which could work but adds to the price. Wasn’t sure if they had anything slimmer since I last went in which was a while ago.

Agreed they are great for everything else, suits, ties, bow ties etc.

IdesofMarch

Reaction score
Hi,

I have read some decent things about the shirts at a store called COS recently. Based on your requirements, they may be what you are looking for. The shirts retail for 90.00 US. Also, when you can afford to, I would recommend you take a look at Ascot Chang.

acconrad

Reaction score
I'm surprised only 1 person recommended Borrelli. I've always thought of them as the ne plus ultra of men's dress shirts. Turnbull & Asser and Charvet are also up there as well.

pacnyc

Reaction score
I can second the Ledbury thing. Italian fabric and quality construction. I also sale shop Barneys and the other luxury big guys. You can get Zegna and Finamore shirts at steep discounts. Have yet to have any shirts made but am sure I’m headed that way.
Unless you have a lot of time and money on your hands (and the inclination), I too would recommend just going to Barney’s or Bergdorf and trying on a bunch of shirts by different makers. It’s useful to establish one functional, easy-to-find shirt you can live with (for me, it’s Zegna, whose shirts off the rack fit as if tailored for me), and then when you see them on sale you can stock up. White shirts have a short lifespan!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a lot of time and money on your hands (and the inclination), I too would recommend just going to Barney’s or Bergdorf and trying on a bunch of shirts by different makers. It’s useful to establish one functional, easy-to-find shirt you can live with (for me, it’s Zegna, whose shirts off the rack fit as if tailored for me), and then when you see them on sale you can stock up. White shirts have a short lifespan!
Same here. Zegna and Finamore shirts fit me perfectly.

Noahsi

Reaction score
Thanks again! I ended up buying 4 shirts at Charles Tyrwhitt the other day.. $40 each on sale, can’t beat that and the fit was good, actually stick with the regular slim fit. Planning on picking up a few more shirts from Drakes and then calling it a day. Still need to figure out the pants situation.

Terrence O'Connor

Reaction score
8CC318C1-4806-46A3-8176-BFB05DE4BE99.jpeg
I have been a customer of CEGO for more than twenty years and have never been disappointed in my shirts, sometimes my fabric choice. My fault not Carl’s.
A few from my closet.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads