• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Quality Suit at Marks and Spencer ?!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, full canvass and hand-sewn buttonholes are all fine and and very good value if the suit actually fits you. However, I thought one of the main points of full canvass and handsewing was that the chest could be made to fit to the individual's body more perfectly, so with bespoke tailoring or the better forms of MTM (the ones that actually do the measurements properly and make an indvidual pattern), this makes a big difference. But with RTW, this makes less of a difference, surely? Or at least, it will be hit and miss whether the jacket is going to fit your proportions anyway. Frankly, I'd rather pay for a good MTM service for only a little more than this than buy RTW, which almost never fit me (and this has been my past experience with M&S).

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A very good point. Perhaps you could do one of your patented deconstruction jobs on one of these M&S suits...

I will be interested in that review.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A very good point. Perhaps you could do one of your patented deconstruction jobs on one of these M&S suits...

Cross-posted from another thread

While the nuance may be lost on most people not in the industry, my dissections have never been about commercial reviews of product, but rather about studying what other guys are doing and learning from it. Everyone in the industry does this,I just chose to put it out there for other people to see.
For those who don't know, I work in the RTW and MTM tailored clothing industry, for a company that is probably familiar to most people on this forum. For that reason I have carefully selected garments for dissection which would not fall into the same market segment as those that we sell, to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest. I have also refused several requests to do product reviews from people who were offering product, for the sole reason that a proper "review" should be completely unbiased and impartial in fact and in appearance. A fair and impartial commercial review should include the opinions of several reviewers, not just one, and they should be seen to be at arm's length from the product being reviewed; I think we can all agree that review of a Brioni garment done by an employee of Kiton would be somewhat suspect.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These suits do actually look and feel quite good although the detail specification is not perfect - only one back pocket - fine for some but not all and certainly an omission at this price point

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm glad someone else had seen them! But do most suits have two back pockets ?

Not at M and S - a serial failing across most of their trousers - this change/improvement seems to have passed them by completely which is surprising that their quality and specifications generally are reasonably good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads