1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Quality Suit at Marks and Spencer ?!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tippo, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Tippo

Tippo Member

I wonder if anyone has seen this suit. Its an expensive sartorial range made in China £499 for the suit. I bought one last week and it is a very unusual RTW suit. The suit has a full floating canvas and what is very odd, all the buttonholes are handmade. And I mean handmade ! I examined the stitching with a X10 lens !! Has anyone seen a RTW with handmade buttonholes? Some Tom Fords have the lapel buttonhole made by hand but to have all 11 buttonholes handstitched is almost unheard of in the RTW world! Please have a look next time you're in M&S !!

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I believe the M&S sartorial suits and jackets are made by Sinoer in Shandong province. Sinoer seem to be one of the few Chinese suit makers, that does things like floating canvas, not glued, handmade button-holes, etc, as standard with RTW tailored garments.

FYI http://sinoer.com/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I brought one a while ago, sadly with the wrong size, hope that SFer enjoyed the quality of the garment.

5. Tippo

Tippo Member

thanks for the link,
    the online mail seems to be in chinese only ?

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

They are a Chinese company, and I can read Chinese. :) There is an "English" button, has some information.

They do state on their site that they make M&S Sartorial line, as well supplying Brooks Brothers. Whether M&S sources all their sartorial from this company, I don't know. I've been in the Sinoer stores in Jinan, Shandong, looked like they do good stuff. The RTW suits and jackets I saw appeared to be very high-quality, canvassed and hand finished. Which seemed quite unusual. Most tailored menswear I see in China is fused, and can be rather mediocre.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. add911_11

Their Taboo shop seems rather disappointing.

8. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Whose "Taboo shop seems disappointing"?

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like they've got an official Taobao store, There's just half a dozen ties and couple of shirts from private vendors. I normally associate Taobao with cheap and knock-off. It's the Chinese version of Ebay, but worse. Tip: never buy Levi 501s from Taobao. :fu:

Maybe they're already doing more than enough keeping M&S and Brooks supplied, as well as their own B&M stores? Many of the larger Chinese apparel companies have their own online stores, like Heilan, JoeOne or Vancl, or run them through T-mall, which is more like Amazon.

10. add911_11

No wonder why their Taobao e-merchant looks depressing.

11. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

So does this mean that M&S MTM is superior to Tom Ford, Zegna Couture, Brioni, etc...?

12. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Well-Known Member

Oxxford sews the buttonholes by hand.

Some of the Italian brands have handsewn buttonholes. Attolini comes to mind.

13. Tippo

Tippo Member

How much is an Attolini or a Tom Ford suit? 2- 4K ?

14. Tippo

Tippo Member

There is no M&S MTM as far as I know. One must compare suits in similar price range

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

So the M&S is something 4-6 times less expensive than Attolini, Brioni, Zegna?

Handsewn in Italy by Chinese or handswen in China by Chinese? The choice is yours.

16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Of course, full canvass and hand-sewn buttonholes are all fine and and very good value if the suit actually fits you. However, I thought one of the main points of full canvass and handsewing was that the chest could be made to fit to the individual's body more perfectly, so with bespoke tailoring or the better forms of MTM (the ones that actually do the measurements properly and make an indvidual pattern), this makes a big difference. But with RTW, this makes less of a difference, surely? Or at least, it will be hit and miss whether the jacket is going to fit your proportions anyway. Frankly, I'd rather pay for a good MTM service for only a little more than this than buy RTW, which almost never fit me (and this has been my past experience with M&S).

17. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

does not necessarily mean WELL sewn

18. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

A very good point. Perhaps you could do one of your patented deconstruction jobs on one of these M&S suits...

19. add911_11

I will be interested in that review.

20. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

Cross-posted from another thread