• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Quality Suit at Marks and Spencer ?!

Tippo

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has seen this suit. Its an expensive sartorial range made in China £499 for the suit. I bought one last week and it is a very unusual RTW suit. The suit has a full floating canvas and what is very odd, all the buttonholes are handmade. And I mean handmade ! I examined the stitching with a X10 lens !! Has anyone seen a RTW with handmade buttonholes? Some Tom Fords have the lapel buttonhole made by hand but to have all 11 buttonholes handstitched is almost unheard of in the RTW world! Please have a look next time you're in M&S !!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mayhem%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the M&S sartorial suits and jackets are made by Sinoer in Shandong province. Sinoer seem to be one of the few Chinese suit makers, that does things like floating canvas, not glued, handmade button-holes, etc, as standard with RTW tailored garments.

FYI http://sinoer.com/

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought one a while ago, sadly with the wrong size, hope that SFer enjoyed the quality of the garment.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the link,
the online mail seems to be in chinese only ?

They are a Chinese company, and I can read Chinese. :) There is an "English" button, has some information.

They do state on their site that they make M&S Sartorial line, as well supplying Brooks Brothers. Whether M&S sources all their sartorial from this company, I don't know. I've been in the Sinoer stores in Jinan, Shandong, looked like they do good stuff. The RTW suits and jackets I saw appeared to be very high-quality, canvassed and hand finished. Which seemed quite unusual. Most tailored menswear I see in China is fused, and can be rather mediocre.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their Taboo shop seems rather disappointing.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Their Taboo shop seems rather disappointing.

Doesn't look like they've got an official Taobao store, There's just half a dozen ties and couple of shirts from private vendors. I normally associate Taobao with cheap and knock-off. It's the Chinese version of Ebay, but worse. Tip: never buy Levi 501s from Taobao. :fu:

Maybe they're already doing more than enough keeping M&S and Brooks supplied, as well as their own B&M stores? Many of the larger Chinese apparel companies have their own online stores, like Heilan, JoeOne or Vancl, or run them through T-mall, which is more like Amazon.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wonder why their Taobao e-merchant looks depressing.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

* * * Has anyone seen a RTW with handmade buttonholes? Some Tom Fords have the lapel buttonhole made by hand but to have all 11 buttonholes handstitched is almost unheard of in the RTW world! * * */SIZE]

Oxxford sews the buttonholes by hand.

Some of the Italian brands have handsewn buttonholes. Attolini comes to mind.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much is an Attolini or a Tom Ford suit?   2- 4K ?

So the M&S is something 4-6 times less expensive than Attolini, Brioni, Zegna?

Handsewn in Italy by Chinese or handswen in China by Chinese? The choice is yours.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads